So let's talk potential new Trek RPG

A place for discussion of all forms of Roleplaying.

Moderators: jayphailey, AslanC

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:17 am

You'll have to be more specific than "Trek feel." Are you referring to theme, ambience, story arcs, characterization or simply the holistic impression? If the latter, rest assured it will "feel" like "Trek" if we go that way. You'll just have to take my word for it.

In addition, it's only a suggestion, not something I'm bound and determined to see in play.

As to another of your suggestions ...

... I think the problem with a trouble-shooter campaign is that such fits the description of most Starfleet personnel, who are broadly trained and in addition chosen for imagination, adaptability and doggedness. In that sense, either a group specially schooled to deal with a particular problem set or a covert ops team makes more sense, even if they're less fundamentally Trek.

I wonder if early-to-mid 2380's might not be best. It allows for continuity with latter-day Trek, but in addition gives the GM some leeway as to the evolving political situation.
"Mechagodzilla and Titanosaurus are controlled by spacemen. They're moving fast and they're near the heart of the city."

"And after all this time, you'd think that I, I wouldn't feel the same ... but time melts into nothing, and nothing's changed."

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Post by jayphailey » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:24 pm

JM1776 wrote:You'll have to be more specific than "Trek feel." Are you referring to theme, ambience, story arcs, characterization or simply the holistic impression? If the latter, rest assured it will "feel" like "Trek" if we go that way. You'll just have to take my word for it.
I wonder about the stories, themes and ambience. It would be a darker setting than conventional Trek, to be sure. The Cardassians are recovering from a a tyranny, a civil war, a worse tyranny, a worse war, and then a horrifying massacre.

About the closest analogy I can imagine in the real world is West Germany in about 1950 or so.

I can imagine interesting stories to be told in such a setting. But I am not seeing a lot of strange new worlds there.

Hmmmm.

I really don't have a Cardassian in my head who'd be interesting to play, right at first glance. I really don't identify with the background that well.

In addition, it's only a suggestion, not something I'm bound and determined to see in play.
it's something to talk about. better than watching the word association thread.
As to another of your suggestions ...

... I think the problem with a trouble-shooter campaign is that such fits the description of most Starfleet personnel, who are broadly trained and in addition chosen for imagination, adaptability and doggedness. In that sense, either a group specially schooled to deal with a particular problem set or a covert ops team makes more sense, even if they're less fundamentally Trek.
My intent was not that the group is special for their ability to solve problems.

They are special because as a group that's off the Base Commander/Ship Commanders usual T/O he can send them out on weird missions without sending away people he might want near him.

That's their value to the C/O in story.

In setting up the story, it allows for more diverse backgrounds and skill sets, as well as isolating the characters from the "400 npcs" problem, where the PCs save the ship each week while hundreds of well trained and competent proffesionals sit on their hands... :)

I don't want to describe such a group as "expendable" because Starfleet wouldn't see them that way, and a mentally intact C/O wouldn't. But if they're gone for 90 days in a runabout, or some sort of scout, resolving the mystery of the Marie Celeste or something, that's not as big a deal as if the Bases Chief Engineering Officer and Chief Science Officer are completely not available for 90 days.

Because they aren't as attached, they are more versatile for the commander.

And I am sure every time they straggled back in from something weird , or something funky, noises would be made about finding them their "Real Assignments" until another whack job issue reared it's head and the C/O asked himself "Who can I spare to sort this out?"
I wonder if early-to-mid 2380's might not be best. It allows for continuity with latter-day Trek, but in addition gives the GM some leeway as to the evolving political situation.
I am actually not all that concerned with this issue. Whenever.

Thanks for the skull sweat, Joe

Jay ~Meow!~

TimPendragon
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by TimPendragon » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:20 am

...chirp, chirp...

...tribble, tribble...

...Bueller...Bueller?
...the wisdom to discover the right, the will to choose it, and the strength to make it endure...

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Post by jayphailey » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:49 am

echo, echo, echo!

Jay ~meow!~

RichMerk
Chief Underpants Gnome
Chief Underpants Gnome

Post by RichMerk » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:57 am

"Pinch hitting hitting hitting... for Manny Mota Mota Mota..."

Name the movie. :)

TimPendragon
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by TimPendragon » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:59 am

RichMerk wrote:"Pinch hitting hitting hitting... for Manny Mota Mota Mota..."

Major League?
...the wisdom to discover the right, the will to choose it, and the strength to make it endure...

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Post by jayphailey » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:48 am

"Not BUCK Murdock?"

"No. Buck MUR-dock."

-*-

"Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing Airplane Glue."

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Post by jayphailey » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:50 am

"We have to get these people to a hospital."

"A hospital? What is it?"

"It's a big building with lots of sick people inside. But that's not important right now."

Jay ~Meow!~

Bry_Sinclair
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Post by Bry_Sinclair » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:28 pm

"and don't call me Shirley."

lafr
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Post by lafr » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:43 pm

"Roger."

collierctr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Fifty Three Men

Post by collierctr » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:35 pm

They were fifty-three men with one mission. Failure was not only an option, but everyone's expectation. No one expected these fifty-three men to succeed.

<tag - who's next?>
"THERE IS NO SANCTUARY!"

Hyperion
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post by Hyperion » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:22 pm

TimPendragon wrote:
RichMerk wrote:"Pinch hitting hitting hitting... for Manny Mota Mota Mota..."

Major League?
Airplane. :D

Hyperion

Post by Hyperion » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:24 pm

JM1776 wrote: I wonder if early-to-mid 2380's might not be best. It allows for continuity with latter-day Trek, but in addition gives the GM some leeway as to the evolving political situation.
I personally would prefer not going past the 2370s. The Trek world is big enough that canon shouldn't interfere with a good story, and should only help it.

TimPendragon
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by TimPendragon » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:23 pm

Sigh. That's what I get for trying to think.... and I quote Airplane all the time.

"Do you like gladiator movies?"

---

As for the timeline... My preference would be either post-Dominion War or just post-Nemesis. They're both periods of transition for the galaxy, with a lot of potential to spin off from.

Examining the new Romulan situation might be fun - and our version would certainly be more interesting than what Pocket Books has done with it.

I'm open to just about anything, though.

As for the setting... I'm open for anything, again, but I'd prefer Starfleet, or at least nominally Federation. How about a space station, or a colony world, with the possibility of a starship as the mission requires?

Hyperion

Post by Hyperion » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:15 pm

TimPendragon wrote: As for the timeline... My preference would be either post-Dominion War or just post-Nemesis. They're both periods of transition for the galaxy, with a lot of potential to spin off from.

Examining the new Romulan situation might be fun - and our version would certainly be more interesting than what Pocket Books has done with it.

I'm open to just about anything, though.

As for the setting... I'm open for anything, again, but I'd prefer Starfleet, or at least nominally Federation. How about a space station, or a colony world, with the possibility of a starship as the mission requires?
I concur with everything said here.