Life can be weird

Discussion about pretty much anything - except politics and religion

Moderators: Michael, Quoshara

Forum rules
The General Discussion Forum is for topics that do not fall into categories covered by other forums. However, religion and politics are off limits. Also, flaming, trolling, and spam will not be allowed in General Discussion.

In Rest In Peace (RIP) threads, bashing on the recently deceased is not allowed.

Please note - Threads in the General Discussion forum auto prune after 260 days of inactivity.
RIP
Klingon Moderator
Klingon Moderator

Life can be weird

Post by RIP » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:09 am

Hi folks!

As I probably said before I have made some changes to my professional life. Going from the daily school grind to the beaurocratic side of the education system I have found myself having become a "Data Monkey" to a department of education, focussing on educating teachers in all matters digital media. I generally work with huge Excels filing people's work hours.

These guys want a better website with a professional look. For this, they are snapping fotos of everyone who works there as they come in.

So when I saw those pics I said something along the lines of "Gee they all have a different hue. Before uploading them make sure to adjust for that. Also, maybe add the company logo?"

I was looked at with a mixture of awe and complete lack of understanding. So I said how easy it was to adjust hue and add a logo. Or a unified background.

Long story short, I am currently being paid 25 bucks an hour for a mass project of cleaning up roughly 100 pics and giving them a unified look. Simple cutout, clean up the edges, copy/paste logo and background, slight adjustment of hue/saturation, removal of minor blemishes and conversion. And since the work PC I am using takes about 5 minutes to save a single file in GIMP I also get to surf a lot on my smartphone. Oh and the occaisional troubleshoot on one of their machines. You know, simple "let me google that for you" stuff. These folk really have no idea how to do anything on a PC. One came to me the other day complaining her Excel file wasn't opening. Yeah no shit Sherlock you're trying to open an .xlsx with Word... But no worries I get to explain that one about once a week.

Seriously, I never would have thought I would some day spend my time using the skills I honed out of boredom fiddling with Photoshop. This week I spent roughly 12 hours doing this work, plus another 6 troubleshooting. Seriously they gave me a mobile IT system worth 5 grand and told me to troubleshoot/update it from home (no wifi at the office). Just finished with it. Yeah turns out Word really only activates if you use the correct product key and type "VV" instead of "W"...

So, out goes a kind thank-you at this wonderful community for helping me hone those skills.
Life is very similar to boxing. Defeat is not declared when you fall down. It's declared when you can no longer get up.

Some people just want to watch the world burn... not because of the pretty colors but because after the fire, there comes rejuvination.

Quoshara
Klingon Admin
Klingon Admin

Re: Life can be weird

Post by Quoshara » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:41 pm

We are kind of awesome that way, aren't we? *bats eyes and grins*

Really, RIP, congrats! Always happy to see people making money with their creativity.
*~Quo~*

Fic ahoy!

Well, damn....what should I write next? Hmmmmmmmm......

Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Post by Michael » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:19 am

RIP wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:09 am
Seriously, I never would have thought I would some day spend my time using the skills I honed out of boredom fiddling with Photoshop. This week I spent roughly 12 hours doing this work, plus another 6 troubleshooting. Seriously they gave me a mobile IT system worth 5 grand and told me to troubleshoot/update it from home (no wifi at the office). Just finished with it. Yeah turns out Word really only activates if you use the correct product key and type "VV" instead of "W"...

So, out goes a kind thank-you at this wonderful community for helping me hone those skills.
Little do people know the role STPMA plays in making the world a better place. :mrgreen:

It's great you're able to put those skills to real life use, and get paid too.

Thank you for sharing this, RIP. It brightened my day. 8)
-Michael Gray
"In Great Deeds Something Abides"

Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Post by Michael » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:20 am

Quoshara wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:41 pm
We are kind of awesome that way, aren't we? *bats eyes and grins*
Damn straight! :D ;)
-Michael Gray