(Major Spoilers) The Smartest Move in any Star Wars Movie

Discussion about pretty much anything - except politics and religion

Moderators: Michael, Quoshara

Forum rules
The General Discussion Forum is for topics that do not fall into categories covered by other forums. However, religion and politics are off limits. Also, flaming, trolling, and spam will not be allowed in General Discussion.

In Rest In Peace (RIP) threads, bashing on the recently deceased is not allowed.

Please note - Threads in the General Discussion forum auto prune after 260 days of inactivity.
jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

(Major Spoilers) The Smartest Move in any Star Wars Movie

Post by jayphailey » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:59 am

Spoiler, major

I am going to summarize strongly here because fundamentally the set up is dumb.

What with one thing and another, the Emperor is back and has an insanely large fleet of Star Destroyers, called the Final Order, at secret sith planet. Enough for Star Destroyers to blanket the sky from Horizon to Horizon.

Each of these new star destroyers has an axial cannon that can one-shot a planet.

At the end of a countdown, the insane fleet of Star Destroyers will lift off from Secret Sith Planet and spread out to wreak havoc on the galaxy. No one has the fleet to defend against this many Star Destroyers.

BUT

While lifting off from Secret Sith Planet, they are vulnerable. They can't raise their shields in the atmosphere of the planet, and the planet is so hostile, it screws over their sensors. The Insane fleet of Star Destroyers will be vulnerable while they follow a beacon to orbit and then get their shit together.

Po Dameron, the acting head of the resistance knows, even so, that's way too many star destroyers. The motley and ragtag resistance fleet could never blow up enough Star Destroyers to swing the battle.

But he also knows - the resistance isn't alone, no one is looking forward to Galactic Empire Part Two, Electric Boogaloo.

So he sends Lando out to invite everyone to the ambush.

In the movie this is framed as "The Magic power of friendship and longing for Freedom will save us"

But you know what Lando Calrissian said.

(Monster Truck Rally Announcers Voice)

"Now hear this, now this! All hands, all hands!

Announcing the Final Order Turkey Shoot.

Follow These directions and this map to catch the Final Order with their pants ALL. THE. WAY. DOWN.

An ocean of Space Nazis has volunteered for an ORGY OF VIOLENCE.

Kill. Murder. Destroy. Pillage. Burn. Loot.

And no one will ever say anything! A Consequence-Free Orgy of Space Violence!

We can't promise there will be a prize for most Star Destroyers downed, but we can't promise there WON'T be.

This is your last chance! Are you motivated by greed, blood lust, psychosis or a good old fashioned desire to stay free of space nazis? NO ONE CARES!

Come get some at the Secret Sith Planet, Today!!

Limited time only, offer void where prohibited by Imperial Decree.

-*-

And sure enough

-*-

It's framed as "The magic power of friendship and hope saved us."

I was saying "Yeah. The Star Wars Galaxy has no gun control. There's not much stopping every wannabe ever from building his own Millenium Falcon.

If every lunatic with a hot ship, a fast blaster and a problem with authority showed up, what could really stop them?"

The responding gang-bang fleet is fairly generic CGI

But you know what every fanboy (Even me) saw. Every Star Wars PC from every Era Ever. Every Star Wars Fanfic OC character from every Era Ever.

It was a total invitation to write yourself into the story there.

As I was saying the film is frantic, fast and dumb.

But "Let's invite all the crazies to come play along." Is the smartest move I have ever seen in a Star Wars Movie.

I will stand by that.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Re: (Major Spoilers) The Smartest Move in any Star Wars Movie

Post by jayphailey » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:07 am

One downside of this film is that it has utterly destroyed Star Wars as an RPG setting for me.

Not only were Rey and Kylo so ridiculously overpowered, that no one could ever be happy playing a game balanced Jedi again, but it established very clearly - if your character isn't part of a special bloodline, they're doomed to being also-rans

I just can't figure out how to rescue a Star Wars RPG from the effects of this movie.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Post by Michael » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:26 am

jayphailey wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:07 am
Not only were Rey and Kylo so ridiculously overpowered, that no one could ever be happy playing a game balanced Jedi again, but it established very clearly - if your character isn't part of a special bloodline, they're doomed to being also-rans
The revenge of the midichlorians. :bleek: :D
-Michael Gray
"In Great Deeds Something Abides"

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Post by jayphailey » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:00 pm

JJAbrams doesn't care if he leaves a gamable world behind him. That's safe to say

lafr
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lafr » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:02 am

And why should he care?

