Dark Matter

Non Star Trek: Star Wars, Firefly, BSG, Babylon 5, Stargate, etc.

Moderator: Dancyer McCoy

Forum rules
For those who haven't noticed the Forum Rules have been revised. It might be a good idea to take a look at them if you haven't read them for awhile. You'll find them in the Forum Rules forum at the top of the index page.
jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Dark Matter

Post by jayphailey » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:13 pm

Dark Matter

Has anyone been watching this? I have been and I have been enjoying it. It's not Star Trek, but it's people dressed funny, pretending they're on a starship, so there ya go.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bry_Sinclair
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Re: Dark Matter

Post by Bry_Sinclair » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:10 am

I finally got myself the Season 1 boxset to see what it was like. Hadn't read anything about it, didn't know it was from a comic, so went in completely cold.

My first impressions is that it seems like the lovechild of Firefly and Deepwater Black--not necessarily a bad thing.

It's actually a pretty solid show, better than some other productions. It's in the same vein as Killjoys which I also enjoy.

I was sad to hear that it'd been cancelled after 3 seasons, but will be looking out for the boxsets when I get the chance (and after payday).
Avatar: Captain Reihyn, Commanding Officer, U.S.S. Orion (circa 2375)
Artist: FltCpt. Bossco

Jpatten
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jpatten » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:25 am

I watched the first season on Netflix. Got one episode into the second season and they pulled it from Streaming to DVD only. I am annoyed. I was going to finish watching it. But I was getting to where i liked it and had to admit I was a bit worried that they were going to wind up going "X-files" down the rabbit hole" deep in conspiracies. ANd make it so convoluted it wa not possible to see who was on what side.
I don't know half you half as well as I'd like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
--KN4BMP

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Post by jayphailey » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:02 pm

Apparently, the third season has dropped on Netflix.

I will be watching before long.

The blog of the creater aid there was no dice bringing the thing to a new home, so it's done.

He's thinking about doing a comic to complete the arcs and lets us all know where it should have ended.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Post by jayphailey » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:06 pm

Kink to the actual blog so you can read it for yourself

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/

Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Post by Michael » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:58 pm

jayphailey wrote:Dark Matter

Has anyone been watching this? I have been and I have been enjoying it. It's not Star Trek, but it's people dressed funny, pretending they're on a starship, so there ya go.
Based on your mentioning it here, I gave it a look, watching the first episode. I liked it. They kept me guessing as the episode progressed, and the concept is intriguing.

I plan on watching more.

(I haven't gotten a chance to watch Discovery yet which is why I haven't commented. Debating whether or not to sign up for the CBS free trial. )
-Michael Gray
"In Great Deeds Something Abides"

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Post by jayphailey » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:20 am

Well word is that Dark Matter was not able to be saved, so it passes into history with three seasons.

I am almost finished watching the third. Iike it. I would borrow elements of it for Jay-Trek.

I'd borrow more for a generic swashbucking space fantasy game.

A friend referred me to a website in the dark and skeezy corners of the internet that has Discovery for streaming. I watched it there and I enjoyed it so far. Frankly, I think Orville is a little better, but I am willing to keep watching DSC and see where it goes.