Star Trek Online

For discussion, images, etc., of the Star Trek Online RPG.

Moderator: jayphailey

Postby GalileoAce » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:25 am

JMaxwell wrote:
ambessalion wrote:
i've seen them use historical persons, events, locations, concepts (such as enterprise, defiant, freedom, etc) but not a direct literary reference.....

for a shuttlecraft or a cargo ship, etc, etc makes sense....but not for a full starship....

just doesn't make sense to me....

...so...you've never heard of the USS Excalibur(Arthurian Legend), or the USS Ajax(The Illiad), or the USS Odyssey(from..The Odyssey), or the USS Ulysses(i.e. James Joyce, since it's not named the Ulysses S. Grant)...All of these ARE Canon.

And don't forget the USS Thunderchild.
GalileoAce
Ensign
Ensign

Postby JM1776 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:10 pm

JMaxwell wrote:Sadly, I've seen a USS Asmodeus or two flying around.

On further reflection, this doesn't surprise me.

...USS Ulysses (i.e. James Joyce...)...

Wonder if it's named for Joyce's novel or the Romanized Odysseus.
Spare me the PC BS: It will always be, to many, the Red River Shootout. Red River Rivalry never worked.

Red River Showdown, though, I can live with.
JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Postby JaceRidley » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:07 pm

JM1776 wrote:
...USS Ulysses (i.e. James Joyce...)...

Wonder if it's named for Joyce's novel or the Romanized Odysseus.

You know, that's a very good point...I never really thought much of it. Always just assumed it was for the Joyce novel.

That's magic in a cheetah print coat, Just a slip underneath it I hope
Asking if I can have one of those, Organic cigarettes that she smokes
Wraps her lips round the Mexican coke, Makes you wish that you were the bottle
Takes a sip of your soul and it sounds like…

JaceRidley
-The Captain-
-The Captain-

Postby ambessalion » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:51 pm

i named my class Stargazer but considering i named my particular ship after an explorer, i'm thinking of revising the class name to the Polo-class or Columbus- class or something....since they usually a theme....for example the Luna-class in Star Trek Titans are all named for this solar system's moons.....or the runabouts which are named for Earth rivers....

just wondering....did anyone else design their own ship class? (i'll just set up a new thread so answer there please as to not highjack this thread)
http://stpma.net/viewtopic.php?p=91611#91611
Ahmie K-[ay][aka Adam Kriegel], Captain of the Department of Weird yea i'm weird
STPMA WORLDBUILDING EXPERT[ RIP MJ!!] Normal people scare meAging is inevitable, maturity is optional
https://imgur.com/a/bUvNm
ambessalion
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

Postby JaceRidley » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:13 pm

There already IS a Stargazer-class Heavy Cruiser in the game, just so you know...

It's a 4-nacelled thing of beauty.

JaceRidley
-The Captain-
-The Captain-

Postby ambessalion » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:32 pm

JMaxwell wrote:There already IS a Stargazer-class Heavy Cruiser in the game, just so you know...

It's a 4-nacelled thing of beauty.

that's cool....well, i changed it officially to Columbus-class today
Ahmie K-[ay][aka Adam Kriegel], Captain of the Department of Weird yea i'm weird
STPMA WORLDBUILDING EXPERT[ RIP MJ!!] Normal people scare meAging is inevitable, maturity is optional
https://imgur.com/a/bUvNm
ambessalion
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

Postby jayphailey » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:49 pm

JMaxwell wrote:Hit Lt.Cmdr. 6 tonight...also my crew is full for the moment. It's kinda neat. I can't wait for them to introduce the Respec option so I can fix the way I built Gideon, now that I understand the skills more.

What rank are you currently?

I want to rename "Race Bannon"

It was funnny at the time, but I find I don't have enough of a mental "Guy" there to role play him. No feel for him.

Not that this really matters, I don't think.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Postby JaceRidley » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:56 pm

jayphailey wrote:What rank are you currently?

I want to rename "Race Bannon"

It was funnny at the time, but I find I don't have enough of a mental "Guy" there to role play him. No feel for him.

Not that this really matters, I don't think.

Due to work and projects I've had to complete this week, I've not played in several days but when I last logged out I was Commander 3 I believe.

