Could Doctor Who ever be a Woman?

Non Star Trek: Star Wars, Firefly, BSG, Babylon 5, Stargate, etc.

Moderator: Dancyer McCoy

Forum rules
For those who haven't noticed the Forum Rules have been revised. It might be a good idea to take a look at them if you haven't read them for awhile. You'll find them in the Forum Rules forum at the top of the index page.
chasnicollette
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Re: Could Doctor Who ever be a Woman?

Post by chasnicollette » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:39 am

Precisely!

Dame Judi, I don't see it. I can see her as being Lady President of Gallifrey, if the Time Lock issue is resolved and Rassilon's regenerated (regenderated?) similarly to The Doctor. But Helen would be like the X-chromosomal equivalent of The Third Doctor. Wit and snark and badassery and no time for nonsense.

Of course, she might need a little stunt-doubling for the Venusian aikido...

Jamie Murray would then be the Time Lady equivalent of The Eighth Doctor. That sort of Victorian flair...
"He has a range of awareness that startles you, but it belongs to him by right, because it belongs to the world he lives in. If there were enough like him, the world would be a very safe place to live in, without becoming too dull to be worth living in." -Raymond Chandler.

"Allons-y." -The Tenth Doctor.

(AV: JM1776)

Ezri
Commander
Commander

Post by Ezri » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:27 am

chasnicollette wrote:
Ezri wrote:
Kate Beckinsale, love girls with guns. Not sure she would like to play the Doctor. Not sure she want to dum down her personia being the Doctor.
No offense, Ezri. And I don't mean to pile on.

I do dearly love Kate. I think she's sexy as Hell and (sorry Joe) I rather enjoyed the "Underworld" franchise, I'm pretty excited for the new one.
Going to see the movie as well. She is a very stronger character, maybe even stronger then Alice in Resident Evil. Reason I say that, Resident Evil has going what the fans like. Like the clones, fight and all get killed and nobody, not even Alice wanted them around. Little out of her character, not to care for her clones.

Back on topic, I am not sure who could be the woman Doctor Who.
Underworld Awaking January 20, 2012

chasnicollette
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by chasnicollette » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:32 pm

I don't think it was so much that Alice didn't care that her clones were dying, but that they all shared the singleminded drive to close down Umbrella, even at the cost of their own lives. They all knew the risk and the cost and they did whatever it took, up to and including perishing in bullet-time droves.

There are a number of "Who" supporting actresses I'd nominate to play The Doctor. After all, it didn't stop Colin Baker. Billie Piper, for one, Georgia Moffet, Eve Myles... Even Catherine Tate, who actually *was* The Doctor, in a sense, if only briefly.
"He has a range of awareness that startles you, but it belongs to him by right, because it belongs to the world he lives in. If there were enough like him, the world would be a very safe place to live in, without becoming too dull to be worth living in." -Raymond Chandler.

CamSPD
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by CamSPD » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:42 am

Oh, Catherine would be great, and they could even have her say, first time she looks in a mirror, "Oh, lovely. Why'd I have to go and look like Donna Noble?"

I'd also go for Georgia Moffett being the Doctor.
"Ah! She is a writer!"
We are free because of the brave.

Ezri
Commander
Commander

Post by Ezri » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:40 am

chasnicollette wrote:I don't think it was so much that Alice didn't care that her clones were dying, but that they all shared the singleminded drive to close down Umbrella, even at the cost of their own lives. They all knew the risk and the cost and they did whatever it took, up to and including perishing in bullet-time droves.
Is it wise for the Alice clones to all go and fight to the death? A smart military outlook would hold back maybe two or more in the case all die in the operation. As it could happen that the operation fails, then the clones and Alice are dead without destroying them. Would be better to have a fall back, so the clones could make clones could make their own clones for a second operation.
Underworld Awaking January 20, 2012

chasnicollette
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by chasnicollette » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:01 pm

Ezri wrote:
chasnicollette wrote:I don't think it was so much that Alice didn't care that her clones were dying, but that they all shared the singleminded drive to close down Umbrella, even at the cost of their own lives. They all knew the risk and the cost and they did whatever it took, up to and including perishing in bullet-time droves.
Is it wise for the Alice clones to all go and fight to the death? A smart military outlook would hold back maybe two or more in the case all die in the operation. As it could happen that the operation fails, then the clones and Alice are dead without destroying them. Would be better to have a fall back, so the clones could make clones could make their own clones for a second operation.
Wise and proper military tactics are not always the best option for the entertainment and thrilling of the masses.

