LARP? Anyone tried it

A place for discussion of all forms of Roleplaying.

Moderators: jayphailey, AslanC

kafka47ca
Crewman 3rd Class
Crewman 3rd Class

LARP? Anyone tried it

Post by kafka47ca » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:28 am

It would seem as we have a large contigent of cosplayers in the Trek community...has anyone tried doing a LARP based on any of the ST series...one could even use the modern day or fantasy hanger-ons to evoke either the Classic Trek motiff or the sheer alien (I know when I see those Anime things...that is the second thing I think about).

An-Gel Sakura
Alpha Goth Chick From Hell Moderator
Alpha Goth Chick From Hell Moderator

Re: LARP? Anyone tried it

Post by An-Gel Sakura » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:41 am

I've played it before on a collage campus with 30 others at the I-CON for 4 years running.
They go all out with makeup and props. \:/
Last edited by An-Gel Sakura on Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
That which does not kill me ......BETTER RUN DAMN FAST !!! (\angel/)

HeatherLi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by HeatherLi » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:03 pm

Never had the chance to LARP. No one where I live does that.

sirus
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by sirus » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:08 am

I would love to try it, it sounds like it could be fun. But I live in the middle of no where and there is no way I could ever convince enough people to put on costumes and pretend to be Starfleet officers.
From ignorance lead me to truth
From darkness lead me to light
From death lead me to immortality

ryjuda.deviantart.com

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:55 am

A friend told me that he'd been hired as Security for a con, and spent three days watching over Robert O'Reilly, who played Gowron on TNG and DS9. Evidently O'Reilly is totally into Trek (or believes in giving the convention organizers their money's worth), and got into the spirit of the whole Klingon-Federation conflict being played out in LARP there. For the best part of a long weekend, he and a select group got to run around playing Trek with the Chancellor of the Klingon Empire.

That must have been so cool.
"Jimmy Connors is a POS."
"Yeah, but that's part of his charm."

– Internet pundits hitting the nail on the head ... or, if you prefer, a lefty two-handed backhand down the line

sirus
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by sirus » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:38 am

JM1776 wrote:A friend told me that he'd been hired as Security for a con, and spent three days watching over Robert O'Reilly, who played Gowron on TNG and DS9. Evidently O'Reilly is totally into Trek (or believes in giving the convention organizers their money's worth), and got into the spirit of the whole Klingon-Federation conflict being played out in LARP there. For the best part of a long weekend, he and a select group got to run around playing Trek with the Chancellor of the Klingon Empire.

Now that must have be amazing. I've never had the chance to go to a con. ANd Larping with an acter who was in the show. Now that would be so epic. I haven't ever LARPed, but even I can tell that much.
From ignorance lead me to truth
From darkness lead me to light
From death lead me to immortality

ryjuda.deviantart.com

JaceRidley
-The Captain-
-The Captain-

Post by JaceRidley » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:17 am

As big a nerd as I am, actual LARPing anywhere other than a Renaissance Faire(Where most people dress up) goes a step too far for me, and since I don't attend "cons", I don't Cosplay. I do love RP though..

That's magic in a cheetah print coat, Just a slip underneath it I hope
Asking if I can have one of those, Organic cigarettes that she smokes
Wraps her lips round the Mexican coke, Makes you wish that you were the bottle
Takes a sip of your soul and it sounds like…

AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché
Location: Aboard USS Marshal Martz, NCC-78506 (though physically in Jamestown, NY)

Post by AdmiralSirJohn » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:25 pm

JM1776 wrote:A friend told me that he'd been hired as Security for a con, and spent three days watching over Robert O'Reilly, who played Gowron on TNG and DS9. Evidently O'Reilly is totally into Trek (or believes in giving the convention organizers their money's worth), and got into the spirit of the whole Klingon-Federation conflict being played out in LARP there. For the best part of a long weekend, he and a select group got to run around playing Trek with the Chancellor of the Klingon Empire.

I've met him (at Shore Leave). He IS into it!

Personally, though, I've never LARPed, but I do a bit of Cosplay at cons.

Of course, it's been some years since I've been to a con...
(Yes, the image is me, but the photomanip wasn't done by me.)

amehatrekkie
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

Post by amehatrekkie » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:58 pm

i really really want to :-D

RPG was fun, i'm sure this will be fun squared
Ahmie K-[ay][aka Adam Kriegel], Captain of the Department of Weird yea i'm weird
STPMA WORLDBUILDING EXPERT[ RIP MJ!!] Normal people scare meAging is inevitable, maturity is optional
https://imgur.com/a/bUvNm

Chris_Carter
Senior Chief Petty Officer
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post by Chris_Carter » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:51 pm

The quality of LARP heavily depends on your fellow players and - of course - on a well written and flexible story. The most important part is, that you think of it as kind of method acting, so you never get out of your role (unless asked to do so). If you are a Vulcan and a Lieutenant comes your way screaming: "SPIDER! SPIDER!", you don't break the game - you stop him and say with a calm voice: "Is there any reason, you tell it to environmental control in person? Is the communication network inoperable?" (or something along that line).

Incorporated in this main rule is of course the need for action. Don't ask your GM for story, just act it out. What would a Starfleet soldier do when off duty? Visit the mess room? Play some darts? Make friends on his new ship? Of course this isn't enough for a weekend of LARPing, but it fills holes in the plot and can be quite a bit of fun.

If you want to start of easy, you could do "bridge simulations". In this case you don't need much of a setting. It's just two tables and a chair and you have a bridge. Then you need a simple story, that is unknown to the players and confront them with it. For example you could tell them, they are guarding a convoy, when suddenly two fighters come around. They could easily be destroyed, but not without leaving the convoy. But if you leave the convoy behind, it might be a trap. What does the crew do? What will happen?

A more advanced version could be in a youth hostel or camp, where you can use the buildings as your ship and the outside as "planetary mission". At my last LARP for example, we were traped on a planet of earth-like conditions, when suddenly romulan forces showed up and blocked our transport signal. What would we do? Hide in the woods and see, what the romulan (NSC) where about to do? Go talk to them? Shoot them? It was quite a bit of fun, hiding from a bunch of GM-instructed "romulans" behind trees or knolls.

So.. yeah, LARP is the fun of RPG squard, if you have a nice group and a clever and flexible GM.

SOASAMCRO
Crewman 2nd Class
Crewman 2nd Class

Post by SOASAMCRO » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:50 pm

Never Larped, Roleplayed for severeal years now, everything from Stargate/Star Trek, Buffy and Angel and Sons of Anarchy. Never been to a Con because we don't have them where I live :(