It's Trivia Time Once More!

Discussion about pretty much anything - except politics and religion

Moderators: Michael, Quoshara

Forum rules
The General Discussion Forum is for topics that do not fall into categories covered by other forums. However, religion and politics are off limits. Also, flaming, trolling, and spam will not be allowed in General Discussion.

In Rest In Peace (RIP) threads, bashing on the recently deceased is not allowed.

Please note - Threads in the General Discussion forum auto prune after 260 days of inactivity.

It's Trivia Time Once More!

Postby JM1776 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:56 am

As always, one must answer these questions from memory. Do not employ any resource material, either hard copy or electronic.

Current topic: The United Monarchy of Israel and Judah

1. (1 point) The city of _________ was controlled by the Jebusites before David captured and made it the capital of his then-small but burgeoning empire.

2. (2 points) In Canaanite kingdoms, including Solomonic Israel, the position and authority of queen was held not by the monarch's wife or even one of his concubines, but instead this member of his family. (Bathsheba is the most famous example in this tradition; she was Solomon's ______.)

3. (3 points) Uriah, first husband of Bathsheba, was not a native of Canaan, but instead hailed from a land to the north—whose people, under their greatest king, Muwatalli II, are most famous for fighting Egypt under Rameses II in the first major battle of world history, at Kadesh. They were the ________.

4. (4 points) David's elite soldiers have often been known by this alliterative phrase.

5. (5 points) Which of King David's sons died of a bad hair day?

6. (6 points) What king, infamous for promising to chastise his people "with scorpions", succeeded Solomon, and presided over the breakup of the Israelite Empire?

7. (7 points) According to legend and tradition, Solomon and the Queen of Sheba gave birth to a son who became the first leader of a powerful North African kingdom. For three points, identify it, and for four more, name him.

First player to fifty points earns one of the following:

• A photomanipulation of any actor or actress into the Trek uniform of their choice, on any topical background desired
  • Their preferred character, whether one of mine or their own, featured as a lead character in a new Liberty story of my own creation
  • One of my infamous Trek-related rants, on a subject of their choosing

Good luck.
"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."
JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Re: It's Trivia Time Once More!

Postby Michael » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:35 pm

JM1776 wrote:Current topic: The United Monarchy of Israel and Judah

1. (1 point) The city of _________ was controlled by the Jebusites before David captured and made it the capital of his then-small but burgeoning empire.

Jerusalem

2. (2 points) In Canaanite kingdoms, including Solomonic Israel, the position and authority of queen was held not by the monarch's wife or even one of his concubines, but instead this member of his family. (Bathsheba is the most famous example in this tradition; she was Solomon's ______.)

Mother

3. (3 points) Uriah, first husband of Bathsheba, was not a native of Canaan, but instead hailed from a land to the north—whose people, under their greatest king, Muwatalli II, are most famous for fighting Egypt under Rameses II in the first major battle of world history, at Kadesh. They were the ________.

Hittites
-Michael Gray
"In Great Deeds Something Abides"
Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Postby Dancyer McCoy » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:04 am

JM1776 wrote:
7. (7 points) According to legend and tradition, Solomon and the Queen of Sheba gave birth to a son who became the first leader of a powerful North African kingdom. For three points, identify it, and for four more, name him.

Ethiopia and the sons name was Amenilick(?), maybe?
Dancyer
________

I live in my own little world, but it's OK ... they know me here.

“Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.” Albert Einstein

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” - Dr. Seuss

Festina Lente
Dancyer McCoy
--------Da Sib-------- Moderator

Postby JM1776 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:31 am

Impressive.

All answers thus far given were correct. (It's usually spelled "Menelik," but I'm not going to nitpick your points away, Dance.)

That leaves us with a leader board already:

Dancyer McCoy: 7
Michael: 6

What a pair of smarty pants you are. :)
JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Postby amehatrekkie » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:26 pm

Technically the kingdom would be Axum.

Ethiopia become the name of the region in the medieval era.
Ahmie K-[ay][aka Adam Kriegel], Captain of the Department of Weird yea i'm weird
STPMA WORLDBUILDING EXPERT[ RIP MJ!!] Normal people scare meAging is inevitable, maturity is optional
https://imgur.com/a/bUvNm
amehatrekkie
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

Postby JM1776 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:24 pm

Do you honestly think I need a history lesson from you, Ambie—even on your homeland?
JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Postby amehatrekkie » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:28 pm

JM1776 wrote:Do you honestly think I need a history lesson from you, Ambie—even on your homeland?

