Login |  Register |  FAQ

Forum rules

The General Discussion Forum is for topics that do not fall into categories covered by other forums. However, religion and politics are off limits. Also, flaming, trolling, and spam will not be allowed in General Discussion.

In Rest In Peace (RIP) threads, bashing on the recently deceased is not allowed.

Please note - Threads in the General Discussion forum auto prune after 260 days of inactivity.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

It's Trivia Time Once More!

Post subject: It's Trivia Time Once More!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:56 am 
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

As always, one must answer these questions from memory. Do not employ any resource material, either hard copy or electronic.

Current topic: The United Monarchy of Israel and Judah

1. (1 point) The city of _________ was controlled by the Jebusites before David captured and made it the capital of his then-small but burgeoning empire.

2. (2 points) In Canaanite kingdoms, including Solomonic Israel, the position and authority of queen was held not by the monarch's wife or even one of his concubines, but instead this member of his family. (Bathsheba is the most famous example in this tradition; she was Solomon's ______.)

3. (3 points) Uriah, first husband of Bathsheba, was not a native of Canaan, but instead hailed from a land to the north—whose people, under their greatest king, Muwatalli II, are most famous for fighting Egypt under Rameses II in the first major battle of world history, at Kadesh. They were the ________.

4. (4 points) David's elite soldiers have often been known by this alliterative phrase.

5. (5 points) Which of King David's sons died of a bad hair day?

6. (6 points) What king, infamous for promising to chastise his people "with scorpions", succeeded Solomon, and presided over the breakup of the Israelite Empire?

7. (7 points) According to legend and tradition, Solomon and the Queen of Sheba gave birth to a son who became the first leader of a powerful North African kingdom. For three points, identify it, and for four more, name him.

First player to fifty points earns one of the following:

• A photomanipulation of any actor or actress into the Trek uniform of their choice, on any topical background desired
  • Their preferred character, whether one of mine or their own, featured as a lead character in a new Liberty story of my own creation
  • One of my infamous Trek-related rants, on a subject of their choosing

Good luck.

Post subject: Re: It's Trivia Time Once More!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:35 pm 
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

JM1776 wrote:
Current topic: The United Monarchy of Israel and Judah

1. (1 point) The city of _________ was controlled by the Jebusites before David captured and made it the capital of his then-small but burgeoning empire.

Jerusalem

Quote:
2. (2 points) In Canaanite kingdoms, including Solomonic Israel, the position and authority of queen was held not by the monarch's wife or even one of his concubines, but instead this member of his family. (Bathsheba is the most famous example in this tradition; she was Solomon's ______.)

Mother

Quote:
3. (3 points) Uriah, first husband of Bathsheba, was not a native of Canaan, but instead hailed from a land to the north—whose people, under their greatest king, Muwatalli II, are most famous for fighting Egypt under Rameses II in the first major battle of world history, at Kadesh. They were the ________.

Hittites

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:04 am 
--------Da Sib-------- Moderator

JM1776 wrote:

7. (7 points) According to legend and tradition, Solomon and the Queen of Sheba gave birth to a son who became the first leader of a powerful North African kingdom. For three points, identify it, and for four more, name him.

Ethiopia and the sons name was Amenilick(?), maybe?

I live in my own little world, but it's OK ... they know me here.

“Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.” Albert Einstein

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” - Dr. Seuss

Festina Lente

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:31 am 
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Impressive.

All answers thus far given were correct. (It's usually spelled "Menelik," but I'm not going to nitpick your points away, Dance.)

That leaves us with a leader board already:

Dancyer McCoy: 7
Michael: 6

What a pair of smarty pants you are. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:26 pm 
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

Technically the kingdom would be Axum.

Ethiopia become the name of the region in the medieval era.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:24 pm 
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Do you honestly think I need a history lesson from you, Ambie—even on your homeland?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:28 pm 
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

JM1776 wrote:
Do you honestly think I need a history lesson from you, Ambie—even on your homeland?

No. I'm answering the quiz.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:32 pm 

ambessalion wrote:

:lol: Been watching "Expedition Unknown" again?

I live in my own little world, but it's OK ... they know me here.

“Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.” Albert Einstein

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” - Dr. Seuss

Festina Lente

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:42 pm 
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

Dancyer McCoy wrote:
ambessalion wrote:

:lol: Been watching "Expedition Unknown" again?

Nope, I was born there, I've read about it and heard stories my whole life.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:16 am 
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

And we established years ago that you're not supposed to answer questions about Ethiopia, because it's pathetically easy for you, didn't we?

It's by definition not trivia for you.

No points for you!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:08 am 
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

JM1776 wrote:
And we established years ago that you're not supposed to answer questions about Ethiopia, because it's pathetically easy for you, didn't we?

No points for you!

i believe the rule established only applied to one quiz set specifically at that time, not any and all questions regarding the country.

in that case, that disqualifies me from any history, anthropology and graphic design based questions as well since those are my primary areas of of expertise.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:44 pm 
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

ambessalion wrote:
JM1776 wrote:

No points for you!

i believe the rule established only applied to one quiz set specifically at that time, not any and all questions regarding the country.

in that case, that disqualifies me from any history, anthropology and graphic design based questions as well since those are my primary areas of of expertise.

Anyone with deep expertise in a particular area of study probably shouldn't be answering trivia questions, since for them it's not trivial, now is it? Defeats the purpose and leeches the fun right out of it.

You're perfectly welcome to answer other history questions, since I'm quite capable of stumping you (and have done so on innumerable occasions). But if you leap in and answer queries involving Ethiopia, when it's your home country, you effectively prevent me from asking any, since you're likely to answer them without effort. Just employ some discretion and let it go.

If you must continue this line of discussion, do it in PM.

We now return to the subject at hand.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:22 pm 
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Next topic: Power of Three

1. [1 point] In Corinthians 13, St. Paul mentions the abiding qualities "faith, hope and love". What word often replaces "love" in certain translations?

2. [2 points] DC Comics considers what superheroes to comprise its "Trinity"?

3. [2 points] Name three cities that have served as the United States' capital.

4. [2 points] What kaiju team up to defeat the evil star dragon in Ghidrah, the Three-Headed Monster?

5. [3 points] What three men held permanent command of the USS Enterprise as its captain during Star Trek: The Next Generation's seven season run?

6. [3 points] After one of her selves died, this Legion of Super-Heroes member became known as Duo Damsel.

7. [4 points] Only three men have won more than 13 Grand Slam singles titles in tennis history. Name them.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:01 pm 
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

Quote:
2. [2 points] DC Comics considers what superheroes to comprise its "Trinity"?

Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman

Quote:
3. [2 points] Name three cities that have served as the United States' capital.

New York City, Philadelphia and Washington DC

Quote:
5. [3 points] What three men held permanent command of the USS Enterprise as its captain during Star Trek: The Next Generation's seven season run?

Jellico, Picard, Riker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:06 pm 
Klingon Admin
Klingon Admin

JM1776 wrote:

1. [1 point] In Corinthians 13, St. Paul mentions the abiding qualities "faith, hope and love". What word often replaces "love" in certain translations?

Charity.

JM1776 wrote:
6. [3 points] After one of her selves died, this Legion of Super-Heroes member became known as Duo Damsel..

Triplicate Girl (Man...that hit me right in the memory feels. *L* That was the first time I remember a hero EVER actually dying in a comic.)

Fic ahoy!

Well, damn....what should I write next? Hmmmmmmmm......

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next