"Oh, there are babies who would be upset if I did anything that would upset their puny little brains. I had better watch myself." JJA

Yeah right. It's a movie. If someone wants to play a variation of it, do it or do not. There is no tr..... you get the idea.

Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Post by Michael » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:51 am

jayphailey wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:00 pm
JJAbrams doesn't care if he leaves a gamable world behind him. That's safe to say
-and-
lafr wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:02 am
And why should he care?
At first glance, I would agree-- let the person telling the story tell it how they want.

But... he should care if Disney wants to do anything more with Star Wars.
Spoiler:
Abrams included two things in this film which make it extremely difficult to do anything more with Star Wars.

First, as Jay points out, he gave both Rey and Kylo Ren extraordinary force powers based on their ancestry. For any future SW films (or shows, comics, games etc.) no matter who else is a force user, all you need is someone who comes from some insanely powerful family to show up and wipe the floor with everyone else. There will be that temptation to go through this again, and again... and again.

Second, you no longer need a Death Star or a Star Killer base to blow up planets. You just get one of those Star Destroyer canons and you can wipe out as many planets as you want. So we are certain to have at some point, someone in the SW universe collect several of these ship based canons and threaten the galaxy again, and again, and again.

The problem with any universe when you introduce something which is super powerful, you ruin anyone telling future stories without dealing with the super powerful thing. But Abrams has introduced two things which fit this level of power within the Star Wars universe. Whether it's someone playing a game (something Disney will want to make money on) or TV shows, or movies, or novels, the author will have to explain why they aren't using one of those two things, just like they had to hand wave why they didn't do the Holdo maneuver in this film when confronted with the Palpatine fleet.

Introducing extremely powerful tech or magic into a universe makes further storytelling in that universe forced to have to deal with those extremes either by using them or explaining away why they aren't being used. And Abrams gave us two more to add to the one from The Last Jedi.

And for Disney which wants to continue making money off this property, that's why, in my opinion, Abrams should have cared.
-Michael Gray
"In Great Deeds Something Abides"

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Post by jayphailey » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:28 pm

Michael wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:51 am
And for Disney which wants to continue making money off this property, that's why, in my opinion, Abrams should have cared. [/spoiler]
Agreed

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:03 am

This makes me glad I didn't go see it.

It also confirms Abrams as a hack writ (and writing) large.

I couldn't, in the past, ever imagine having a total lack of concern for Star Wars, and a relative lack of one for Star Trek.

But it's happened.
"The Chargers previously said Taylor suffered complications from an injection."

Their team doctor punctured his lung while administering a pain reliever, so ... technically, that's true, right?

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Post by jayphailey » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:13 pm

Star Trek Discovery was actually pretty well done, this season.

It had a lot of things I liked in it.

Apparently The Mandalorian is considered the most successful of all of them at this time.

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:45 pm

I had fewer major issues with Season Two of Star Trek: Discovery than I did Season One, and found it enjoyable for the most part, though I continue to dislike Burnham pretty intensely.

Their team doctor punctured his lung while administering a pain reliever, so ... technically, that's true, right?

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Post by jayphailey » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:34 pm

JM1776 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:45 pm
I had fewer major issues with Season Two of Star Trek: Discovery than I did Season One, and found it enjoyable for the most part, though I continue to dislike Burnham pretty intensely.
Shocked! Shocked and Surprised!

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:25 am

jayphailey wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:34 pm
What does that mean? Are you agreeing that she's not particularly likable?

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Post by jayphailey » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:23 pm

JM1776 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:25 am
jayphailey wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:34 pm
What does that mean? Are you agreeing that she's not particularly likable?
I think I have read your commentary on Burnham previously, haven't i?

sirus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by sirus » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:57 pm

So, you think the scene is smart because you added a scene in your head that makes the scene smart?

Don't do thew writing for the writer. If it's dumb on screen and you need to figure out why it's not, it's just dumb. Honsetly your added scene makes it so much better and adds more Lando, but it's not in the movie and I won't judge the movie by a scene not in it.
From ignorance lead me to truth
From darkness lead me to light
From death lead me to immortality

ryjuda.deviantart.com

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Post by jayphailey » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:23 pm

sirus wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:57 pm
So, you think the scene is smart because you added a scene in your head that makes the scene smart?

Don't do thew writing for the writer. If it's dumb on screen and you need to figure out why it's not, it's just dumb. Honsetly your added scene makes it so much better and adds more Lando, but it's not in the movie and I won't judge the movie by a scene not in it.
Okay. Interesting point. The problem is, when I watch a thing, I always bring Jay with me!