So let's talk potential new Trek RPG

A place for discussion of all forms of Roleplaying.

Moderators: jayphailey, AslanC

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

So let's talk potential new Trek RPG

Post by JM1776 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:35 pm

Are people interested in a GM/players setup, a freeform sim, or some combination of the two?

If the former, I would consider GMing, schedule permitting, if all found me acceptable.

Chatter away.
"The angel of the Lord appeared to them ... and they were struck with great fear. 'Do not be afraid; for behold, I proclaim to you good news of great joy ... today in the city of David a savior has been born. And this will be a sign ... you will find an infant wrapped in swaddling clothes and lying in a manger.'”

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Post by jayphailey » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:56 pm

This is just my humble opinion.

Maybe it's my damage.

If I were going to run a forum based game, and current I have no intention of this - but if I were I'd say

"Jay's Game over this way. If you're interested come talk about what you'd like to play!"

and let them's who'd like to come along or not as they choose.

Oh, errr. I'd Okay it with Mike and Admins first. Talk about what the requirements would be. (For me to set up a Jay's Game section or something.)

Anyway.

So, Joe. What would you be happy GMing? If it sucks for you, you'd drop it.

Jay ~Meow!~

HSmith
Captain
Captain
Location: Third Star to the right and straight on till morning

Post by HSmith » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:54 pm

I'd be interested depending on the era, but again the questions still remain:

What era?

I would prefer anything from Enterprise through the Dominion War.

Who gets to be Captain?

What type of ship?

All that other fun stuff...
The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:57 am

jayphailey wrote:If I were going to run a forum based game ... I'd okay it with Mike and admins first. Talk about what the requirements would be.
That's a reasonable concern.

I had, however, already spoken with Michael via PM, and he instructed me to have this kind of conversation first before we worry about the setup—especially since I'm not yet in the center seat, as it were. He'd like to confirm interest in such an endeavor before worrying about the nuts and bolts, which I think he feels will be a simple matter.
"The angel of the Lord appeared to them ... and they were struck with great fear. 'Do not be afraid; for behold, I proclaim to you good news of great joy ... today in the city of David a savior has been born. And this will be a sign ... you will find an infant wrapped in swaddling clothes and lying in a manger.'”

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:22 am

Assuming the job is offered, and I accept—neither of which is a done deal—I'd probably go in these directions:
  • Any era from post-"These Are the Voyages" to a generation after "What You Leave Behind"; I myself would probably prefer something from 2368 or so onward, and have absolutely no interest in pre-Warp Five.
  • As to type of vessel ... I'm not sure that's applicable until we decide whether this will be a ship-, colony-, station- or some sort of spec ops-based game. For example, I ran a Star Trek: Top Gun [pre-Banshees, Rich :wink: ] campaign for some time about a decade ago, and it was a lot of fun.
  • The captain's/leader's slot, if applicable, will either be filled by yours truly (if there's a lot of jockeying and bad feeling) ... or a player upon whom the others can agree. Considering the nature of such a game, and the tendency of players to come and go, perhaps a permanent leader is something to be avoided.
  • I've no problem with any system from freeform roleplay with GM's decision being final to LUG/Decipher/d20. I'd even consider adopting the old Marvel Super Heroes "engine," which is very easy to run. It may be sufficient to have certain game mechanics held in reserve for PC conflicts, if such arise, and rely on roleplay for most everything else. Such a system would require the players to have tremendous faith in the GM, though, and not everyone is comfortable with that. It's open to discussion. [I'd always thought a deck of playing cards would provide quite a bit of variety, and think a simple, effective system employing them could be jury-rigged.]
Opinions? Questions?
Last edited by JM1776 on Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

Craz
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Craz » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:22 am

I could very well be interested in a Trek RPG. :) I've been in the RPG world for nearly three years now, and I'd love to see what Joe(or another GM) could throw out.
"Well, they told us to make a musical about the Silicon Valley. It was either the Winchester Mystery House, or computers, in the end. Somehow, I didn't see Bill Gates doing jazz tap and singing." -On [i]The Haunting of Winchester[/i]

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:45 am

Starship classes I'd consider, by era, assuming a ship-based game or other in which a starship figures prominently and permanently. I'd prefer ships we've seen on screen, or those I'd consider reasonable extrapolations from canon. Vessels from previous eras are considered fair game, so long as one may reasonably assume they'd still be in service.

The list:
  • Post-"These Are the Voyages": NX*
  • The Original Series: Saladin*, Constitution
  • The Movie Era: Centaur*, Constitution-refit, Miranda, Saladin-refit*
  • The Lost Years: Ambassador*, New Orleans
  • The Next Generation: None
  • Deep Space Nine and beyond: Akira, Defiant, Nova (Pathfinder variant), Sovereign, Steamrunner*

* – Denotes my personal preferences
To me, this is simply about aesthetics. So long as the PCs can "do the locomotion," the actual locomotive is really about what-all we like.

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:50 am

I'm open to suggestions on campaign setting.

Fire away.

CaptainKirkFan
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by CaptainKirkFan » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:22 am

I prefer free form role-playing. As for the era, I think it would be alot of fun to do something aboard an Enterprise a hundred years after the Dominion War. Whaddaya think?
[img]http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii138/ScifiFan_1988/RPGAni.gif[/img]
[url]http://ruanjitales.com/[/url]
[url]http://vince.ardfamilyco-op.net/idesofmarchindex.html[/url]

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Post by jayphailey » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:40 am

If you're going to do it free form, what do you need Joe for?

