Playing the opposite sex..

A place for discussion of all forms of Roleplaying.

Moderators: jayphailey, AslanC

An-Gel Sakura
Alpha Goth Chick From Hell Moderator

Re: Playing the opposite sex..

Post by An-Gel Sakura » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:24 pm

Acting requires you to take on a role and become the character.

I've played...
Men of action,
men of cowardice,
gay men,
reptile men with alien ticks,
Vulcans,
Hermaphrodites,
lesbians,
Robots.
Girl power,
submissive girls,
dominant women,
Angels,
Devils,
wives,
husbands,
children,
ever a horse,
etc.
Last edited by An-Gel Sakura on Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That which does not kill me ......BETTER RUN DAMN FAST !!! (\angel/)

Chris_Carter
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post by Chris_Carter » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:38 pm

Wow, it seems I still have a long way to ... thanks for the ideas :lol:

An-Gel Sakura wrote:gay men,
Hermaphrodites,
Robots.
submissive girls,
wives,
children,
ever a horse

Those are missing from my list, although I played a dog once and ever since then the word around my RP was, I could even pull of a hot dog and still have ideas for a storyline. (actually it was a Wurstsemmel instead of the hot dog, but that's kind of a inside joke for those who now the famous german TV show Kommisar Rex)

KahlessOfVulcan
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Post by KahlessOfVulcan » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:18 pm

I would think that if you can write a convincing opposite-sex character in a non role-playing situation, you should be able to role-play as one just as well. Both situations require you to understand your character and get inside their head.

Having said that, not all role-players are writers and not all writers can write convincing opposite-sex characters. Personally, I've never role-played at all but I thought I'd post my two cents in here anyways since the same principles should apply to writing in general.
"You may think you're stronger than me - and MAYBE you are - but I got something you ain't never gonna have. Heart."
-Ben Grimm, AKA The Ever-Lovin' Blue Eyed Thing

Thanks to Joshawott for my avatar (Lt. Mike McCormack, USS Sovereign)

Captain Marshal
Commander
Commander

Post by Captain Marshal » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:52 pm

I agree: Role-playing requires one to not just be a character but to assume the character and become the character. Only then can someone role-play a character well. It helps if one is a writer and can thus express themselves and their character better but not a requirement. What is important is one can lay aside their preconcieved ideas and biases when they role-play.

The draw back is one may loose touch with reality if they spend too much time as a character. There are times when I myself have blurred the lines between my main character's wants and desires with my own wants and needs. This particularly happens during relationships. With a male character this happens more than when I RP an opposite sex character but the problems encountered when RPing relationship problems is more difficult to handle when it's opposite sex. I wonder if this is due to the fact that I'm male so that I'm not 100% attuned to a woman's sensitivities when in a relationship.
Always fight for the dream of a better tomorrow, one that future generations will be proud to inherit.
Any dream worthy of fighting for is worth dying for. But anything worth dying for is also worth LIVING for.
Never stop fighting back the darkness or else it will overwhelm you. Faith Manages.

Chris_Carter

Post by Chris_Carter » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:13 pm

It's quite a strange feeling however to become a woman when role-playing. Even stranger, if you're not in your role anymore...

But the worst of all: Dreams. I'm playing a orion female, who is a bit... open to invitations, but recently somehow settles for her XO, while pretending it's "just an adventure". Can you imagine how strange you feel, when realizing in the morning, your dreams haven't been about .. erm .. how to I put this in a non-offensive way? .. you and "this chick" but rather you and "that handsome XO" °_°

Edit: No, I'm not gay.

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:33 pm

Chris_Carter wrote:Edit: No, I'm not gay.

He does, however, have his hand on a closet door. :[]]
"Jimmy Connors is a POS."
"Yeah, but that's part of his charm."

– Internet pundits hitting the nail on the head ... or, if you prefer, a lefty two-handed backhand down the line

Chris_Carter

Post by Chris_Carter » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:44 pm

Like in coming out of said closet? *shrug* I don't know. Only thing I know is, that I have been (sexually) attracted to many women but not to one single man yet. Plus, I live in a heterosexual relationship for over six years now.

(Maybe at this point I should re-state, that I role-play in written form, on a bulletin board, so "the XO" was no specific man in this one wierd dream, which was - I should add - not about sex.)

But then again... who am I fooling? Obviously I'm just trying to hide my pure, true and wild love for my sweet little JM1776. Why would I hang out here and share storys like that with you guys? Think about it! 8)

An-Gel Sakura

Post by An-Gel Sakura » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:50 pm

Chris_Carter wrote:Only thing I know is, that I have been (sexually) attracted to many women

Me too. =P~ :wink:

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:52 pm

Chris_Carter wrote:Obviously I'm just trying to hide my pure, true and wild love for my sweet little JM1776.