No. I'm answering the quiz.
Ahmie K-[ay][aka Adam Kriegel], Captain of the Department of Weird yea i'm weird
STPMA WORLDBUILDING EXPERT[ RIP MJ!!] Normal people scare meAging is inevitable, maturity is optional
amehatrekkie
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

Postby Dancyer McCoy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:32 pm

ambessalion wrote:Technically the kingdom would be Axum.

:lol: Been watching "Expedition Unknown" again?
Dancyer
________

I live in my own little world, but it's OK ... they know me here.

“Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.” Albert Einstein

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” - Dr. Seuss

Festina Lente
Dancyer McCoy

Postby amehatrekkie » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:42 pm

Dancyer McCoy wrote:
ambessalion wrote:Technically the kingdom would be Axum.

:lol: Been watching "Expedition Unknown" again?

Nope, I was born there, I've read about it and heard stories my whole life.
amehatrekkie
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

Postby JM1776 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:16 am

And we established years ago that you're not supposed to answer questions about Ethiopia, because it's pathetically easy for you, didn't we?

It's by definition not trivia for you.

No points for you!
JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Postby amehatrekkie » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:08 am

JM1776 wrote:And we established years ago that you're not supposed to answer questions about Ethiopia, because it's pathetically easy for you, didn't we?

No points for you!

i believe the rule established only applied to one quiz set specifically at that time, not any and all questions regarding the country.

in that case, that disqualifies me from any history, anthropology and graphic design based questions as well since those are my primary areas of of expertise.
amehatrekkie
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

Postby JM1776 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:44 pm

ambessalion wrote:
JM1776 wrote:And we established years ago that you're not supposed to answer questions about Ethiopia, because it's pathetically easy for you, didn't we?

No points for you!

i believe the rule established only applied to one quiz set specifically at that time, not any and all questions regarding the country.

in that case, that disqualifies me from any history, anthropology and graphic design based questions as well since those are my primary areas of of expertise.

Anyone with deep expertise in a particular area of study probably shouldn't be answering trivia questions, since for them it's not trivial, now is it? Defeats the purpose and leeches the fun right out of it.

You're perfectly welcome to answer other history questions, since I'm quite capable of stumping you (and have done so on innumerable occasions). But if you leap in and answer queries involving Ethiopia, when it's your home country, you effectively prevent me from asking any, since you're likely to answer them without effort. Just employ some discretion and let it go.

If you must continue this line of discussion, do it in PM.

We now return to the subject at hand.
JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Postby JM1776 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:22 pm

Next topic: Power of Three

1. [1 point] In Corinthians 13, St. Paul mentions the abiding qualities "faith, hope and love". What word often replaces "love" in certain translations?

2. [2 points] DC Comics considers what superheroes to comprise its "Trinity"?

3. [2 points] Name three cities that have served as the United States' capital.

4. [2 points] What kaiju team up to defeat the evil star dragon in Ghidrah, the Three-Headed Monster?

5. [3 points] What three men held permanent command of the USS Enterprise as its captain during Star Trek: The Next Generation's seven season run?

6. [3 points] After one of her selves died, this Legion of Super-Heroes member became known as Duo Damsel.

7. [4 points] Only three men have won more than 13 Grand Slam singles titles in tennis history. Name them.
JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Postby amehatrekkie » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:01 pm

2. [2 points] DC Comics considers what superheroes to comprise its "Trinity"?

Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman

3. [2 points] Name three cities that have served as the United States' capital.

New York City, Philadelphia and Washington DC

5. [3 points] What three men held permanent command of the USS Enterprise as its captain during Star Trek: The Next Generation's seven season run?

Jellico, Picard, Riker
amehatrekkie
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

Postby Quoshara » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:06 pm

JM1776 wrote:
1. [1 point] In Corinthians 13, St. Paul mentions the abiding qualities "faith, hope and love". What word often replaces "love" in certain translations?

Charity.

JM1776 wrote:6. [3 points] After one of her selves died, this Legion of Super-Heroes member became known as Duo Damsel..

Triplicate Girl (Man...that hit me right in the memory feels. *L* That was the first time I remember a hero EVER actually dying in a comic.)
*~Quo~*

Fic ahoy!

Well, damn....what should I write next? Hmmmmmmmm......
Quoshara
Klingon Admin
Klingon Admin

Next

Return to General Discussion