So let's talk potential new Trek RPG

A place for discussion of all forms of Roleplaying.

Moderators: jayphailey, AslanC

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Post by jayphailey » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:38 am

JM1776 wrote:Hmm ... the pluralization doesn't work, but it or a variant has potential.

It doesn't? Why not? I don't imagine that Starfleet people would be satisfied with a single farther shore.

Jay ~Meow!~

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:23 am

"Farther shore" simply sounds better to my ear than "farther shores" ... and I trust my ear.

Do as y'all like. It's hardly something over which a dispute is necessary.
"Jimmy Connors is a POS."
"Yeah, but that's part of his charm."

– Internet pundits hitting the nail on the head ... or, if you prefer, a lefty two-handed backhand down the line

collierctr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by collierctr » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:18 pm

I see the difference - I think.

Perhaps shore implies a location and/or a singular purpose, while shores implies multiple locations and/or purposes.

If you're employing a Distant Realm concept but renaming it, then Shore retains the singular flavor Realm has. If on the other hand you're adapting a Distant Realm concept to be a Distant Realms concept, then Shores matches Realms.

I think.
"THERE IS NO SANCTUARY!"

Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Post by Michael » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:21 pm

TimPendragon wrote:So... is there someone who'd be interested in GMing a game?

If there is someone interested in GMing a game here on STPMA, and it looks as if there is sufficient interest, please contact me by PM so we can discuss the mechanics. Thanks.
-Michael Gray
"In Great Deeds Something Abides"

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Re: So let's talk potential new Trek RPG

Post by JM1776 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:29 pm

OK, then! Nearly seven years after the fact, this thread is once again relevant.

If you're interested in an online RPG, reread in its entirety and feel free to resurrect the discussion.

– Internet pundits hitting the nail on the head ... or, if you prefer, a lefty two-handed backhand down the line

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Post by jayphailey » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:14 pm

Hello! (Waves)
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

amehatrekkie
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

Post by amehatrekkie » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:07 pm

jayphailey wrote:Hello! (Waves)
:yhoo:

looks who's back :)

hi!
Ahmie K-[ay][aka Adam Kriegel], Captain of the Department of Weird yea i'm weird
STPMA WORLDBUILDING EXPERT[ RIP MJ!!] Normal people scare meAging is inevitable, maturity is optional
https://imgur.com/a/bUvNm

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Re: The Hijacking of Pandora Station

Post by jayphailey » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:53 pm

jayphailey wrote:The Hijacking of Pandora Station -

Basically it was this - Richard Merk made up a place (Pandora Station) - some NPCs (The Captain and some others) and a Plot - (You don't tell the players the plot in advance you want it to be a surprise and you want their in-character reactions to be extemporaneous and sponatenous.)

So Richard called for players. Several players showed up, made up characters. Put them on Pandroa station.

Then Richard had the plot make it's first appearance...

and was brutally ignored. The players free formed about their characters, and about the backstory plots the character brought with them, and ignored a mystery they were supposed to resolve.

I suspect that they didn't realize that this encouraging mystery was supposed to be their characters problem. I seems like we're looking at a clash of styles and unstated expectations. It's not that the Free formers actively said (moustache twirl) "Nyah ha haaa. Let's talke Richards Game away!"

Just when Richards NPCs showed up and said "Boy! That's really odd and sort of foreshadowy!" They just shrugged and kept doing whatever they were doing.

On the other hand....

I made up The Quantum Lounge. A Restaraunt and Bar on some Starbase somewhere for Free formers to bring characters from any (trek, or trek like) game they wanterd and... Well... free form.

And that died! WTF!?

Jay ~Meow!~

Wow. I have no memory of that now. None. It's like reading a post by someone else.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Post by Michael » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:03 pm

jayphailey wrote:Wow. I have no memory of that now. None. It's like reading a post by someone else.
Maybe the Jay P. Hailey from a parallel universe? :-k
-Michael Gray
"In Great Deeds Something Abides"

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Post by jayphailey » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:07 pm

Michael wrote:
jayphailey wrote:Wow. I have no memory of that now. None. It's like reading a post by someone else.
Maybe the Jay P. Hailey from a parallel universe? :-k

Darnit. I hate when that guy shows up!

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Post by jayphailey » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:09 pm

Seriously. Right now I am a player in a long term one-on-one game and a GM in two different play by forum games.

But, I am always interested in playing Star Trek.

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:02 pm

Evidently there were a series of miscommunications between Joshawott, Michael and me. The former will be running his Star Trek: Sovereign campaign. There seems to be a goodly number interested, and I have no desire to run a game here while another is transpiring. Too much like competition for my blood. Thus, I'm going to once again bow out.

I hope everyone enjoys their gaming.