"Sweet little," eh? As Uhura says in "The Naked Time," "Sorry, neither!" :wink:

Didn't you catch the smiley? It was clearly labeled as humor.

[Foghorn Leghorn]"That was a joke, I say I say a joke, son. Try and keep up, will ya?"[/Foghorn Leghorn]

We've all had unusual dreams, I wager. I experienced only three days ago a brief vision of my late grandmother, whom I've never encountered in that fashion/locale before, as I recall.
"Jimmy Connors is a POS."
"Yeah, but that's part of his charm."

– Internet pundits hitting the nail on the head ... or, if you prefer, a lefty two-handed backhand down the line

collierctr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by collierctr » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:57 pm

Chris_Carter wrote:It's quite a strange feeling however to become a woman when role-playing. Even stranger, if you're not in your role anymore...

But the worst of all: Dreams. I'm playing a orion female, who is a bit... open to invitations, but recently somehow settles for her XO, while pretending it's "just an adventure". Can you imagine how strange you feel, when realizing in the morning, your dreams haven't been about .. erm .. how to I put this in a non-offensive way? .. you and "this chick" but rather you and "that handsome XO" °_°

Edit: No, I'm not gay.

What if a transgender who used to be male rp'd as a transgender who used to be female getting into a relationship with a transgender who used to be male... and it turns out the other player was a transgender who used to be female...

hmmm... maybe that's where Dick got the idea for 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep'...

:)
"THERE IS NO SANCTUARY!"

Chris_Carter

Post by Chris_Carter » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:14 pm

@JM1776: Seems like I have to work on my return. ::sabre::

Captain Marshal
Commander
Commander

Post by Captain Marshal » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:39 pm

Chris_Carter wrote:@JM1776: Seems like I have to work on my return. ::sabre::

"I shall return" by General Douglas McArthur during WWII comes to mind.

As for having weird dreams and whatnot, I wonder if anyone else has such problems after they RP? I do dream about things I RP but when it comes to intimate affairs, my dreams remain unaffected. But my dream perceptions of nearly everything else may be. So I'm curious if anyone else have experienced somethign similar.
Always fight for the dream of a better tomorrow, one that future generations will be proud to inherit.
Any dream worthy of fighting for is worth dying for. But anything worth dying for is also worth LIVING for.
Never stop fighting back the darkness or else it will overwhelm you. Faith Manages.

collierctr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by collierctr » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:55 am

Every once in a blue moon I have dreams I still own a van that I owned for about 6 years and got rid of when it hit 100,000 miles and was starting to fall apart. In my dreams it's still falling apart but I still have it.

Had a dream about it last night in fact. It was running, but running rough.

I think I miss that van... got rid of it years ago...
"THERE IS NO SANCTUARY!"

An-Gel Sakura

Post by An-Gel Sakura » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:58 am

Chris_Carter wrote:Obviously I'm just trying to hide my pure, true and wild love for my sweet little JM1776.
Sweet little JM1776? )wtf(

Hey JM1776,

He don't know you very well, do he?

(\angel/)

Ezri
Commander
Commander

Post by Ezri » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:30 am

JM1776 wrote:
Ezri wrote:My personal view, I cannot make a credibly role play of a male, because I am not a male.

You may not be able to accomplish it, but it most emphatically isn't because you're female. It's some other psychological or pathological limitation that prevents you from doing so, since others have managed such roles surpassingly well.

That in itself utterly refutes your point.

JM1776

Let me make this more clear. If you say I have a limitation you can be correct, but it is not psycholigical or pathological. In real life, I am a lesbian and now married in a single sex marriage.

If I joined a role play game as a male character I could and write in a nice middle of the road personia. People like to get along with other characters within any role play game. There is a chance some other woman plays a woman character, and in this case I as a woman play a male character. If she is nice to me, it would be common to be nice to her. After months or just a few weeks, we build a nice friendship with our characters. Then, with talking with other people that it comes out that in real life that I am a lesbian.

She has two choices, let our role play just play out. In that case, the other members could be thinking she is a Lesbian in real life. Or, she can make a complaint to the Administrator telling that she and a few other players will leave. Or, have me banned just because I am a lesbian in real life. I can understand her point of view, as I would be just as upset talking to someone in a chatroom dealing with being a lesbian that was acting as a woman and in fact a male. Therefore, I support her and I would be upset with the ending of my character that I could have spent weeks or months in development.

Look, I and other lesbian women get upset when they are in a lesbian chartoom and they are really talking to a male. Trust me, some times sex acts happen, and, most time two men that are role playing as a lesbian woman are in fact having cyber sex. See, I do not really like that. So, I really do not like the idea to role play as a male. Hope you understand.
Underworld Awaking January 20, 2012