RPG annoyances/pet peeves

A place for discussion of all forms of Roleplaying.

Moderators: jayphailey, AslanC

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Re: RPG annoyances/pet peeves

Post by JM1776 » Wed May 19, 2010 6:57 pm

Transom wrote:In fairness, I have, in fact, played a Vulcan-Orion ... Her background is a part of her character, and has made for some interesting opportunities. I chose to do this not for the "because I can" factor, but for the "I have an idea. What makes sense to me to help flesh this out?" factor.
Just curious: Did the character have both telepathic and pheromonal "powers"?
"Mechagodzilla and Titanosaurus are controlled by spacemen. They're moving fast and they're near the heart of the city."

"And after all this time, you'd think that I, I wouldn't feel the same ... but time melts into nothing, and nothing's changed."

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Post by jayphailey » Wed May 19, 2010 7:36 pm

Transom wrote:Oh yeah! And then there was the character who was depressed because she was always being picked on in Starfleet Academy because of her species. She was 1/4 Vulcan. 1/4. That means one of her grandparents was a Vulcan. And the game took place after the Dominion War. You know, when the Federation was still so racist against Vulcans, the bastards.
Floppity-floppity-flop.

That's just me falling down in shock.

An Emo Vulcan. There's an excuse for phasers set on BBQ.

Jay ~Meow!~
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Transom
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Transom » Thu May 20, 2010 8:13 am

JM1776 wrote:Just curious: Did the character have both telepathic and pheromonal "powers"?
Nope, and not fully developed. She took shots to counteract the pheremones, and while she received some of her education from her Vulcan aunt & uncle, and therefore was taught about her heritage, she's never actually been to Vulcan to study.

Quick bio: T'Mae Ghingallows is the daughter of the Orion Merchant Prince Lord Kreed Ghingallows and one of his seven wives, T'Theris of Vulcan. She is his first-born. With a massive fortune at his disposal, he hired the finest private tutors he could find in order to allow T'Mae the opportunity to obtain an excellent and well-rounded education. T'Mae found early that she had an interest in medicine, and given her father's penchant for capturing, maiming and killing enemies she was provided many subjects to study.

Knowing that the life of an Orion businessman can be exceedingly short, he and his wife decided to shuttle their daughter off at age sixteen to live a less colorful life, but not before he was sure he'd taught her the ways of the Orion Merchant (otherwise known as the Syndicate) to supplement her normal academic learning. She was sent to her Vulcan aunt and uncle, T'Polis and Sasek, who lived on planet Earth and taught Vulcan history and cultural anthropology, respectively. Her education continued with private tutors until she reached the age where she could, as planned and at her father's insistance, join Starfleet. He's sees this as both a point of pride and also something of an insurance policy, for now he has a brilliant daughter who may also find herself well-connected within the Federation, and who knows when that might come in handy?

Additional Information: Ghingallows is the name of the square in the city of Ironhold on the planet Regulus III, where Kreed and his ancestors come from, and is where the Orions used to hang thieves, traitors, and anyone else they didn't like.

CamSPD
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by CamSPD » Thu May 20, 2010 8:07 pm

Transom wrote:3. Cross-breeding for the sake of cross-breeding. No, your Klingon-Betazoid-Orion doesn't make any sense to me. It looks like you wanted to have a super-strong, violent mind reader who looks like a weakened Hulk. Oh, also, has the emotions of a Human. Is there a point to this?

In fairness, I have, in fact, played a Vulcan-Orion. She was the daughter of a pirate. Her mother was a concubine, captured during a raid. Her background is a part of her character, and has made for some interesting opportunities. I chose to do this not for the "because I can" factor, but for the "I have an idea. What makes sense to me to help flesh this out?" factor.
Not that I think this is directed at me, but I wanted to explain something. I didn't give Lindze Regan four species' worth of history just because I could, nor just because I thought I could write it well (which I do, but that's neither here nor there). I did it because this crazy idea occurred to me, and I want to see what I can do with it. Maybe it will work out, maybe it won't. For that matter, I've already considered that four may be too many, and the character may get a rewrite. Won't hurt anything because I have not begun any extensive writing on the Columbia series as yet. I'm just saying that I don't think giving a character a multiple-species history is "a myriad of ills." What's wrong with it if you can explain it in a way that makes sense? Besides the whole "cross-breeding shouldn't even be possible" tack, that is...
"Ah! She is a writer!"
We are free because of the brave.

