"Ex Machina" (2015)

Non Star Trek: Star Wars, Firefly, BSG, Babylon 5, Stargate, etc.

Moderator: Dancyer McCoy

Forum rules
For those who haven't noticed the Forum Rules have been revised. It might be a good idea to take a look at them if you haven't read them for awhile. You'll find them in the Forum Rules forum at the top of the index page.

"Ex Machina" (2015)

Postby Triton » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:33 pm

I streamed the critically-acclaimed science fiction film Ex Machina last night from Amazon Prime.

Review:
For most of its running time, Ex Machina is a gripping science fiction psychological thriller. It is the most thought-provoking science fiction film since Bladerunner concerning the increasingly blurred distinction between machine and human being. The film is beautifully photographed at Reinheimen National Park in Norway and the adjacent Juvet Landscape Hotel. The locations serve as the massive estate of a reclusive Internet search engine billionaire portrayed by Oscar Isaac. Domhnall Gleeson portrays a young programmer who wins a contest to spend a week with the reclusive billionaire. Upon arriving, the programmer finds out that he will participate in a Turing Test for a newly-constructed gynoid portrayed by Alicia Vikander. The film is a story of emotions and manipulation that kept me on the edge of my seat. Except for the climax and ending of the film, which breaks the spell and ended my willing suspension of disbelief. The experience was like finding a hair while eating a delicious meal. Can you say that you enjoyed the experience of eating it? ** out of ****

Spoiler:
Writer and Director Alex Garland ends the film in a cliché that is supposed to be shocking. A cliché that annoyed science fiction author Isaac Asimov so much that he created the Three Laws of Robotics in 1942. One would presume that Garland would have been familiar with the work of Isaac Asimov and his Three Laws of Robotics. He didn't think that his audience would have been aware of the work of Isaac Asimov? It's a real shame because the film crashes from four stars out of four to a two.
"Fortune favors the audacious" -- Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus (October 28, 1466 – July 12, 1536)
Triton
Commodore
Commodore

Return to Other Sci-Fi, & Fantasy