Mirror character advice...

A place for discussion of all forms of Roleplaying.

Moderators: jayphailey, AslanC

Gipple
Crewman 1st Class
Crewman 1st Class

Mirror character advice...

Post by Gipple » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:24 am

Hello everyone i dont know if this is the right section of the forum (or even if it exist ;P) but it seem so to me, so i'll post my question here ^^
I'm going to play a simulation in the Mirror Universe (it's already a couple of months thta my friends asked me to join them) but i can't think of a good character background so i'm seeking some help (if anyone want to help me ;P) or maybe an idea to start building his or her backgound (this option sounds better .. because my ideas are not "soo good").
Here are the "specifications":
The sim is set right after a big twist in the "canon" timeline (and canon for us is only the series and the movies, no novels or guides or something else ...) after 2280, so after Spock's Reforms and Emperor Kirk's death (actually we are in 2284 exactly), and the character must be human (sex doesent matter, but i've already told my friends that i will be a human) and he/she have to be the Security Chief or Tactical Chief or the Helm Officer (because the other position are already filled) and has to be a Liutenant or above and possibly between 25 and 50 years old.
These are the "bounds" but i prefer a couple of good hints rather than a "complete character" but i'll accept everything ;P
Thanks and sorry for my poor english, but as i said in some other posts, i'm Italian ;P

PS: If you can with the background advice can you give also a "face advice" of an actor i can "cast" to play this character ;P? Thanks again.

amehatrekkie
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

Re: Mirror character advice...

Post by amehatrekkie » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:28 am

maybe a mafia type thug that'll beat up on lowly ensigns who dares to look him/her in the eye?

there are endless possibilities.....the beauty of the mirror universe is it mirrors the 20th century more so than the prime universe so it's easier to do....just let out whatever you'd like to let out that you usually can't 'in the real world' on some pitiful crewman that crosses your path at the wrong time :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Ahmie K-[ay][aka Adam Kriegel], Captain of the Department of Weird yea i'm weird
STPMA WORLDBUILDING EXPERT[ RIP MJ!!] Normal people scare meAging is inevitable, maturity is optional
https://imgur.com/a/bUvNm

RichMerk
Chief Underpants Gnome
Chief Underpants Gnome

Post by RichMerk » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:26 pm

Female, around 30 years old. Short, dark, tousled hair. Mysterious past. Raised on a Klingon slave planet but somehow escaped. Many scars on entire body, but she keeps them covered. Weakened from the ordeals she suffered at the hands of the slavemasters. Body is criss-crossed by surgically-attached thin tubes that administer drugs to sustain her. Can give herself drug boost to enhance her strength to superhuman levels for a short period of time, but afterwards becomes violently ill and weak as a baby as a side effect.

Dark and brooding. Has sworn revenge on those who enslaved and damaged her, but for the meantime serves the Empire as Security Chief on a starship.

Gipple
Crewman 1st Class
Crewman 1st Class

Post by Gipple » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:56 am

Thanks for the responses ^^

@Ambessalion:
I 've never thought about a "simple" thug, because my friends said that they will like to have something more "subtle" in the "team" so i've started thinking about supercomplex concepts to make him/her subtle...Anyway i'll try it, let's see where it goes ;P

@RichMerk:
I like the concept a lot, but i have to discuss a couple of thing with my friends, in one of my "aborted" concepts my character was a eugenetics experiment and they want to "explain exactly" everything about the experiment (only to prevent powerplayers) but it's quite hard (at least for me) to think about all before i play with it. Anyway i'll try it ^^

Gipple
Crewman 1st Class
Crewman 1st Class

Post by Gipple » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:22 am

Lol ... three months have passed and i'm at the same point but now it isn't my fault ;P The SIM manager is "offline" for work reasons and it won't coming back early i think ... anyway now i have a character but it's a lot different from my original idea and your suggestions (they helped a lot, but in the end i used some parts of your suggestion and mixed with some of my ideas). Since the original "Ops Officer" abandoned his position, i also changed his "specialization" to Ops, since i had never done it before and i had some ideas ;P

My current "wannabe" character (it's not approved yet) is a Human Male in his early 30, a scientific genius due his eugenetic heritage, but he dont know it. He is the only son of the Vega Colony Governor who had secretly financed eugenetic researches on the colony and on his own child (while still womb). But his superior intelligence made him arrogant, irresponsible and yob. He was the leader of various low-level gangs and even in touch with some high level gangsters, but after a fight in wich he risked his own life he decided to choose the "easy" path joining the Empire with the aid of some of his father and his own old connections, living the life of priviliged..

This is roughly the "idea" of my character, i had omitted his career life in the Empire because i may change it, any idea about it? Thanks again ;P

Transom
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Transom » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:42 am

I've always found that the best way to create a character is to first think about them in the long-term. What do you want the character to accomplish? Where do you see them in 5 years of gaming? What are their strengths, weakness, and hobbies? Do they collect something? What are they afraid of?

One of my biggest pet peeves with rpg characters are the ones who start off their gaming careers by getting into fights and scoring with self-made NPCs of the opposite sex, just to show how bad-ass and sexy they are, and how everyone else should also assume the character is bad-ass and sexy.