JaceRidley
-The Captain-
-The Captain-

Postby jayphailey » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:36 pm

JM1776 wrote:
JMaxwell wrote:Sadly, I've seen a USS Asmodeus or two flying around.

On further reflection, this doesn't surprise me.

I have seen a "USS Bong Hit".

This seems to be a pretty common thing around MMORPGS - people who dim-wittedly savage the fourth wall because they think it's funny. More numerous are the clulessly "Darker and Edgier. Ignoring this and looking past them is a skill I am developing.

there are three places I find to be large scale surveys of general creativity -

A) Down at the Marina, the names people give boats.

B) Names of bands.

C) Names of characters in MMORPGs.

Sadly it seems most folks are not that creative - and I must include myself in that description.

"Race Bannon" as one example.

My ships have been named USS Harrier II, but that was hard to resist (That was in the open beta)

then the USS Scorpion, referencing the United States nuclear submarine lost in 1968, and USS Nautilus, referencing Verne and subsequent US submarines

I suppose I could name one USS SeaQuest, but that would be funny for about as a long as Race Bannon turned out to be.

It can seem difficult to come up with an original, yet appropriate Starfleet Starship name.

Actually Garry STahl came up with a really good one -

-*-

http://tinyurl.com/yf5kqqo

Savensu T'ness -- Teacher T'ness: A Vulcan woman in the post Surakian era's explosion in culture and arts (war being a thing of the past). T'ness was responsible for the logical realignment of the Vulcan arts and sciences into their current forms and the founding of the school that would later be the Vulcan Science Academy

-*-

Okay, for me this is sort of off base in terms of Vulcan History - I thought the Vulcan Science Academy predated Surak. Also one woman reorgs ALL of Vulcan arts and sciences?

But as an Influential arts-philosopher who explores how to apply Surakian logic to arts, Yeah, I can buy her.

And this offers a clue - In regards to other Federation worlds, we can make up people, events and things that represent good stuff worth naming a Starship after.

Even so, that takes thinking about Trek in a sort of deep and detailed RPG/Fanfic world building mode, which is rare. Most folks don't have fun wworking that hard at it.

There doesn't seem to be a repeat name lock out, so I figure I will look right through entire fleets worth of "USS Dark an Scary" clones.

That's okay. If I can findd the right group to play with, seems like I'll be having fun with it for a while.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Postby JaceRidley » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:09 pm

I don't really find it so difficult to pick names. In fact, I have a LIST of names I intend to use for the characters I plan to create and which ships they'll be for already. lol

Given the fact that Gideon is my main character, in the end, I expect I'll end up with at least 1 of every tier and division, plus the ones I already have. That's a lot of bloody ships.

JaceRidley
-The Captain-
-The Captain-

Postby victorgarcia » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:33 pm

I'm also playing Trek Online.

Currently Commander 1

Kinda pissed with the Crystaline Entity mission. Thinking of starting my own fleet.
Victor

http://www.startrek.thenewfrontiers.net/
victorgarcia
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Postby JaceRidley » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:18 pm

victorgarcia wrote:Kinda pissed with the Crystaline Entity Mission

Umm..why?

JaceRidley
-The Captain-
-The Captain-

Postby victorgarcia » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:20 pm

everytime we have it at around 20% people come in and start shooting the shards which cause it to regenerate. No matter how many times we tell them not to shoot the blasted things.
Victor

victorgarcia
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Postby JaceRidley » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:37 pm

victorgarcia wrote:everytime we have it at around 20% people come in and start shooting the shards which cause it to regenerate. No matter how many times we tell them not to shoot the blasted things.

Sometimes you HAVE to shoot the shards before they hit you and kill you in one shot. You just need to have decent enough players. The battle takes about 15-20 minutes even with organized groups.

JaceRidley
-The Captain-
-The Captain-

Postby victorgarcia » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:41 pm

JMaxwell wrote:
victorgarcia wrote:everytime we have it at around 20% people come in and start shooting the shards which cause it to regenerate. No matter how many times we tell them not to shoot the blasted things.

Sometimes you HAVE to shoot the shards before they hit you and kill you in one shot. You just need to have decent enough players. The battle takes about 15-20 minutes even with organized groups.

Well i hope to eventually get it done.
Victor

victorgarcia
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

PreviousNext

Return to Star Trek Online