Has anyone done better?

Discussion about pretty much anything - except politics and religion

Moderators: Michael, Quoshara

Forum rules
The General Discussion Forum is for topics that do not fall into categories covered by other forums. However, religion and politics are off limits. Also, flaming, trolling, and spam will not be allowed in General Discussion.

In Rest In Peace (RIP) threads, bashing on the recently deceased is not allowed.

Please note - Threads in the General Discussion forum auto prune after 260 days of inactivity.
JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Has anyone done better?

Post by JM1776 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:19 pm

I have slowly become convinced that Rafael Nadal's twelve French Open titles in fourteen years is the single greatest achievement in sports history.

What would you say is comparable ... or even exceeds it?
"Won't you look down upon me, Jesus? You gotta to help me make a stand.
You've just got to see me through another day.
My body's achin' and my time is at hand.
I won't make it any other way."

Dancyer McCoy
--------Da Sib-------- Moderator
--------Da Sib-------- Moderator

Re: Has anyone done better?

Post by Dancyer McCoy » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:01 pm

If you're just talking tennis, Margaret Court's record is pretty impressive.
Dancyer
________

I live in my own little world, but it's OK ... they know me here.

“Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.” Albert Einstein

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” - Dr. Seuss

Festina Lente

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Re: Has anyone done better?

Post by JM1776 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:40 am

Largely agree, Dance. Margaret Court is the greatest female tennis player of all time. I say that despite its political incorrectness because of her stance on homosexuality, which has made her a pariah in a notably liberal tennis (and modern) world. (Note that I am not discussing that subject, just pointing out why she's not in vogue as the GOAT.)

She's forgotten, in many ways, in some measure because Bobby Riggs beat her in the first Battle of the Sexes, while Billie Jean handled him in straights. Court really didn't think it was a big deal, and didn't take it as seriously as King did.

I'm one of the few who thinks that, with modern training, equipment and sports psychology, Court beats Serena Williams on grass and clay more often than not. She was, according to the male Aussie players of her time, preposterously athletic, to the point where she made them feel poorly conditioned.

That said ...

... Court won many of her Australian Open women's singles titles when the world's best did not play the tournament regularly, and it was far less the Australian Open we've come to know and far more the Australian national championships, guest-starring an occasional visitor from somewhere else in the world. This trend continued into the 90's.

In addition, she won most of her Slams before the Open era began.

But Rafa ...

... Rafa has won his Slams in the era of Federer and Djokovic, who together with him are three of the five greatest-ever men's singles players. They each have one. He has a dozen.

It's the most difficult Slam to win, because it requires tremendous conditioning, determination, point-construction and a higher tennis IQ than the faster surfaces.

So ... I'll have to still give the edge to Nadal insofar as extraordinary single achievement in sports.

Love me some Margaret Court, though! :mrgreen:

Er ... you know what I mean. :oops:
"Won't you look down upon me, Jesus? You gotta to help me make a stand.
You've just got to see me through another day.
My body's achin' and my time is at hand.
I won't make it any other way."