Free Software and other resources

Discussion about pretty much anything - except politics and religion

Moderators: Michael, Quoshara

Forum rules
The General Discussion Forum is for topics that do not fall into categories covered by other forums. However, religion and politics are off limits. Also, flaming, trolling, and spam will not be allowed in General Discussion.

In Rest In Peace (RIP) threads, bashing on the recently deceased is not allowed.

Please note - Threads in the General Discussion forum auto prune after 260 days of inactivity.
RIP
Klingon Moderator
Klingon Moderator

Free Software and other resources

Post by RIP » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:17 am

Following positive feedback from a previous post, I have decided to share with you my collection of open source software and other resources. Since I myself am not in posession of an Apple device, my library will focus on Windows systems. There will be a little Apple stuff in there though.

Ninite:
For starters, if you need to quickly set up your computer after a hard reset, you can use this site:
https://ninite.com/
Simply chose the software you want with a click and follow the instructions and within half an hour of drinking coffee your computer will be set up with the basics. It will download and install everything you have chosen for you.

Office surrogates:
Try libre office of open office. Their setup is very much like Microsoft Office and they will open and save various documents of various other similar software (Like Corel Word Perfect). In my experience libre office does a little better with documents and has a nice surface, open office does a little better with presentations. I have not yet used their Excel surrogates to a degree I feel capable of commenting. On nice feature both of the offer is to save directly to .pdf so you can send your document without fear of tampering or lack of compatibility.
https://libreoffice.org/
https://www.openoffice.org/

.pdf management:
Foxit reader offers the whole bundle of .pdf editing. Put in new text, save it in whatever format you want. Print or create new files.
https://www.openoffice.org/de/
Life is very similar to boxing. Defeat is not declared when you fall down. It's declared when you can no longer get up.

Some people just want to watch the world burn... not because of the pretty colors but because after the fire, there comes rejuvination.

RIP
Klingon Moderator
Klingon Moderator

Re: Free Software and other resources

Post by RIP » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:17 am

Photo manipulation:
Besides the very basic options of Microsoft Paint can be useful depending on what you want. The newer version of Paint 3D offers a bit more. However, if I want vector grafics of any kind, I will use libre office's "draw" instead. Better overview, better tools and much easier to correct mistakes.

GIMP:
Going up in complexity, I strongly suggest looking into GIMP 2. It offers most of the features older Photoshop version have/had. I have recently begun to use this to do work-related manipulation and found it to be absolutely adequate. It is not quite as comforteable as Photoshop though, with some functions hidden in clutzy menu items. For example, you need to actively tell the program to use transparency with the eraser. Also, its icons do not scale with screen resolution. My laptop has a resolution of 3200x1800 and I see jack shit with the original icons. I either have to scale down the resolution for the duration of working with this or download extra large icon packs.
https://www.gimp.org/

If you prefer Photoshop, about half a year ago I found an offer on Amazon that sold me a CS2 key for 20 Euros. I could download the software from Adobe and it ran with the key. With this however I strongly suggest to keep the bill in case someone accuses you of stealing software. Also, this progam (from 2005!) has the same issue with high resolution screens and tiny icons. I need to dial down my resolution for this one for sure.
Last edited by RIP on Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is very similar to boxing. Defeat is not declared when you fall down. It's declared when you can no longer get up.

Some people just want to watch the world burn... not because of the pretty colors but because after the fire, there comes rejuvination.

RIP
Klingon Moderator
Klingon Moderator

Post by RIP » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:34 am

Video editing:

For starters, the easiest way to get decent results is using Apple's iMovie app. Their trailer function is fantastic because it tells you just how long a scene you need where, adds text at the appropriate times and has its own music. However these trailers end up looking rather dull after having seen several of them.

Movie Maker:
This is also a very simple editing software you can obtain for free. I can't give you a link mostly because my google will only send me to German sites. Just google the name and/or "Windows Essentials". It will send you to download the Essentials package that comes with Movie Maker and some other stuff you really don't need and should not install.

Movie Maker offers simple drag & drop arrangement of clips and adding sounds to it. It is prone to codec problems and will often not allow you to seperate audio from video. If you are a raw diamond in the art of video editing, this is for you. Anyone who is even slightly advanced, it is at best a simple way to try out editing before going for the big guns.

Hitfilm Express 4:
Now we're talking. This is the software many creators of webseries use. It not only allows for different channels of audio and video, it has a wide array of effects and options. Which can be overwhelming. In addition its setup becomes rather inaccurate at times. For example, to use the green screen effect, you have little to no choice of finetuning it. That is why some webseries have a greenish frame around the person that stands before it. If you are advanced enough to not be happy with Movie Maker, this is for you. It opens enough options to be challenging and not too many to lose sight.
https://hitfilm.com/express

DaVinci Resolve:
Welcome to the big guns. This software will take a toll on your machine. It will confuse and challenge you. It will offer a level of precision and detail you will usually find in professional software. Seriously, I have a high-end gaming PC that runs high-end games without as much as a shrug but when I start editing with 10 channels or up, that PC starts begging for mercy. Rendering a finished product can take a while, depending on the number of channels, effects, cuts and resolution. Going HD with this baby is a challenge for most machines, but definately worth the effort. I wrote about a green frame type problem in the Hitfilm paragraph. This thing allows you to cut the frame pixel by pixel until you have the result you want. And then you can tell it to blur the sharp edges just enough to hide the green screen. Then you can start changing the colors of one channel just enough to blend it in with the background. Admittedly, I rarely use this one simply because I will sink many, many hours into a short clip because I want to get it juuuuuuuuuuust right.
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/de/pro ... ciresolve/

RIP
Klingon Moderator
Klingon Moderator

Post by RIP » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:42 am

Audio editing:

My weapon of choice is Audacity. Or rather, my weapon of convenience. It will offer a large selection of effects and different settings as well as options to save your file. Like most other audio software it relies mostly on shortcut keys to get the job done and is a little confusing. Personally I haven't done much editing of audio outside of video stuff so I'm pretty much pooped out on other options.
https://www.audacityteam.org/

If anyone happens to have better alternatives, I would be grateful for suggestions.

amehatrekkie
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

Post by amehatrekkie » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:13 pm

thanks
Ahmie K-[ay][aka Adam Kriegel], Captain of the Department of Weird yea i'm weird
STPMA WORLDBUILDING EXPERT[ RIP MJ!!] Normal people scare meAging is inevitable, maturity is optional
https://imgur.com/a/bUvNm

An-Gel Sakura
Alpha Goth Chick From Hell Moderator
Alpha Goth Chick From Hell Moderator

Post by An-Gel Sakura » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:44 am

Thanks for the help. :yhoo:
That which does not kill me ......BETTER RUN DAMN FAST !!! (\angel/)