See also: "The A-Team."
CamSPD wrote:Oh, Catherine would be great, and they could even have her say, first time she looks in a mirror, "Oh, lovely. Why'd I have to go and look like Donna Noble?"

I'd also go for Georgia Moffett being the Doctor.
Tate would be amazing. Seriously she would.

Seeing her tear down UNIT or The Shadow Proclamation for their own idiot tactics would be popcorn-worthy.

I adored Georgia as The Doctor's Daughter, I've said this before. She was a wonder.

It's already been mentioned that Romana's regeneration left her with a number of options, apparently because she was more skilled with the process than The Doctor himself. One of the options which she presented was that of a character she had encountered in the past-- thus, Lalla Ward became Romana the Second, when she had already portrayed a significant supporting role. Therefore, in choosing an actress to play the "regenderated" Doctor, such supporting actresses would not necessarily be off the table. It would, however, be portrayed as a wholly random occurrence, as The Doctor lacks skill (at least consciously) in regulating his regenerations.

(Or, in Donna's case, it could be portrayed as a residual effect of the biological meta-crisis that made her, temporarily, an avatar for The Doctor's prodigious intellect.)

CamSPD
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by CamSPD » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:39 pm

Ooh, now there's an idea---the residual energy which we know still resides in her brain but is only blocked suddenly manifests itself, and instead of killing the host body...converts it! So the original Doctor can stay a man, and we'd have two of them, one male and one female! LOL!
"Ah! She is a writer!"
We are free because of the brave.

KahlessOfVulcan
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Post by KahlessOfVulcan » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:42 pm

That would be awesome! Donna Noble becoming a full Time Lord is a great idea.
"You may think you're stronger than me - and MAYBE you are - but I got something you ain't never gonna have. Heart."
-Ben Grimm, AKA The Ever-Lovin' Blue Eyed Thing

Thanks to Joshawott for my avatar (Lt. Mike McCormack, USS Sovereign)

chasnicollette
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by chasnicollette » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:53 pm

I had an idea once in a fanfic in which Donna suffered a relapse of the "brain-burn" effect of the metacrisis... The Tenth Doctor had devised a way to combine The Lazarus Experiment and Chameleon Arch technology to restore her to health and let her keep the Time Lady side of herself.

Kind of wish I'd finished that story, in retrospect...

Donna as a Time Lady would be wond'rous. But if we were pairing her with an extant Doctor, I really couldn't see it being anyone but Ten, their chemistry was incredible.

Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Post by Michael » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:58 pm

chasnicollette wrote:Donna as a Time Lady would be wond'rous. But if we were pairing her with an extant Doctor, I really couldn't see it being anyone but Ten, their chemistry was incredible.
But it might be fun to see her interact with Eleven, and see him have to explain it all to Amy. :)
-Michael Gray
"In Great Deeds Something Abides"

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by captainuniverse » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:59 pm

A funny thing I thought of is... if the Master was still around, could he be a she? :-k ::fd::
"All of Time and Space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?"

"Geronimo!"

Thanks to FltCpt. Bossco for my Tattok avatar. This is Tattok when he assumed the position of Commander-in-Chief, Starfleet in the year 2411.

chasnicollette
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by chasnicollette » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:05 pm

Michael wrote:
chasnicollette wrote:Donna as a Time Lady would be wond'rous. But if we were pairing her with an extant Doctor, I really couldn't see it being anyone but Ten, their chemistry was incredible.
But it might be fun to see her interact with Eleven, and see him have to explain it all to Amy. :)
More worrisome would be explaining to the oh-so-womanly Donna Noble that her "replacement" was a far more slender and youthsome ginger than she herself!

"You. WHAT?"

Eleven glances at Amy: "Basically, run."

chasnicollette
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by chasnicollette » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:05 pm

captainuniverse wrote:A funny thing I thought of is... if the Master was still around, could he be a she? :-k ::fd::
*That's* who Jamie Murray should play!

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:08 pm

Jamie Murray is Andy Murray's brother.

Are you perhaps referring to Jaime Murray?
"Mechagodzilla and Titanosaurus are controlled by spacemen. They're moving fast and they're near the heart of the city."

If you're feeding your cat a vegan diet your head is so far up your ass that you can lick your own tonsils from the back way.

chasnicollette
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by chasnicollette » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:11 pm

JM1776 wrote:Jamie Murray is Andy Murray's brother.

Are you perhaps referring to Jaime Murray?
Homophones will be the death of me yet.

Yes. Jaime.

J'aime Jaime.