The Orville

Non Star Trek: Star Wars, Firefly, BSG, Babylon 5, Stargate, etc.

Moderator: Dancyer McCoy

Forum rules
For those who haven't noticed the Forum Rules have been revised. It might be a good idea to take a look at them if you haven't read them for awhile. You'll find them in the Forum Rules forum at the top of the index page.

The Orville

Postby jayphailey » Thu May 18, 2017 3:22 pm

I told a joke. "If it has people in pajamas pretending they're on a
space ship, I'm there."

So, now, coming up we have Star Trek Discovery and The Orville.

Am I a bad trekkie because I am looking forward to the Orville as much
as Discovery?

The caveat of Orville seems to be "Everyman meets Star Trek" and I think
that idea has legs. We'll see if they can pull it off. Almost like
"Galaxy Quest: The Series"

Interestingly enough, I am no longer there for every series with a
space ship in it. There was a Sci-Fi show called "Killjoys" that I
wandered away from. You can tell what it was - "We want something like
Firefly meets Riddick" And it sounds like that if it was created by people who are not terribly literate about science fiction world building.

There's one called "Dark Matter" which, I think is okay. Just not terribly excited about. It's not written that well, although I think the
premise has legs.

I enjoyed what I saw of The Expanse, but I haven't put the time into catching up with it. It's real science fiction. Hard SF on TV. Zowie.

So, we're living in a time that's the opposite of the Drought in the
1970s and 1980s. A Flood of series where people dressed funny pretends they're on a space ship.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Re: The Orville

Postby Gazomg » Thu May 18, 2017 6:02 pm

Both discovery and Orville are the same.

Both are made taking the piss out of trek and its fans....at least Orville is doing some in your face as a comedy, discovery is taking the piss and expect fans to be excited.

MANIPULATIONS ON MY SITE - 1413 - June 24th -
Gazomg
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby jayphailey » Thu May 18, 2017 8:22 pm

We'll see what we see.

I don't expect CBS to keep it locked away forever.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Postby Bry_Sinclair » Thu May 18, 2017 10:53 pm

I'm looking forward more to The Orville now, it at least has the look of 24th century Trek if nothing else.

Plus it's got Kasidy Yates!
Avatar: Captain Reihyn, Commanding Officer, U.S.S. Orion (circa 2375)
Artist: FltCpt. Bossco
Bry_Sinclair
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby jayphailey » Fri May 19, 2017 12:07 am

Agreed.

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Postby Michael » Fri May 19, 2017 11:24 am

Hey, Jay! How are you?

The trailer looks good, and has a very Trek/Galaxy Quest feel to it. That's a good thing. :)
-Michael Gray
"In Great Deeds Something Abides"
Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Postby Moogie » Fri May 19, 2017 12:14 pm

I don't think you're a bad Trekkie at all!

The preview to the Orville looked amazing to me! Very much in keeping with the vibe of Galaxy Quest. I'm impressed by the makeup, costumes and everything for a TV series. Looked more like a movie preview!

As far as Star Trek Discovery - that actually has me a little more hesitant. I admit that watching the preview gave me goosebumps. A lot of the visuals are really stunning. I adore the 2 female leads. I really loved Sonequa Martin-Green from The Walking Dead.

I think one of my biggest confusions about Discovery is why they decided to do a prequel. I feel like there's a lot more room for continuity problems. In addition, I don't understand why they drastically changed the appearance of the Klingons. It's one thing to improve prosthetics and makeup application and another to entirely rewrite the alien race. With that said, that's not something Star Trek hasn't done before. The Trill, Bajorans and Ferengi went through some major revisions during the shows. Even during DS9, the Cardassians changed from grey to green during a couple seasons. I don't personally enjoy the appearance of the new Klingons, but I don't know if that should ruin it in its entirety for me.

Discovery kind of reminds me more of the new Mass Effect: Andromeda game.

Overall, i'm excited for both! But probably the Orville a little more.
Moogie
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class

Postby jayphailey » Fri May 19, 2017 10:16 pm

Moogie wrote:I don't think you're a bad Trekkie at all!

Thank you!

I think one of my biggest confusions about Discovery is why they decided to do a prequel. I feel like there's a lot more room for continuity problems.

Well, that's not what I would have done, certainly. Every Star Trek is a creature of it's times. One of the reasons Ent struggled is it had a hard time getting comfortable with itself and being just what Ent was. Discovery has had struggles behind the scenes. I hope they get over this all before it gets to the screen.

Overall, i'm excited for both! But probably the Orville a little more.

I really hope both succeed and both are good.

