The Orville

Non Star Trek: Star Wars, Firefly, BSG, Babylon 5, Stargate, etc.

Moderator: Dancyer McCoy

Forum rules
For those who haven't noticed the Forum Rules have been revised. It might be a good idea to take a look at them if you haven't read them for awhile. You'll find them in the Forum Rules forum at the top of the index page.
jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

The Orville

Post by jayphailey » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:57 am

Who watched The Orville and what did you think?

I liked it myself.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Re: The Orville

Post by JM1776 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:34 am

Other than the potty humor, I think it's entertaning.

It's absolutely more Star Trek than Discovery is.
You don't put bumper stickers on Ferraris. You don't put graffiti on a church. By the same ironclad reasoning, you don't put a tattoo on a beautiful woman.

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by captainuniverse » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:14 pm

I agree with both of you. I enjoyed it. Despite the attempts at humor, I thought it was better Star Trek than what CBS is trying to peddle to the masses.
"All of Time and Space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?"

"Geronimo!"

Thanks to FltCpt. Bossco for my Tattok avatar. This is Tattok when he assumed the position of Commander-in-Chief, Starfleet in the year 2411.

Gazomg
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Post by Gazomg » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:43 pm

like Discovery which I have not watched yet, I set the bar low for this and was pleasantly surprised, ( see the thread you started here Jay: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8450

I enjoyed the show as it was funnier than most yank so called comedies and was a decent nod to the more serious trek fans.

Definitely looking forward to season 2.
MANIPULATIONS ON MY SITE - 1916 - AUGUST 11th

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:48 pm

Gazomg wrote:I enjoyed the show as it was funnier than most yank so called comedies ...
Yes, because Irish comedies have taken the world by storm. :roll:
You don't put bumper stickers on Ferraris. You don't put graffiti on a church. By the same ironclad reasoning, you don't put a tattoo on a beautiful woman.

Gazomg
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Post by Gazomg » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:19 pm

JM1776 wrote:
Gazomg wrote:I enjoyed the show as it was funnier than most yank so called comedies ...
Yes, because Irish comedies have taken the world by storm. :roll:
For starters, Irish comedies dont need canned humour.
And more importantly or at least for me, being Irish I can relate to Irish humour better than yank humour obviously as yank humour for the majority sucks.
That said the current Irish comedies are shit much like most comedies on tv.

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:38 pm

For starters, Irish comedies dont need canned humour.
Since (virtually) no one outside of Ireland watches them, I'll take your word for it.

Of course, the fact you know many American comedies use canned laughter (which actually has to do with the style in which they're filmed) means you've seen 'em. Funny that ... no pun intended.
And more importantly or at least for me, being Irish I can relate to Irish humour better than yank humour obviously as yank humour for the majority sucks.
Not for the majority of Yanks ... and it's Yanks who're in the majority here.

Oh, and if you're going to capitalize Irish, capitalize Yank, too, or some will assume that you're insulting Yanks.
That said the current Irish comedies are shit much like most comedies on tv.
On that we're agreed.

I apologize to the OP for hijacking the thread, and will cease and desist, assuming my counterpart does the same.

Gazomg
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Post by Gazomg » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:45 pm

Yes I have seen Yank comedies and for the most part give them a go but the first sign of canned laughter and its turned off.
Another thing that irritates me about Yank comedies is how the woman is always portrayed as sensible and the husband the lovable fool,

be it the simpsons, malcolm in the middle ( which i did like) and countless shows, guess its the PC thing now to have every female strong, god forbid the feminazis get upset that a woman might be seen as silly.

As for the orville, it can be a little stupid for kiddie type humour but on the whole it was a lot better than I expected, and not really your typical sitcom thing, or maybe it is and I am a little biased due to the science fiction element.

These days I dont watch tv in the traditional drip feed way of per week. I mostly pick a show and if I like it, then binge watch it, which is what I intend to do when I start discovery hopefully during the coming week.

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:07 am

Here's a bit of advice: Don't reject American comedies out of hand simply because of canned laughter, or you're denying yourself some amazingly funny stuff on an in my opinion misguided principle.

I agree with just about everything you wrote in the above post ... and in particular the manner in which wives are portrayed vis-à-vis husbands. God forbid the husband be better at something, or ... gasp! ... more intelligent.

Wow. We agree on a great deal.

This is progress! :wink:

Gazomg
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Post by Gazomg » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:17 am

JM1776 wrote:Here's a bit of advice: Don't reject American comedies out of hand simply because of canned laughter, or you're denying yourself some amazingly funny stuff on an in my opinion misguided principle.

I agree with just about everything you wrote in the above post ... and in particular the manner in which wives are portrayed vis-à-vis husbands. God forbid the husband be better at something, or ... gasp! ... more intelligent.

Wow. We agree on a great deal.

This is progress! :wink:
There is a lot of Yank humour I do like outside of sitcoms, George Carlin being my favourite stand up.
The canned laughter spoils a show and it nags away at me,

As I said I rarely ever watch tv, except when its to binge watch something that was recommended, a lot of european dramas mostly, like Spiral (engranages) danish shows like borgen and forbrydelsen.
Even shows I use to watch like Law and Order SVU has taken a nose dive since Hargitay is now producing where women are always the smart ones and men to made look ridiculous.

Any good comedies you recomend ? Mi9ght try something more light hearted than my overdose of dramas

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:14 pm

The only comedy I currently recommend is You're the Worst. It concerns a narcissistic writer and deeply disturbed/sexually promiscuous publicist who hook up and then gradually discover to their mutual horror that they genuinely care for each other—each in their own twisted way, of course.

Good news: No laugh track.

It's the kind of series you'll either love or despise. I do both, and won't take it personally if you say, "Dude ... it sucks."

You may want to give it a go, though.

Start from the beginning, if possible. Too much has happened to jump right in.

(Oh ... while they're both extremely intelligent, the man, wonder of wonders, is actually more so, herein.)

Gazomg
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Post by Gazomg » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:12 pm

JM1776 wrote:
(Oh ... while they're both extremely intelligent, the man, wonder of wonders, is actually more so, herein.)
Expect some clipboard carrying pc do gooder tosspot straight out of some 2 bit college with a degree in television to shelve it soon. :D

Well check it out

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:27 pm

Actually, it's headed for season four.

That's scheduled, however, to be its last.

Again, sorry for hijacking the thread, OP. Any time Gazomg and I are chatting companionably, though, I look around for the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. :JD

:[]]

Dancyer McCoy
--------Da Sib-------- Moderator
--------Da Sib-------- Moderator

Post by Dancyer McCoy » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:58 pm

Moderator Post:

Please return to Orville and take the comedy to General Discussion.

Thank you
Dancyer
________

I live in my own little world, but it's OK ... they know me here.

“Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.” Albert Einstein

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” - Dr. Seuss

Festina Lente

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:11 pm

You're welcome. :tomato:

I find myself unable to think of The Orville as anything but Star Trek. Its similarities are too blatant.

I find it enjoyable, but I'm giving it zero marks for creativity.

Anyone agree?