Jay ~Meow!~

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Post by jayphailey » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:56 am

Okay. I was going to suggest a Space station based game - to allow multiu threaded plots and in character role play.

I was worried about suggesting this because I have reinvented this idea a few times, both as a game idea and as a post-VOY television concept, (Although my post voyager TV series idea was focused more on a specific crew of JAG officers, trouble shooters and random characters who are assigned to investigate m,ysteries, misdeeds and Section 31. - the Station they were assigned to was more of a back ground piece.)

So I don't want to throw too much information at Joe, for fear of triggering Joe's "oogie" reflex. I don't know where, or if Joe even has this Oogie reflex in regards to role playing.

So I'll be gentle and make a general suggestion right?

So like my Optimist station write up or Richard Merk's Pandora Station-

Richard Merk's...

Oh, crap. See I joined Richards PBEM, Pandora Station... I made up a character - Edai Earou or something. I posted his write up here...

And then I fell over. I had one of those places where my sleep apnea mixed with a change of schedule robbed me of all energy at all, ever.

So here I am talking about a Forum game, after I have blankly wandered away from his game.

To be fair, So did Richard - It was sort of hijacked by free form role players.

I that this could be a mixed blessing, depending on how it works out.

Sigh.

Anyway I need to see what's going on there.

Jay ~Meow!~

collierctr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by collierctr » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:24 am

jayphailey wrote:...

Richard Merk's...

So here I am talking about a Forum game, after I have blankly wandered away from his game.

To be fair, So did Richard - It was sort of hijacked by free form role players.

Jay ~Meow!~

This is probably going to sound like a stupid question, but it's a real question.

What does that mean? A game was 'sort of hijacked by free form role players'?

What is meant here by free form role play and by GM/players role play? And how does that apply to a forum based game?

I've never played a forum based game other than the trivia, word association, etc. games is partly why I ask. Also partly that 'free-form' sounded less demanding and more appealing than a form where all these questions have to be answered in advance and we have to elect a GM and abide by his whimsy- but Jay alluding to free form players 'hijacking' a game definitely sounds unappealing enough to think not participating here is the way to go. So I'd like more info on what that means before being so easily dissuaded.

What does free form role play mean here and what is different about a GM/player game?

If anyone wants/has time to explain those differences, I'd be grateful.
"THERE IS NO SANCTUARY!"

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:44 am

Let's define our terms, because I may have inadvertently employed a word in a fashion contrary to orthodox roleplay vernacular.

"Freeform," to me, means no game mechanics/engine, so very little or absolutely no dice-rolling/card-flipping/random number generation is necessary. People write what their character is doing/feeling, and when conflicts/opposed actions arise, the GM adjudicates it. This is more of an extended anthology, with the person labeled "GM" serving as editor-in-chief, and perhaps nudging the primary plot (assuming there is one) along, with as light a hand as he can manage. The players are reacting to the scenario provided, but with a tremendous liberty as to how they do so.

To me, it's simply a matter of degree. All roleplaying balances a guided framework with autonomy, else you may as well just write your own story.

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:56 am

... we have to elect a GM and abide by his whimsy ...
I'm not attacking collierctr here, but his comment illustrates an important point.

It's precisely this kind of potential resentment I'm trying to avoid. I don't want people who are going to chafe and protest vehemently if thwarted in any way, such as, "Your character can't do that," or, "You make the attempt and fail," or even, "You throw a punch at player two, but he dodges it and in response clouts you on the jaw. Sweet dreams." Any time you have strong-willed, creative and intelligent people endeavoring to collaborate on a vision, conflict will inevitably arise.

Some people post in broad strokes, while others will mention what their character had for breakfast. Either method of participation is valid, in my opinion. It would be the GM's job to collate the various participants' contributions into a coherent whole.

[A brief note: I'm a very different person when GMing than I am as a private citizen. You may recall my status as a moderator mellowed me quite a bit for the time in which I performed the function. If I assume the responsibility, I take it quite seriously. Jay himself can tell you that I don't seem to have the same attitude. I ran very briefly for him some years ago before circumstance interfered and said campaign withered on the vine. He and I often fight like Godzilla and Rodan ... but not when it's my job to make people happy and entertain them.]

collierctr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by collierctr » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:59 am

JM1776 wrote:Let's define our terms, because I may have inadvertently employed a word in a fashion contrary to orthodox roleplay vernacular.

"Freeform," to me, means no game mechanics/engine, so very little or absolutely no dice-rolling/card-flipping/random number generation is necessary. People write what their character is doing/feeling, and when conflicts/opposed actions arise, the GM adjudicates it. This is more of an extended anthology, with the person labeled "GM" serving as editor-in-chief, and perhaps nudging the primary plot (assuming there is one) along, with as light a hand as he can manage. The players are reacting to the scenario provided, but with a tremendous liberty as to how they do so.

To me, it's simply a matter of degree. All roleplaying balances a guided framework with autonomy, else you may as well just write your own story.

By that definition, freeform sounds good. Dice rolling and card flipping and RNG probably is too but not really in my arena of interest right now.

But maybe Jay can explain what he meant by free form players hijacking a game because that sounds unappealing.
"THERE IS NO SANCTUARY!"