"2001: A Space Odyssey"

Non Star Trek: Star Wars, Firefly, BSG, Babylon 5, Stargate, etc.

Moderator: Dancyer McCoy

Forum rules
For those who haven't noticed the Forum Rules have been revised. It might be a good idea to take a look at them if you haven't read them for awhile. You'll find them in the Forum Rules forum at the top of the index page.
Triton
Commodore
Commodore

"2001: A Space Odyssey"

Post by Triton » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:53 pm

Is 2001: A Space Odyssey still one of the great movies in 2015?

"Fortune favors the audacious" -- Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus (October 28, 1466 – July 12, 1536)

BULLITT
Crewman 2nd Class
Crewman 2nd Class

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey"

Post by BULLITT » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:58 pm

The influence this movie has had, and continues to have on society, is without question.

Just look at everything related to A.I.

RIP
Klingon Moderator
Klingon Moderator

Post by RIP » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:30 am

I have to admit, I never really liked it all that much. There were some mesmerizing scenes, what with the monkeys and the depiction of space travel. But I felt it was a drawn-out affair that kept making me sleepy. The philosophic questions raised seemed bland and dreary to me rather than thought-provoking and revolutionary. Pretty much right after the threat of HAL2000 is dealt with the story just kind of dwindles and goes off somewhere less than exciting.

When in college I did a lengthy study about this movie analyzing stuff like imagery, music and the technical aspects of the movie. My verdit then - and today - is: brilliant filmmaking and awful storytelling. Got an A+ so I must've been convincing.

I agree that this movie was groundbreaking in terms of all things filmmaking. The imagery is fantastic and the score very well placed. I am sure we will continue to find homages to it in movies for many years to come.
Life is very similar to boxing. Defeat is not declared when you fall down. It's declared when you can no longer get up.

Some people just want to watch the world burn... not because of the pretty colors but because after the fire, there comes rejuvination.

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:16 pm

RIP wrote:My verdi[c]t then—and today—is: brilliant film-making and awful storytelling. Got an A+ so I must've been convincing.
I've been saying this for decades, though not as aptly as you did above.

It's an amazing film that I don't ever need to see again.
"Mechagodzilla and Titanosaurus are controlled by spacemen. They're moving fast and they're near the heart of the city."

If you're feeding your cat a vegan diet your head is so far up your ass that you can lick your own tonsils from the back way.

RIP
Klingon Moderator
Klingon Moderator

Post by RIP » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:41 pm

Glad I'm not alone \:/
Life is very similar to boxing. Defeat is not declared when you fall down. It's declared when you can no longer get up.

Some people just want to watch the world burn... not because of the pretty colors but because after the fire, there comes rejuvination.