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Thu May 20, 2010 9:12 pm

CamSPD wrote:... I've already considered that four may be too many ...
Perhaps that's simply a conclusion that others drew before you did.
I'm just saying that I don't think giving a character a multiple-species history is "a myriad of ills."
I think my quote's been wrenched out of context. It did not specifically disparage, or even refer to, the above, and was meant generally.
"Mechagodzilla and Titanosaurus are controlled by spacemen. They're moving fast and they're near the heart of the city."

"And after all this time, you'd think that I, I wouldn't feel the same ... but time melts into nothing, and nothing's changed."

Quoshara
Klingon Admin
Klingon Admin

Post by Quoshara » Thu May 20, 2010 9:51 pm

I do have to say that in general, so many of us have problems with people using mixed alien races is due to the habit of the characters winding up with all the benefits and none of the drawbacks.

These can truly become the 'Mary Sues' of gaming.
*~Quo~*

Fic ahoy!

Well, damn....what should I write next? Hmmmmmmmm......

Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Post by Michael » Thu May 20, 2010 11:04 pm

Quo wrote:I do have to say that in general, so many of us have problems with people using mixed alien races is due to the habit of the characters winding up with all the benefits and none of the drawbacks.
Now if you gave them all of the drawbacks and none of the benefits... that could be interesting.
-Michael Gray
"In Great Deeds Something Abides"

collierctr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by collierctr » Thu May 20, 2010 11:09 pm

In the world of fiction (and for that matter, non-fiction) there are more unmemorable characters than there are unforgettable ones. And being unable to make a Vulcan interesting to others, being unable to make a Human interesting to others, being unable to make a Betazoid interesting, or being unable to make a Klingon interesting, is not such a big sin for writers who aren't charging readers a dime, just their timie.

The mistake is in thinking "I have nothing interesting to say about any species, but I do have something interesting to say about a Betavulgonman*

* Betavulgonman = a Betazoid/Vulcan/Klingon/Human character, of course. Apologies if anyone writes such a beast - I tried to jumble 4 races there that I haven't seen, to avoid offense.

And I'm a firm believer that life is too short to read about someone else's Mary Sue character. Mary Sue is the most interesting precious thing to her Creator; to me, not at all.
"THERE IS NO SANCTUARY!"

GMDreia
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by GMDreia » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:33 pm

I'm kind of not feeling the hybrid love. It's overdone these days. Sometimes between species that I don't imagine could feesibly mate, let alone breed.
Co-GM of the Eighth Fleet RPG

edge982
Crewman 3rd Class
Crewman 3rd Class

Post by edge982 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:29 pm

GMDreia wrote:I'm kind of not feeling the hybrid love. It's overdone these days. Sometimes between species that I don't imagine could feesibly mate, let alone breed.
What, you don't want to see a Tribble/Klingon hybrid running around? :P

A few hybrids here and there in an RPG is fine, but when everyone's a hybrid, doesn't it defeat the point?

amehatrekkie
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

Post by amehatrekkie » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:14 pm

tribble klingon hybrid?! tribble is a furball...literally
Ahmie K-[ay][aka Adam Kriegel], Captain of the Department of Weird yea i'm weird
STPMA WORLDBUILDING EXPERT[ RIP MJ!!] Normal people scare meAging is inevitable, maturity is optional
https://imgur.com/a/bUvNm

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Re:

Post by JM1776 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:47 am

GMDreia wrote:I'm glad that I haven't been turned away from games on account of gender cross-playing. I'm a woman. I mostly RP men. When I first started gaming, it was unlikely to even find other women who gamed, and if it weren't for the men who cross-played women (some of whom did so quite well) then we would only have ever had male characters! Much less interesting!
It seems to me your above comments hoist you on your own petard a bit. If so many male characters are "much less interesting," then shouldn't a woman not consider playing her own gender and thereby contribute to that selfsame variety the lack of which you just lamented?

If you were to play in one of my games, for example, I'd require that you portray a female for a period of time that would allow me to ensure your competence at the other aspects of role-playing, which might take anywhere from a few hours to a few months. If, at that point, you evinced a desire to play across gender, I'd discourage (for the reasons mentioned above) but ultimately allow it.
That said, here is a real pet peeve of mine that others often don't share. I do have a pet peeve with "shipping" between my character and another person's character. It squicks me a little.
I'm curious: Have you ever examined why it "squicks" you, or is the fact that it simply does sufficient to make certain you avoid the possibility?

Would it squick you were you genuinely attracted to the other player, or mightn't it feel natural?

