I've discussed this very briefly with Jay ...

A place for discussion of all forms of Roleplaying.

Moderators: jayphailey, AslanC

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

I've discussed this very briefly with Jay ...

Post by JM1776 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:17 pm

... and evidently there are a number of people who'd really like if I were to run a game here.

I'd consider a number of possibilities:
  • I've prepared a campaign for Dungeons and Dragons (or one of its kissing cousins) entitled Holy Land: A Tale of the Crusades that I'd very much enjoy running
  • I'm always game for a Marvel Super Heroes story arc, set in my own well-established version of the Marvel Universe; we'll call it Marvel-1776, since that number's yet unclaimed
  • Any number of Star Trek-related series are on the table as well, including a "Lower Decks" USS Liberty campaign, Banshee Squadron-like fighter jocks game, independent freight hauler groups, or even a Cardassian-, Klingon- or Romulan-centered series
Feel free to offer your thoughts.
Compare the behavior of Naomi Osaka and Serena Williams, then tell me who's the real champion.

KahlessOfVulcan
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Re: I've discussed this very briefly with Jay ...

Post by KahlessOfVulcan » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:34 pm

If you were to run a game here, how familiar would one have to be with role-playing games to join in? Would it be something an absolute newbie like me could be a part of, or would I be better off sticking with a basically freeform game like Sovereign? I mean I don't even know the basic format of how a more strictly moderated or rule-based game works, or what actions a character can do or how to come up with/understand character stats. I'd be interested to learn, but if my total lack of experience would a) make it excessively difficult for me or b) screw things up for the other players I'd prefer to stay away.

Having said that, I am potentially interested in either your Marvel setting or a Trek game.
"You may think you're stronger than me - and MAYBE you are - but I got something you ain't never gonna have. Heart."
-Ben Grimm, AKA The Ever-Lovin' Blue Eyed Thing

Thanks to Joshawott for my avatar (Lt. Mike McCormack, USS Sovereign)

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:28 pm

Marvel's ridiculously easy. There are any number of websites that would show you the FASERIP system engine it employs, which I use when not simply refereeing in a free-form style.

Here's the table. It's pretty damned intuitive, if you ask me. Then, again, I've played off and on for decades. :)

http://sniktbub.wdfiles.com/local--file ... ble/ut.jpg

It's such a fun game if you're into comics. :yhoo:

Insofar as Star Trek is concerned ... I tend to have players create characters if they're familiar with the system, and do it for them if they aren't, using the Last Unicorn Games materials. Generally speaking, I only tend to employ statistics if players begin to quarrel with other players and I'm called on to be an objective arbiter of their perhaps lethal dispute. (I tend to strongly discourage this, but I don't out-and-out ban it, because I'm not interested in forbidding adults freedom of action.)

Either way, you'd neither be in trouble creating or a burden on other players/me, I assure you.
Compare the behavior of Naomi Osaka and Serena Williams, then tell me who's the real champion.

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by captainuniverse » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:25 pm

Sounds fascinating. I've mentioned before that I used to play Classic Marvel RPG. I would be interested in that. Would you assign characters or would we have to generate our own? I used to be a Judge but I prefer playing to Judging.
"All of Time and Space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?"

"Geronimo!"

Thanks to FltCpt. Bossco for my Tattok avatar. This is Tattok when he assumed the position of Commander-in-Chief, Starfleet in the year 2411.

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:00 pm

captainuniverse wrote:Sounds fascinating. I've mentioned before that I used to play Classic Marvel RPG. I would be interested in that. Would you assign characters or would we have to generate our own? I used to be a Judge but I prefer playing to Judging.
I'd never assign characters. What fun is that? You'd have the option of playing established Marvel personalities or instead creating your own.

I'd suggest striking a balance between 'fully actualized' and 'room for growth,' but that's entirely up to you. In my opinion, since most characters have been written by a figurative legion of writers over the years, it's entirely legitimate to say, "I want to play Captain America." You would be, for all intents and purposes, writing him, after all. On the other hand, if you decide that Cap's going to become a womanizing, drunken Chinese double agent, I'll probably pull the plug on your creative portrayal before you can say, "Malfunctioning LMD."

This world has taken a somewhat different turn than the mainstream reality, Marvel-616. A number of heroes you've grown to know and love are dead, never to return, since I don't, as a rule, resurrect the fallen, as does 616—though it's not entirely unheard of. Some villains have also departed the mortal plane, and quite a few never existed.

I'm certainly willing to begin a thread explaining some of the more apparent differences between Marvel-616 and Marvel-1776, if anyone's interested.

KahlessOfVulcan
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Post by KahlessOfVulcan » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:47 pm

I'm certainly willing to begin a thread explaining some of the more apparent differences between Marvel-616 and Marvel-1776, if anyone's interested.
Yes please! I'd find that fascinating whether I end up playing or not.

As for the other stuff I asked about, thanks. That reassures me quite a bit. It took me a few minutes but I did get my head around the table.

So mark me down as probably interested.
"You may think you're stronger than me - and MAYBE you are - but I got something you ain't never gonna have. Heart."

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by captainuniverse » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:21 pm

I would like to know the differents too.

Time to pull out my Marvel books.
"All of Time and Space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?"

"Geronimo!"

Thanks to FltCpt. Bossco for my Tattok avatar. This is Tattok when he assumed the position of Commander-in-Chief, Starfleet in the year 2411.

Joshawott
RPG-GM
RPG-GM

Post by Joshawott » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:25 pm

The Marvel game sounds enticing, but I find that the sort of non-Starfleet Star Trek sounds equally as fun. And even then, I feel compelled to play in a "Lower Decks" Star Trek as well. It was my favorite episode of TNG, and I strongly considered using that theme for a fan fiction that never happened. All-in-all, whatever game you set out to create, I'm sure people will join and enjoy, including myself.
Happiness can be found, even in the darkest times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.

I request Level 3 Critique on anything in the Critique section.

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:33 pm

Liberty Lower Decks could be quite amusing. I'd expect players to create characters ranging in rank from midshipman (on their cadet cruise), through the various crewman, petty and warrant officer ranks, to the commissioned types. No one should rank higher than lieutenant, junior grade, however.

Joshawott
RPG-GM
RPG-GM

Post by Joshawott » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:43 pm

Sounds pretty fun. I have a few characters I could spill in. As well as the Marvel; me and my cousin used to make very low quality comics with crayons, but the characters seemed to be of higher interest. I think I still have a few drawn "biography" paged in my closet. I'd be happy to revive and polish my superheroes \:/
Happiness can be found, even in the darkest times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.

I request Level 3 Critique on anything in the Critique section.

Kevin W.
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Kevin W. » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:14 am

I'd definitely love to join a Trek RPG.
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA

2012 NCAA BASEBALL NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:10 pm

Well, Sovereign's still recruiting. :)

I'm much more inclined to run Marvel or D&D if someone here already has a Trek game in progress. Too much like a competition.

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by captainuniverse » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:16 pm

I would be intetested in a Marvel RP. I'm sure that I rewire the Sovereign's warp core to manage my time properly to give either RP the proper attention.

"Geronimo!"

KahlessOfVulcan
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Post by KahlessOfVulcan » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:40 pm

I'd be a lot more interested in playing a Trek game and a Marvel game than in playing two Trek games.

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by captainuniverse » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:33 pm

I agree with the violent blueskin. \Y/

"Geronimo!"