Login |  Register |  FAQ

LARP? Anyone tried it

Post subject: LARP? Anyone tried it
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:28 am 
Crewman 3rd Class
Crewman 3rd Class

It would seem as we have a large contigent of cosplayers in the Trek community...has anyone tried doing a LARP based on any of the ST series...one could even use the modern day or fantasy hanger-ons to evoke either the Classic Trek motiff or the sheer alien (I know when I see those Anime things...that is the second thing I think about).

Post subject: Re: LARP? Anyone tried it
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:41 am 
Alpha Goth Chick From Hell Moderator
Alpha Goth Chick From Hell Moderator

I've played it before on a collage campus with 30 others at the I-CON for 4 years running.
They go all out with makeup and props. \:/

Last edited by An-Gel Sakura on Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:03 pm 
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Never had the chance to LARP. No one where I live does that.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:08 am 
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I would love to try it, it sounds like it could be fun. But I live in the middle of no where and there is no way I could ever convince enough people to put on costumes and pretend to be Starfleet officers.

ryjuda.deviantart.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:55 am 
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

A friend told me that he'd been hired as Security for a con, and spent three days watching over Robert O'Reilly, who played Gowron on TNG and DS9. Evidently O'Reilly is totally into Trek (or believes in giving the convention organizers their money's worth), and got into the spirit of the whole Klingon-Federation conflict being played out in LARP there. For the best part of a long weekend, he and a select group got to run around playing Trek with the Chancellor of the Klingon Empire.

That must have been so cool.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:38 am 
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

JM1776 wrote:
A friend told me that he'd been hired as Security for a con, and spent three days watching over Robert O'Reilly, who played Gowron on TNG and DS9. Evidently O'Reilly is totally into Trek (or believes in giving the convention organizers their money's worth), and got into the spirit of the whole Klingon-Federation conflict being played out in LARP there. For the best part of a long weekend, he and a select group got to run around playing Trek with the Chancellor of the Klingon Empire.

Now that must have be amazing. I've never had the chance to go to a con. ANd Larping with an acter who was in the show. Now that would be so epic. I haven't ever LARPed, but even I can tell that much.

ryjuda.deviantart.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:17 am 
-The Captain-
-The Captain-

As big a nerd as I am, actual LARPing anywhere other than a Renaissance Faire(Where most people dress up) goes a step too far for me, and since I don't attend "cons", I don't Cosplay. I do love RP though..

That's magic in a cheetah print coat, Just a slip underneath it I hope
Asking if I can have one of those, Organic cigarettes that she smokes
Wraps her lips round the Mexican coke, Makes you wish that you were the bottle
Takes a sip of your soul and it sounds like…

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:25 pm 
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Location: Aboard USS Marshal Martz, NCC-78506 (though physically in Jamestown, NY)
JM1776 wrote:

I've met him (at Shore Leave). He IS into it!

Personally, though, I've never LARPed, but I do a bit of Cosplay at cons.

Of course, it's been some years since I've been to a con...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:58 pm 
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

i really really want to :-D

RPG was fun, i'm sure this will be fun squared

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:51 pm 
Senior Chief Petty Officer
Senior Chief Petty Officer

The quality of LARP heavily depends on your fellow players and - of course - on a well written and flexible story. The most important part is, that you think of it as kind of method acting, so you never get out of your role (unless asked to do so). If you are a Vulcan and a Lieutenant comes your way screaming: "SPIDER! SPIDER!", you don't break the game - you stop him and say with a calm voice: "Is there any reason, you tell it to environmental control in person? Is the communication network inoperable?" (or something along that line).

Incorporated in this main rule is of course the need for action. Don't ask your GM for story, just act it out. What would a Starfleet soldier do when off duty? Visit the mess room? Play some darts? Make friends on his new ship? Of course this isn't enough for a weekend of LARPing, but it fills holes in the plot and can be quite a bit of fun.

If you want to start of easy, you could do "bridge simulations". In this case you don't need much of a setting. It's just two tables and a chair and you have a bridge. Then you need a simple story, that is unknown to the players and confront them with it. For example you could tell them, they are guarding a convoy, when suddenly two fighters come around. They could easily be destroyed, but not without leaving the convoy. But if you leave the convoy behind, it might be a trap. What does the crew do? What will happen?

A more advanced version could be in a youth hostel or camp, where you can use the buildings as your ship and the outside as "planetary mission". At my last LARP for example, we were traped on a planet of earth-like conditions, when suddenly romulan forces showed up and blocked our transport signal. What would we do? Hide in the woods and see, what the romulan (NSC) where about to do? Go talk to them? Shoot them? It was quite a bit of fun, hiding from a bunch of GM-instructed "romulans" behind trees or knolls.

So.. yeah, LARP is the fun of RPG squard, if you have a nice group and a clever and flexible GM.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:50 pm 
Crewman 2nd Class
Crewman 2nd Class

Never Larped, Roleplayed for severeal years now, everything from Stargate/Star Trek, Buffy and Angel and Sons of Anarchy. Never been to a Con because we don't have them where I live :(