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Postby sirus » Sat May 20, 2017 5:24 am

I'm a bit late to this party, but after seeing the Orville trailer and the Discovery trailer I am honestly looking forward to Orville more. I likely won't watch either when they first come out, I'm a binge watcher kind of guy and I plan to pay for CBS All Access for one month and that is it.

To me Orville at least knows what it is. It's a Stark Trek parody and it's gonna wear that hat. I don't personally think Star Trek Discovery knows what it is. For me STD (yeah, that is the shortened version, funny isn't it) will be Star Trek in the same way STID is Star Trek. If you squint and have bad enough eyesight it looks right. And let's not ever go into what it will do to the canon.

Orville is free of that sort of stuff. It can be whatever it wants. I hope it will be funny, but recently nothing with Seth MacFarlane has amused me. Though I could just be getting more bitter with age.

Post-Script : Also, the second I see it's sci-fi and Fox I await the notice that it canceled...
From ignorance lead me to truth
From darkness lead me to light
From death lead me to immortality

ryjuda.deviantart.com
sirus
Ensign
Ensign

Postby Moogie » Sat May 20, 2017 1:27 pm

sirus wrote:I'm a bit late to this party, but after seeing the Orville trailer and the Discovery trailer I am honestly looking forward to Orville more. I likely won't watch either when they first come out, I'm a binge watcher kind of guy and I plan to pay for CBS All Access for one month and that is it.

To me Orville at least knows what it is. It's a Stark Trek parody and it's gonna wear that hat. I don't personally think Star Trek Discovery knows what it is. For me STD (yeah, that is the shortened version, funny isn't it) will be Star Trek in the same way STID is Star Trek. If you squint and have bad enough eyesight it looks right. And let's not ever go into what it will do to the canon.

Orville is free of that sort of stuff. It can be whatever it wants. I hope it will be funny, but recently nothing with Seth MacFarlane has amused me. Though I could just be getting more bitter with age.

Post-Script : Also, the second I see it's sci-fi and Fox I await the notice that it canceled...

I'm with you there! I'm also a binge watcher! I am far too impatient to wait around to watch things episode by episode... >> Haha

Ack! I hadn't even considered STD as their abbreviation! What an unfortunate name!

Have you seen A million ways to die in the west? I'm not always one for super absurd comedy, but for some reason that one was hilarious to me.
Moogie
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class

Postby jayphailey » Sun May 21, 2017 2:17 am

I'm a bit late to this party,

Nonsense. That's the great thing about a forum, there's no expectation of swift reply, unlike Twitter or Facebonk.

but after seeing the Orville trailer and the Discovery trailer I am honestly looking forward to Orville more. I likely won't watch either when they first come out, I'm a binge watcher kind of guy and I plan to pay for CBS All Access for one month and that is it.

I was going to shorten it to DISC, like ENT.

This is one reason why I'd set a show in the 2390s after TNG, DS9 and VOY all wrapped up. That way you have some new ground to go over, without undoing old shows.

I am not too fond of the idea of Orville as a spoof as in "Like star trek but with bathroom jokes"

But they're calling it a Comedy Drama.

I have high hopes that this means they'll takes every day people and torture them with trolley problems.

Because seriously, that's the strength of a show like Star Trek and no one seems to have figured that out, very much.

I haven't gotten to see "A million ways to die in the west" yet. I am not often in contact with much McFarlane does.

That's a good point. And a sad point. But it's sad because it's accurate.

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Postby sirus » Sun May 21, 2017 3:21 am

Also, I just want to say I am looking forward making plenty of manips with these uniforms. They look fun to me, much better than STDs (yes I am going to keep using it).
From ignorance lead me to truth
From darkness lead me to light
From death lead me to immortality

ryjuda.deviantart.com
sirus
Ensign
Ensign

Postby jayphailey » Sun May 21, 2017 2:00 pm

sirus wrote:Also, I just want to say I am looking forward making plenty of manips with these uniforms. They look fun to me, much better than STDs (yes I am going to keep using it).

:D :D :D :D

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Postby Bry_Sinclair » Sun May 21, 2017 3:36 pm

I'm wondering if anyone will post the Discovery characters in the proper uniforms of the 2250s (no that's not a hint before anyone asks).
Avatar: Captain Reihyn, Commanding Officer, U.S.S. Orion (circa 2375)
Artist: FltCpt. Bossco
Bry_Sinclair
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby jayphailey » Mon May 22, 2017 10:42 pm

Bry_Sinclair wrote:I'm wondering if anyone will post the Discovery characters in the proper uniforms of the 2250s (no that's not a hint before anyone asks).

The Cage uniforms?

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Next

Return to Other Sci-Fi, & Fantasy