Trailer:Brightburn

Non Star Trek: Star Wars, Firefly, BSG, Babylon 5, Stargate, etc.

Moderator: Dancyer McCoy

Forum rules
For those who haven't noticed the Forum Rules have been revised. It might be a good idea to take a look at them if you haven't read them for awhile. You'll find them in the Forum Rules forum at the top of the index page.
Quoshara
Klingon Admin
Klingon Admin

Trailer:Brightburn

Post by Quoshara » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:38 pm

*~Quo~*

Fic ahoy!

Well, damn....what should I write next? Hmmmmmmmm......

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Re: Trailer:Brightburn

Post by JM1776 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:03 am

Spoiler:
So it's a "What if Superboy were EEEVVVILLL?" story.

Hope DC sues.
I wish people could come up with their own ideas.

Quoshara
Klingon Admin
Klingon Admin

Post by Quoshara » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:27 pm

JM1776 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:03 am
Spoiler:

Hope DC sues.
You probably won't agree with this but.... isn't all fiction basically a matter of saying "What if?"

What if instead of turning left, you went right? What if Kennedy hadn't been assasinated? Or Lincoln? What if this person were to fall in love with that one? What if instead of Kirk, Spock and McCoy...THESE guys were on a starship?
*~Quo~*

Fic ahoy!

Well, damn....what should I write next? Hmmmmmmmm......

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:24 pm

Quoshara wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:27 pm
JM1776 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:03 am
Spoiler:

Hope DC sues.
You probably won't agree with this but.... isn't all fiction basically a matter of saying "What if?"

What if instead of turning left, you went right? What if Kennedy hadn't been assasinated? Or Lincoln? What if this person were to fall in love with that one? What if instead of Kirk, Spock and McCoy...THESE guys were on a starship?
Of course I agree with it. It in no way refutes my point.

The story, as portrayed in that trailer, is sufficiently Superman's that it's almost proprietary: What if Superman went/was bad? Red Sun discusses it. So does Injustice, that DC series in which Joker goads Supes into killing him. But those are DC's stories. Come up with your own freakin' narrative, not your variant on someone else's ... and, like it or not, admit it or not, this one's too much Superman's story for me to give it much credence.

Then, again, I think the same of The Orville ... and most people seem to disagree.

I respect their fundamental right to be wrong.

JaceRidley
-The Captain-
-The Captain-

Post by JaceRidley » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:07 pm

"I wish people could come up with their own ideas"

He says on a forum dedicated to Photomanipulations of Celebrities in Star Trek Uniforms for Star Trek Fanfiction. :wink:

There really aren't any truly original ideas anymore. Everything is a remix. Everything is fanfiction to some degree. There's nothing wrong with that as long as you aren't just stealing someone else's words.

The trick is doing the remix your own way.

This movie looks kinda interesting. Probably not something I'll rush to the movies on, but I'll check it out.

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:54 pm

He says on a forum dedicated to Photomanipulations of Celebrities in Star Trek Uniforms for Star Trek Fanfiction. :wink:
Thanks for pointing that out ... because, of course, your appreciation of irony is much more deeply evolved than mine. :roll:

It's not sufficiently on point, though.

Our work is not for profit ... and has been de facto encouraged over time by its owners. These people are going to make money off an idea that clearly doesn't belong to them, and that is sufficiently derivative to turn discerning heads. That's the line we shouldn't cross, and what makes it in my opinion unethical.
There really aren't any truly original ideas anymore. Everything is a remix. Everything is fanfiction to some degree. There's nothing wrong with that as long as you aren't just stealing someone else's words.
It's a matter of degree, granted ... and nevertheless one can sense something almost instinctively wrong with stealing something that's obviously still a money-maker for its owners, as Superman is.
The trick is doing the remix your own way.
And they're already starting insufficiently "their own way" for me to find it acceptable.
This movie looks kinda interesting. Probably not something I'll rush to the movies on, but I'll check it out.
Enjoy.