Frankly, I think that many—I'd even go so far as to say more than half—of the women who portray males when gaming do so to avoid dealing with creepily lovesick male players ... since the latter are, as you might say, 'squicked' at the idea of pursuing a female player's male character. Problem, thus, adroitly if disingenuously avoided.
I nearly always have my characters have 1) some real reason they aren't available for a relationship, or 2) in a relationship with someone else who is not PCd by another player (such as, someone who is "offscreen"). Or heck - it could happen the way it's oddly turned out to happen - my PC ends up dating my other PC! Which is what's going on presently, lol.
Two of my most played (off and on over 22 years) and beloved characters, a high level paladin and bard, respectively, are husband and wife. My fellow players seem to absolutely love when the two argue (and they argue a lot), because I'll portray both, switching accents (he is an Arab and she Italian) and, seemingly, perspectives every few seconds. Rashid ibn al-Hakim and Derekka Rostagno are neither of them what I'd call non-confrontational. 8)

[One has to wonder just how much of such relationships may be legitimately attributed to narcissism.]

On the other hand, one of my fondest role-playing memories involves vicariously experiencing a character falling in love with and marrying that of another player. She was my girlfriend when the paper dalliance began, true ... but the romance between Emiriel and Vardis, now King and Queen of Bleshelle, long outlasted our year-and-a-half long relationship ... and, as a matter of fact, the imaginary marriage occurred some months after our real-life breakup.
It just weirds me out. I don't know if other people are as weirded out by shipping as I am, though.
I think the context is critical, here. If two mature and experienced role-players choose to have their characters explore a relationship, the resultant interaction can be some of the most compelling in the game. If, instead, it's a way for one player to act out unwelcome advances and hide behind the facade of "just playing my character," well, that's not exactly ars gratia artis.
Last edited by JM1776 on Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:29 pm

Quo wrote:I do have to say that in general, so many of us have problems with people using mixed alien races ... due to the habit of the characters winding up with all the benefits and none of the drawbacks.

These can truly become the 'Mary Sues' of gaming.
QFT

Cheile
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Cheile » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:37 pm

:sticks head into topic: hi ;)

read all four pages...wow. think everyone else covered the same pet peeves i have....except for one. (unless i missed it)

don't fracking interfere with a personal plot/relationship unless a) you get invited by one of the players or b) you ASK.

one of the games i was in pretty much got ruined because another player and i were building our characters up to a relationship, and a new player shoved her girl in for what was SUPPOSED to be a temporary snarl in working up to this relationship, then she took it over and made it all her way, and she was never punished for it when i complained. furthermore, she barely posted after that. ERG....even thinking abt it still makes me mad.

part of me is a bit glad that game is practically dead, though in private fanfics, the other player and i write our characters as they should have been.

in short....if the plot doesn't involve you, stay the @#%#! out. or ask if you want in. period. the end.
-- Che

Stormlight Designs

[icon by me][/i]

CamSPD
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by CamSPD » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:03 am

You know, I just thought of another peeve of mine that kinda goes along with Cheile's above.

There's a PBeM that I write for that, while occasionally comatose (i.e. inactive), we get spurts of people cranking out posts. This RPG was almost killed some time back when I did two things:

1.) With the permission of the group's founder, I tried to establish a timeline. For some reason I still do not understand, this did not go over well with some of the group's members.

2.) I brought in a second character who had just been released from prison, and whose file had classified information in it that only the CO, XO, Counselor and CMO were allowed to know. For the purposes of the story, the XO (whose character was formerly a CMO) was also chosen to be the character's personal physician.

Now, remember that all this was approved by the group founder/admin/CO.

My character's secrets were eventually going to be brought to light---that was always the plan. HOWEVER... I had barely gotten started with the character when certain people (the same ones who bitched about establishing a timeline) decided to take exception to the classified stuff being known by only certain other players in-story. Um, hullo, IT'S CLASSIFIED! Of course only certain people are going to get to know the info in-story! Well, to make a long story short, they raised a big stink about it and took off with their characters, which is why the sim was comatose for a very long time.

What I'm getting at is, instead of getting pissy when you don't like something or don't agree with a direction someone's going, ask them questions about it. Talk to the people involved in the plot before you go making assumptions that you're being excluded on purpose, because more than likely, it's not personal, it's just the story.

Oh, and I also don't like to be told "if you're gonna do that you may as well be writing fan fiction" when I decide I want two of my characters to become involved romantically. Um, what the hell is wrong with that?! Maybe I just happen to have specific ideas about a character, and think that another of my characters would fit better with him/her than trying to haggle out a relationship with another player.

And that's my fifty cents.
"Ah! She is a writer!"
We are free because of the brave.