Think of your character's voice. What does he or she sound like? Do they use big words? Is it because they're smart, or are they just trying to sound smart? Is Federation Standard their first language? Do they speak with a distinct accent?

If you look at the basics of your character, where they are now and where they want to be down the road, you can write with depth and detail. If you're just a bunch of random stats with no purpose, you're going to get bored quickly because you'll have nothing to strive for.

Never ever ever make your character great at everything. In fact, make them bad at some things that come up on a regular basis. It's okay to be the best engineer in the room, but it's annoying as hell for everyone else if you're the best engineer in the room who's also an expert marksman and a master of martial arts and also a surgeon and a great pilot. And believe me, I've seen those characters written.

That's my rambling advice. I hope it helps!

EDIT: Now that I look, I see your last post was written three months ago. Ah well. Hope it helps anyway! 8-[

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:06 am

Transom wrote:One of my biggest pet peeves with rpg characters are the ones who start off their gaming careers by getting into fights and scoring with self-made NPCs of the opposite sex, just to show how bad-ass and sexy they are, and how everyone else should also assume the character is bad-ass and sexy.
Of course, when a player creates a character that he or she wishes to have perceived as "bad-ass and sexy," and the other participants simply refuse to do so—in large measure because they have their own characterization and personal agendas—wish fulfillment is stymied. It's always amusing, for example, when one gal wishes to play a loner respected and feared by all and another guy wants to portray a rebel who respects nothing and no one. Those two usually interact well.

In other words, I completely understand this pet peeve. I just don't know that it's actually justified.
Compare the behavior of Naomi Osaka and Serena Williams, then tell me who's the real champion.

Transom
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Transom » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:57 pm

So as not to hijack this thread I've moved this discussion over to the "Pet Peeves" thread.

Gipple
Crewman 1st Class
Crewman 1st Class

Post by Gipple » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:24 am

Transom wrote:I've always found that the best way to create a character is to first think about them in the long-term. What do you want the character to accomplish? Where do you see them in 5 years of gaming? What are their strengths, weakness, and hobbies? Do they collect something? What are they afraid of?

One of my biggest pet peeves with rpg characters are the ones who start off their gaming careers by getting into fights and scoring with self-made NPCs of the opposite sex, just to show how bad-ass and sexy they are, and how everyone else should also assume the character is bad-ass and sexy.

Think of your character's voice. What does he or she sound like? Do they use big words? Is it because they're smart, or are they just trying to sound smart? Is Federation Standard their first language? Do they speak with a distinct accent?

If you look at the basics of your character, where they are now and where they want to be down the road, you can write with depth and detail. If you're just a bunch of random stats with no purpose, you're going to get bored quickly because you'll have nothing to strive for.

Never ever ever make your character great at everything. In fact, make them bad at some things that come up on a regular basis. It's okay to be the best engineer in the room, but it's annoying as hell for everyone else if you're the best engineer in the room who's also an expert marksman and a master of martial arts and also a surgeon and a great pilot. And believe me, I've seen those characters written.

That's my rambling advice. I hope it helps!

EDIT: Now that I look, I see your last post was written three months ago. Ah well. Hope it helps anyway! 8-[

Well ... i think this game will never start, lol. After almost six months nothing happened :/ Anyway, thanks a lot for your advices. They' are quite useful and actually i use a lot of them most of the time i make a new charachter, but at the time i wrote the first post i was in need only of an idea (because usually i "can't" play "bad" people, they always seem too clichè ... ]]:0 ). But thanks anyway ^^

amehatrekkie
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

Post by amehatrekkie » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:46 pm

that sucks
Ahmie K-[ay][aka Adam Kriegel], Captain of the Department of Weird yea i'm weird
STPMA WORLDBUILDING EXPERT[ RIP MJ!!] Normal people scare meAging is inevitable, maturity is optional
https://imgur.com/a/bUvNm

Ezri
Commander
Commander

Post by Ezri » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:16 pm

Best to have a new character that is not part of Star Trek already.

Would hate to see a meeting with Ezri Dax and the mirror Ezri Tigan. I hate fights and hate to see Ezri Dax get killed.

Since you from Italy, what about the current PM that stays away from underage girls LOL.
Underworld Awaking January 20, 2012

Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Post by Michael » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:32 pm

Ezri wrote:Since you from Italy, what about the current PM that stays away from underage girls LOL.
Admin Post...

Please take any discussion of Italian political figures elsewhere (like PM). It is way off topic.

Thank you.
-Michael Gray
"In Great Deeds Something Abides"

Gipple
Crewman 1st Class
Crewman 1st Class

Post by Gipple » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:19 am

Ezri wrote:Best to have a new character that is not part of Star Trek already.

Would hate to see a meeting with Ezri Dax and the mirror Ezri Tigan. I hate fights and hate to see Ezri Dax get killed.
I completely agree with that, at least in theory. From what i know of the mirror universe EVERY character have a counterpart in the standard universe and vice-versa. One of them could not exist anymore in a universe but still exist in the other (like, for example, Sisko's wife), but (if i havent misundertood you) in my case the "starndard" character doesen't (and probably will never) exists, so he is safe right now :D

Anyway, it's seems (a couple of days after i sent the last message) that the game is slowly returning to activity... probably not too soon, but i will play this charachter :mrgreen: