What do you Like about Star Trek Gaming?

A place for discussion of all forms of Roleplaying.

Moderators: jayphailey, AslanC

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Post by jayphailey » Wed May 19, 2010 4:15 am

When you join or start a Star Trek Game, what is it that you're hoping to see from it?
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

GMDreia
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Re: What do you Like about Star Trek Gaming?

Post by GMDreia » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:24 pm

I like ST gaming both as a GM and player.

As GM:

I've run other games, and one thing I really like about ST is that I can tell all kinds of stories and somehow make it fit in the ST universe. I used to run an original-universe (friends jokingly call it the "Dreiaverse") game and there were a lot of plots I could never use in it, because they're best suited to away teams! I get to use them in ST! So, strangely, within the ST universe... I am able to be creative. Which is kind of ironic.

The other thing I like about running ST, is that most people are familiar with Star Trek these days. They know enough about the universe to create a character. This includes most non-gaming people. I don't have to deal with bringing a totally unfamiliar person into a game, and trying to explain things and them needing to buy books. They don't need to buy books; it's all on Memory Alpha.

Likewise, I don't need to buy books, either.

It's very simple.

As a player:

I like ST because like my own players (when I run), I can just jump into the game. One thing I really like about ST is that ST has always been about the characters. It's frustrating for me when I'm in a game and I can't really get into a character or develop them; that's been plenty of games I've been in.

And what I DON'T like:

Pet peeve of mine, but not of others. When I have to deal with players or GMs that are too big on being rules lawyers or are too geeky about tiny details. Like, when I have a player who is obsessed over the specs of the ship to the extent that I can't just get him to write up a character. They're not even that obsessed over specs on the show. Maybe they should be, I don't know, but there's such a thing as "Rule of Fun".
Co-GM of the Eighth Fleet RPG

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Post by jayphailey » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:58 pm

GMDreia wrote:... there's such a thing as "Rule of Fun".

AAA-greed.

Jay ~Meow!~
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

j_kendall
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class

Post by j_kendall » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:39 am

I'll go ahead and reply as both a GM and as a player. As a GM, the thing i want most out of any game I've started is a strong player base, who have a story to tell. When I find players who take initiative in starting sub-plots, who post with others from the crew without having to be nudged in that direction and who really bring their character to life I feel like I've struck gold.

As a player I want active players in a game as well as a creative GM. Honestly, I look at the site first thing. If there is a clear lack of effort placed into creating an appealing site, it shows me something about that game. The same goes for the GM's biography; if it sucks, I probably won't join. I also look at previous missions and the biographies of other characters on the game. Even though the first two criteria often prove conclusive of a game's quality, there a always those games that rare the exception.

As both player and GM, I want a compelling story. Detail is one of my favorite tinges about Star Trek. Although i don't begrudge anyone ignoring the nit picky details, i enjoy them. For me, it adds a deeper level of "realism" to me writing. If a GM has created an. Environment that is detailed, creative, and still has room to expand, that game is made much more appealing to me.

There are my thoughts.
Brent Litster

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Post by jayphailey » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:05 am

Have you ever done any Table top Trek RPG?

j_kendall
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class

Post by j_kendall » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:58 pm

Unfortunately, I have very little tabletop rpg experience at all. I have some experience with DnD, and I once tried to start one with a good friend. Unfortunately, It is difficult building a consistent table-top group when I have moved 25 times in my short 24 years of life. I have always been interested in it though.
Brent Litster

GMDreia
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by GMDreia » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:52 pm

j_kendall wrote:Unfortunately, I have very little tabletop rpg experience at all. I have some experience with DnD, and I once tried to start one with a good friend. Unfortunately, It is difficult building a consistent table-top group when I have moved 25 times in my short 24 years of life. I have always been interested in it though.
I enjoy tabletop, too. At 36 though, I've found it hard to get everybody to commit to a regular game... a lot of us have partners and kids and demanding jobs.

Online has been the most steady and in fact the easiest for *me* to commit to, as we're not locked into any one time and place... plus, you can game with people from all over the world.
Co-GM of the Eighth Fleet RPG

j_kendall
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class

Post by j_kendall » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:45 pm

This is true. I find it fun to be able to interact with people from all over the globe. I would definitely enjoy getting some more tabletop gaming in.
Brent Litster

rojblake
Ensign
Ensign

Post by rojblake » Tue May 17, 2011 6:28 am

I guess I'm a little different, I'm strictly a tabletop gamer,,,online RPGs have never really appealed to me.

The thing I like most about Trek is also one of the biggest pitfalls: virtually everyone knows it & has pretty strong opinions about it.

I liked the FASA rules, but I am hopeful that they will finally release the Trek D6 rules, the Star Wars D6 rules are some of the most adaptable that I've seen. The character generation rules from FASA were really cool (they could be improved of course, but..) they actually followed a character through the academy etc. The "Trader Captains & Merchant Princes" supplemet was great (it allowed civilians).

The biggest problem is what I'll refer to as the "Galaxy Quest syndrome" or the "Echo effect"...when we're sitting around a table (sprawled accross the floor...whatever) & the DM tells the "Scanner operator" you see _____ the player then turns & says Captain I am detecting_______

It becomes like a Ron White gag, we're in a plane the size of a pack of gum, the pilot makes an announcement over the intercom...which is a waste because he could just talk over his shoulder...."HEARD YA!".

The other difficulty is that I game mostly with civillians (so am I by the way), so even with the best intentions it often breaks down into what I will refer to as "The Good Ship Larceny" which proves ROA: 284 (\fern/)

Drake
Plain Old Captain
Plain Old Captain
Location: USS Vanguard NCC-91000 (currently operating in the Florida sector)

Post by Drake » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:16 pm

To me, it's always been about being a part of the Star Trek universe, even if a small and decidedly non-canonical part. I've been involved into two distinct campaigns and both are very fond memories. One was played largely in the 1980s using the FASA system, suitably tweaked to represent the 2282-2287 era. The second campaign used the Decipher system which could have been much better if the books had been organized properly. Needless to day, we tweaked those too. That campaign began in 2376 and went from there.

In both cases, the plots were largely character driven and the player groups a joy to share a table with. I like to think that in our own small way, we made a difference.
“I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harms way.” – John Paul Jones

"Ooops... the navigator just told me I'm drifting off subject again. Damn my old thrusters!"

Chomh sean leis an cheo agus níos sine faoi dhó. (As old as the mist and older by two.)