Your undiluted, honest opinions, please

Non Star Trek: Star Wars, Firefly, BSG, Babylon 5, Stargate, etc.

Moderator: Dancyer McCoy

Forum rules
For those who haven't noticed the Forum Rules have been revised. It might be a good idea to take a look at them if you haven't read them for awhile. You'll find them in the Forum Rules forum at the top of the index page.
JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Your undiluted, honest opinions, please

Post by JM1776 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:29 pm

In the Netflix production, Troy: Fall of a City, Achilles is portrayed by a person of color, British actor David Gyasi. I have no experience of the man, and for the sake of this discussion I'm assuming he's a more-than-competent actor.

This piece of casting irritates me a bit. I find it inappropriate, as I do the casting of Aeneas and Patroclus with other persons of color.

It seems to me that certain physical attributes should disqualify one from playing particular characters, unless the production is looking specifically to make a socio-political statement with the move, e.g. a person of color (or even a woman, to which I would object on theological as opposed to chauvinistic grounds) as Jesus Christ. Linda Hunt, for all her skills could never have successfully portrayed a legendary beauty such as Eleanor of Aquitaine or even Helen of Troy/Sparta herself. She's just not attractive enough to carry the role.

A note of importance: I had no significant issue with Idris Elba as Heimdall or Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie, because Asgardians are not Vikings. In this very miniseries Zeus himself is being portrayed by a person of color, and I have no problem with that, either, because he's the king of the gods and can appear however he wishes. If the dude can father Helen as a swan, well ... I'm sure he can assume whatever hue he desires.

So ... is my annoyance racist? I don't believe it is in the slightest, but am interested in other perspectives.

(Michael, if you feel this issue is too politically charged, please delete the thread at your convenience. I'll not protest.)
"The angel of the Lord appeared to them ... and they were struck with great fear. 'Do not be afraid; for behold, I proclaim to you good news of great joy ... today in the city of David a savior has been born. And this will be a sign ... you will find an infant wrapped in swaddling clothes and lying in a manger.'”

Gazomg
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Your undiluted, honest opinions, please

Post by Gazomg » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:55 pm

I am sure the PC brigade will be quick to label anyone that even dares question color etc as a racist regardless of it being true of not.

Sadly history is being rewritten for lots of shows so the can squeeze women, and non white people into roles.
I recently watched the remake of the magnificent 7 , and while i like denzil as an actor the casting was utter shit.

That English guy Benedict Cabbagepatch playing Khan another one that annoyed me, but not anymore since I now realize I am old school in a world where political correctness is so rampant with people falling over themselves to hire people of a minority in an effort to show they are politically correct, logic has long since fucked off.
MANIPULATIONS ON MY SITE - 2081 - NOVEMBER 30th

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Re: Your undiluted, honest opinions, please

Post by JM1776 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:04 pm

Let me also add that the actors portraying Achilles and Patroclus played their roles excellently, so that is not the issue.

I suppose I've softened on it a bit. I find myself thinking of him as Achilles while watching.
"The angel of the Lord appeared to them ... and they were struck with great fear. 'Do not be afraid; for behold, I proclaim to you good news of great joy ... today in the city of David a savior has been born. And this will be a sign ... you will find an infant wrapped in swaddling clothes and lying in a manger.'”