Eclipse

Discussion about pretty much anything - except politics and religion

Moderators: Michael, Quoshara

Forum rules
The General Discussion Forum is for topics that do not fall into categories covered by other forums. However, religion and politics are off limits. Also, flaming, trolling, and spam will not be allowed in General Discussion.

In Rest In Peace (RIP) threads, bashing on the recently deceased is not allowed.

Please note - Threads in the General Discussion forum auto prune after 260 days of inactivity.

Eclipse

Postby Jpatten » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:12 pm

Anyone have plans for viewing the ecplipse?
We are about an hour's drive from totality so I have taken the day off work, and we are pulling the kids fro school that day to drive up and see it. We are allotting between 3-4 hours for the traffic to make the drive up.
I hope it will be clear enough for observation.
I don't know half you half as well as I'd like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
--KN4BMP
Jpatten
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Eclipse

Postby jayphailey » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:39 pm

I will be at work. I think the weather in Spokane will be clear so direct observation will not be a thing.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Postby Michael » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:32 pm

I've got a pair of eclipse glasses, and will observe during breaks at work. We're supposed to have 90% of the Sun covered where I am.
-Michael Gray
"In Great Deeds Something Abides"
Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Postby stidham » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:44 am

My uncle owns a farm right along the path of totality. We're driving down there to view it.
~Dave

"We will find a way or make one."
stidham
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby An-Gel Sakura » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:53 am

We won't get total here, but we come close. :wink:
That which does not kill me ......BETTER RUN DAMN FAST !!! (\angel/)
An-Gel Sakura
Alpha Goth Chick From Hell Moderator
Alpha Goth Chick From Hell Moderator

Postby JM1776 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:39 pm

Total cloud coverage here. Bummer.
If you have money, 50 is the new 30. If you don't, it's the new 70.
JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Postby ambessalion » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:59 pm

hopefully i'll get to see it here......the eclipse in the 90s was partial coverage
Ahmie K-[ay][aka Adam Kriegel], Captain of the Department of Weird yea i'm weird
STPMA WORLDBUILDING EXPERT[ RIP MJ!!] Normal people scare meAging is inevitable, maturity is optional
https://imgur.com/a/bUvNm
ambessalion
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

Postby Jpatten » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:31 am

OK...
I think that has to be the Coolest and weirdest thing I have ever seen / experienced.
We hit the Road by 9AM to head for our viewing spot which is normally a little over an Hour's drive away but we wanted to have LOTS of time to be sure we would be there in case traffic was terrible. It actually wasn't bad at all. I think Everyone had basically gotten to their viewing spots over the weekend and didn't want to risk being stuck in traffic. So we got to the field we were going to watch from a little after 10:30 and setup the scopes, the canopies and the radio equipment and then just hung out and played games and ate food till the eclipse started. Then we looked through a Filtered telescope or the glasses watching as the sun slowly vanished behind the moon with no discernable change in light levels. Then about 30 minutes before totality a cloud rolled up over the sun and seemed to just sit there. It was expanding as it moved and the sun kept hovering at the edge of the cloud not quite visible except for occasional peeks. A few minutes before totality the light started going away. we noticed the streetlights come on and could start to hear insects as the last 2 minutes counted down. About 1 minute before the could parted enough to see the sun through an thinner break and then the sun vanished and the corona could be seen. There was not much detail since we were looking through clouds but it was incredible to see this black circle with a white halo around it. The temperature went down more than 10 degrees from the upper 80s to the 70s. I was alternating between looking and snapping pictures as fast as I could. Most of them did not come out at all because I wasn't paying attention to the camera. I was more interested in watching. Then the sun peeked back out and it quickly brightened up. THe clouds moved away and the sky cleared and it got warm again. As i was walking around I discovered that the grass was in shadow and had not been warming in the son for the morning dew had fallen. We stayed for a couple hours more as the eclipse finished but no one looked much and it was mostly time to eat and visit and let the kids play in the river.
Then we packed up and headed home. Unlike the drive up, the drive home took us over 3 hours because of the traffic of everyone trying to leave.
It was worth taking the day off of work and the kids out of school for.
I don't know half you half as well as I'd like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
--KN4BMP
Jpatten
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby jayphailey » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:25 pm

The light during an eclipse is unlike anything else.

My cat woke me up and I am glad for it.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Return to General Discussion