Charactor Names...

A place for discussion of all forms of Roleplaying.

Moderators: jayphailey, AslanC

StarfleetUFP
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class

Charactor Names...

Post by StarfleetUFP » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:57 pm

I was just curious how people on these forums come up with names for their characters?

One of my pet peeves in checking out sim groups and reading fan-fic, is when I read otherwise original characters, but are blatantly named after either famous people or famous fictional people. There are even times when they even base most of that character's personality of that famous person or character.

Through admittedly in creating charactors, I will take either the first or last names of a characters that has inspired the creation of that characters I have created. But Always I just use one part of the name. For instance:

Aoi Nagase - XO - Wolfpack Squadron (NPC)

Aoi: Aoi Sakuraba - Ai Yori Aoshi(anime) I used some of her apperance in my descriptions of my character
Nagase: Captain Kei Nagase - Ace Combat 5 - The Unsung War(game): The main inperation for the character, who when I first created the character she(Aoi Nagase) was pilot.

Drake
Plain Old Captain
Plain Old Captain
Location: USS Vanguard NCC-91000 (currently operating in the Florida sector)

Post by Drake » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:13 pm

I can't speak for the rest. Guilty as charged, however, but in my universe it's a valid naming principle. I remember reading The Making of Star Trek by Stephen E Whitfield back when it was a new book. That dates me doesn't it? In it was a list of possible names that Roddenberry was considering for the main character in his proposed Star Trek series. Among, the Aprils, Pikes and Kirks was Drake. Being a history geek then as now, the name jumped out at me - Vice Admiral Sir Francis Drake, the famous (or infamous if you prefer) Elizabethan naval officer and privateer. Years later when we started discussing our first Star Trek RPG, the name resurfaced in my mind and Drake it became. I wanted a nice, hard sounding monosyllabic last name for my character and one that carried more than a mere scent of salt air. The rest of the character's name came from my own first and middle names. As I've mentioned elsewhere, when the second RPG came along, I recycled the name for his grandson, hence Michael T Drake III. Over the years, the name has popped up in a few other RPGs set in different eras and genres. They are probably all related in some fashion. I go out my way now, not to use the name when I do new characters for games, but every so often yet another Drake emerges to trouble the universe.

Thus babbleth the Drake again. :twisted:
“I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harms way.” – John Paul Jones

"Ooops... the navigator just told me I'm drifting off subject again. Damn my old thrusters!"

Chomh sean leis an cheo agus níos sine faoi dhó. (As old as the mist and older by two.)

amehatrekkie
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

Post by amehatrekkie » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:17 pm

i just come up with names that sound plausible: Brianna Johnston, Ingrid Wu, Alexander Forrester, etc then an appropriate background that makes sense.....
Last edited by amehatrekkie on Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ahmie K-[ay][aka Adam Kriegel], Captain of the Department of Weird yea i'm weird
STPMA WORLDBUILDING EXPERT[ RIP MJ!!] Normal people scare meAging is inevitable, maturity is optional
https://imgur.com/a/bUvNm

Drake
Plain Old Captain
Plain Old Captain

Post by Drake » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:27 pm

A minor character I did for the older Trek RPG was Dr Flynn Patrick O'Flynn, the ship's archaeologist. I wanted him to be a hell raiser on shore leave and, in a moment of extreme unoriginality, I stole the name directly from a movie called Shout At The Devil --- Lee Marvin playing yet another lovable drunken scoundrel. Usually my minor character's had names picked for no particular reason aside from being representative of their origins. Sometimes there was a hidden pun, but the only one I can remember is for a female Vulcan science officer that another player wanted. She asked me for a good Vulcan name, and I said T'Kray (as in Cray computers). It was meant as a bad joke but she liked the name and used it.
“I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harms way.” – John Paul Jones

"Ooops... the navigator just told me I'm drifting off subject again. Damn my old thrusters!"

Chomh sean leis an cheo agus níos sine faoi dhó. (As old as the mist and older by two.)

StarfleetUFP
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class

Post by StarfleetUFP » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:20 pm

Sometimes there was a hidden pun, but the only one I can remember is for a female Vulcan science officer that another player wanted. She asked me for a good Vulcan name, and I said T'Kray (as in Cray computers). It was meant as a bad joke but she liked the name and used it.
Alien Names are more difficult for me... Usually I try and combine a couple of names... but that does not always work out...

Drake
Plain Old Captain
Plain Old Captain

Post by Drake » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:26 pm

Alien names are fun because they can be pretty much whatever sounds right at the time. If it's an established race, I look at canon names to see what the general sound of the language looks like and pick one that seems to fit. With new races, I just go with some name that seems to fit the character concept, hard or soft sounds. I doubt I'm making much sense, but then I never do.

amehatrekkie
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

Post by amehatrekkie » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:31 pm

with alien names I try weird sounding words....if it's an established race like Vulcans or Andorians, i try names that fit in with the established canon...but when it's my own fanfic aliens...i just make up a word....
Ahmie K-[ay][aka Adam Kriegel], Captain of the Department of Weird yea i'm weird
STPMA WORLDBUILDING EXPERT[ RIP MJ!!] Normal people scare meAging is inevitable, maturity is optional

An-Gel Sakura
Alpha Goth Chick From Hell Moderator

Post by An-Gel Sakura » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:02 pm

With the Uencarrah, (one of my races) I use Englenese (english/japanese)

One syllable, such as An, for the first name. One syllable for the house or family name, such as Gel. (An-Gel)

Then I use a Janapese flower or food that sounds elegant, such as Sakura which means cherry blossoms. (An-Gel Sakura)

You can take an english name with two syllables and break it up to make the first and house name. Example (Rachel becomes Ray- Chal)

Try and use a japanese inflections to give it that extra authentic touch. :wink:
That which does not kill me ......BETTER RUN DAMN FAST !!! (\angel/)

Drake
Plain Old Captain
Plain Old Captain

Post by Drake » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:23 pm

Do you pronounce the Gel part with a hard G or soft? Thinking in Japanese it would be hard, but I'm a dumb duck.

An-Gel Sakura

Post by An-Gel Sakura » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:41 am

Drake wrote:Do you pronounce the Gel part with a hard G or soft? Thinking in Japanese it would be hard, but I'm a dumb duck.
An-Gel Sakura would sound like (on-jel) (sock-ue-rah). :wink:

a = o as in hot.

u = oo or ue as in pool or blue.
Last edited by An-Gel Sakura on Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
That which does not kill me ......BETTER RUN DAMN FAST !!! (\angel/)

Drake
Plain Old Captain
Plain Old Captain

Post by Drake » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:45 am

Thank you, I can now run the sounds through my noggin.

Ezri
Commander
Commander

Post by Ezri » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:17 am

With me, I keep it simple as who wants to write your long name and may get it wrong.
Underworld Awaking January 20, 2012

Drake
Plain Old Captain
Plain Old Captain

Post by Drake » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:21 am

True, and Drake is rather hard to misspell, although I have tried. :?

amehatrekkie
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

Post by amehatrekkie » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:07 am

Drake wrote:True, and Drake is rather hard to misspell, although I have tried. :?
:shock: wow you must get really really bored :roll:

Drake
Plain Old Captain
Plain Old Captain

Post by Drake » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:13 am

ambessalion wrote:
Drake wrote:True, and Drake is rather hard to misspell, although I have tried. :?
:shock: wow you must get really really bored :roll:
My child, I invented boredom and get all the royalties from it! :twisted: