Star Trek - Citadel - 'Hope's Return'

A place to post ideas, casting, ships, images, and stories for the ST: CITADEL shared-universe.

Moderator: Michael

Forum rules
For discussion of ideas, casting, ships, images, and stories of the ST: CITADEL shared-universe. Please observe all requests by thread originators concerning the level of feedback/critique they seek. (11/15/16 - I have received a request to lock this subforum. If there is a desire to unlock it again, please contact me by PM. Thanks. - Michael)
captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Star Trek - Citadel - 'Hope's Return'

Post by captainuniverse » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:54 pm

Before I post this, I want to apologize for the lack of a title. I haven't given that part of this story much thought yet. Sorry about that.

Now begins.... Star Trek: Espero - 'Hope's Return'

The loading of the supplies seemed to take forever as Anax watched them being beamed aboard the Espero. The little Defiant class ship had finished with her repairs and she was preparing to leave Starbase 128. The Edoan senior chief petty officer was a new addition to the crew and he had big shoes to fill as the ship’s tactical officer.

Behind him, the doors to the cargo bay opened and closed. Turning around, he didn’t see anyone there until he looked down and saw a green-skinned woman with short blonde hair and large ears. She walked up to the console that the Edoan stood behind, looking at the cargo containers before looking at him.

“Loading the cargo, finished soon, will it be?,” the Horrusi asked him with a serious look on her face.

Looking at the padd in the hand of his middle arm, Anax consulted it before answering. Along with the regular supplies that were needed to run the ship, they would also be carrying along additional supplies for FOB Gwalior in the Intar System.

He nodded his orange-skinned head at her. “We should be done with this in another hour or so, ma’am.”

“Good. Soon under way, we will be.” This was their first meeting since he had reported aboard to Lieutenant Andrew Mundi, the ship’s first officer, seven days ago. “Out in space, prefer it, I do.”

“I never much liked spending time around starbases myself. Give me a working replicator and the open road,” he agreed with her. “Life couldn’t get any better than that.”

“Stranded, for six days, in an escape pod, you could be.”

The commander became quiet after saying that. The Edoan SCPO was definitely a man after her own hearts. She had entered Starfleet, thirty years ago as an enlisted person because she had a destiny to explore the galaxy like the Humans did. She had only been recently promoted to Ensign when war had broken out between the Federation and the Dominion. Later on, her ship, the Athabaskan had been lost at Tyra.

“Ma’am?”

“Never mind. Carry on, you should, Senior Chief,” she said before she turned back towards the door and gave him a final look. “When convenient for you, for dinner, join Mr. Mundi and I.”

“Dinner… uh…”

”At ease, put yourself. Once a week, all of the officers, dine together, we do,” she assured him. “Tonight, 1800 hours, in the mess hall?”

“Uh, yes, yes, ma’am,” Anax said, surprised by her invitation.

----

“So, have you met the new guy yet, Skipper?,” Lieutenant Mundi asked his captain when he crossed over from an adjacent corridor, walking towards her. He was tall with short brown hair.

“Left the cargo bay, I just did.”

“Did you invite him to dinner?”

“Surprised, you are?”

“Not really. Captain Derajan used to do that,” he said, remaindering her of their previous captain. Before she had assumed command of the Espero, they had been serving together aboard the U.S.S. Hindustan after the Athabaskan’s destruction at Tyra. Despite that tragedy, they have been good friends for the last six years. In fact, Ikar had been taking her officer training courses at Starfleet Academy to qualify for a promotion to the officer ranks when they met. He had been a senior cadet that she had easily taken under her wing.

“A bad model, he wasn’t.”

“Bridge to the Captain,” the voice of Ensign Meir came over the intercom. Like many members of the crew, the Trill was a new addition who was also a recent graduate of the Academy on her first assignment.

“Ikar, this is.”

“Ma’am, Admiral Mecum is asking to speak with you.”

“In my ready room, take it, I will.”

Mundi raised an eyebrow as she tapped her combadge again to end the connection with the bridge. “What do you think he might have in store for us?”

“Knowing admirals as I do … trouble.”

----

The transporter beam dissipated around Ensigns Derrick Lake and Kor lasch Grev after they beamed aboard the Espero. As small as she looked like on the outside, the Defiant class ship looked bigger on the inside to Lake. This was his first time aboard and he looked around the tiny transporter bay to see a tall, brown-haired man at the transporter controls.

“Welcome aboard the Espero,” the man said with lieutenant’s pips on his red collar when he stepped away from the controls “I’m Lieutenant Mundi, your first officer.”

“Ensign Derrick Lake, reporting for duty, sir,” Lake spit out, jumping to attention.

The Tellarite beside him frowned deeply and sniffed the air around him. “This ship smells worse that a garbage scow!,” he shouted, snarling at his superior.

“This ship probably smells better than your last mud bath, Mr. Grev.”

Grev stepped down from the transporter pad and glared at the lieutenant. “You look like partially-digested gagh served with a side order of Denebian shell mouth, puked up on an Orion slave girl.”

“Why, thank you,” Mundi said, gushing from the compliment. He looked down at his uniform, straightening his sleeves. “You sure know how to make a guy blush, Ensign.”

Grev growled before saying,” Permission to come aboard?”

“Granted. Welcome aboard, Mr. Grev.”

“It’ll only be a pleasure to be aboard once I check out the controls.”

“The controls?,” asked Lake.

“The controls, the helm, you noodleknocker!,” Grev shouted at him. “I’m a pilot!”

“You’ll report to Lieutenant M’Reeta for your bunk assignments and you report for duty at 1800 hours, gentlemen,” Mundi said, holding out two padds that he took off of the console next to him. “Here’s the duty roster, a map of the ship, and any other information that you’ll need.”

“Where’s the medical bay?,” Lake asked after Grev left him alone in the transporter room with the lieutenant.

“I’ll show you,” Mundi said, leading him out of the room.

tbc
Last edited by captainuniverse on Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"All of Time and Space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?"

"Geronimo!"

Thanks to FltCpt. Bossco for my Tattok avatar. This is Tattok when he assumed the position of Commander-in-Chief, Starfleet in the year 2411.

AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché
Location: Aboard USS Marshal Martz, NCC-78506 (though physically in Jamestown, NY)

Re: Star Trek - Espero

Post by AdmiralSirJohn » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:48 pm

Is this an Espero continuity story, or a Citadel story?
(Yes, the image is me, but the photomanip wasn't done by me.)

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by captainuniverse » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:49 pm

For the first story, probably a little of both. I don't know yet.
"All of Time and Space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?"

"Geronimo!"

Thanks to FltCpt. Bossco for my Tattok avatar. This is Tattok when he assumed the position of Commander-in-Chief, Starfleet in the year 2411.

AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché
Location: Aboard USS Marshal Martz, NCC-78506 (though physically in Jamestown, NY)

Post by AdmiralSirJohn » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:56 pm

Okay. How about "Hope's Return" (Espero is Spanish/Portuguese/Esperanto for Hope).

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by captainuniverse » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:19 pm

Works for me. Thank you, John. I already made the change. :/

"Geronimo!"

JaceRidley
-The Captain-
-The Captain-

Post by JaceRidley » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:33 pm

Language is a bit rough, but not bad! Seems fairly interesting. :) Keep on flyin'...

That's magic in a cheetah print coat, Just a slip underneath it I hope
Asking if I can have one of those, Organic cigarettes that she smokes
Wraps her lips round the Mexican coke, Makes you wish that you were the bottle
Takes a sip of your soul and it sounds like…

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by captainuniverse » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:11 pm

Lieutenant Commander Ikar walked into her ready room and was surprised by the bouquet of red rose sitting on her desk. Smelling the sweet essence of the decapitated plant life, she looked for a card and didn’t find one. The gesture in itself was sweet but it was also a mystery. The rose bouquets had started showing up on her desk since their arrival at Starbase 128. At first, she thought that they were from an Espero crewmember or a member of the starbase crew but she thought that to be impossible. There weren’t too many species in the known galaxy that were capable of mating with a Horrusi.

The Espero’s captain also didn’t think that it could be a member of her own races because of three reasons. One, she hadn’t been back home since she left to enlist in Starfleet. The second reason was because there were only a number of twenty or so Horrusi in Starfleet. And the third reason was that she didn’t really know any of them.

‘A mystery wrapped in a conundrum, it is,’ she thought to herself before she sat down behind her desk. The Horrusi woman put her personal thoughts aside for the moment and turned on her monitor. Admiral Thomas Mecum appeared on the screen, a second after the Federation logo appeared and disappeared.

“Commander Ikar, how’s the Espero?”

“As well as can be. Proceeding on schedule, we are, Admiral. At 0700 hours tomorrow, depart, we will,” she said, picking up a padd from her desk.

“Good. All you have to do is deliver your supplies to Intar and await instructions for your next assignment. Of course, you’ll remember to keep an eye out for any Tzenkethi ships.”

“Understand your concerns, I do. Close, the Tzenkethi border, it is.” Ikar nodded with understanding. “Unsurprising, it would be, to engage them again. Stopped them once at Intar, we did. Stop them again, we can.”

“If that situation comes up, Starfleet’s looking into assigning more ships to the system. According to Captain Th’Nar, everything’s been quiet.”

“More to this, is there, Admiral?”

Mecum hesitated for a moment. “Nothing that I can think of for now, Ikar.”

“Then nothing more to say, there is.”

“Good luck and have a good journey. Mecum out.”

The admiral’s image disappeared and Ikar rubbed her chin in thought. “Damn,” she breathed before she smacked the padd down hard on the face of her desk. The concussion of her anger shook the desktop and sent the vase of roses crashing down to the floor below.

----

“Doctor, I have a patient for you,” Mundi said, addressing the Vulcan at the far side of the medical bay. He had been inventorying medical supplies with one of the other medics when the lieutenant and Ensign Lake walked in.

Looking up from his padd, Sovek stepped over towards them. “You are Lieutenant Lake?”

“It’s actually ‘Ensign’ now, Doctor… ?”

“I am Sovek.”

The Espero’s chief medical officer had once been a civilian physician and he had served aboard a Starfleet medical ship, the Samaritan during the war. After his son had been killed on MN-1274 by the Jem’Hadar, the Vulcan had accepted an honorary lieutenant’s commission in Starfleet and soon after, he had been transferred to the Espero.

“This is the guy that I talked to you about yesterday,” the First Officer said, looking over his shoulder at Lake. “This is the guy who – “

“I am aware of Ensign Lake’s history, Mr. Mundi, as I have taken the time to review his records before his arrival,” Sovek said and Mundi frowned at the Vulcan’s arrogant tone. They had served together for close to three years now and they was still an ounce of animosity between them. The doctor could not theorize who he displayed some behavior towards him and he suspected that there was some inkling of a past event in his life that drove the cause of his … emotionalism.

“Then see to his needs, Doctor,” Mundi said, leaving to return to his duties.

Seeing the First Officer leave, the operations officer was nervous. It wasn’t often that he shared his personal problem with anyone. However with this particular problem, it required the services of a qualified physician. The man with the pointed eyes switched padds with the stack on a nearby table.

“So, I guess you’re familiar with my medical history?,” Lake asked him.

“According to your records, you were left Starfleet in 2372 and became a member of the Maquis. Before they were disbanded by the Jem’Hadar, you were on a mission to destroy a Cardassian biogenic weapons facility.”

“That sounds about right.”

“The circumstances of the situation were disastrous and you were accidentally exposed to a genetically-modified strain of the Dystrum-B virus,” the Vulcan said, continuing his recitation. He looked up from his padd with a raised eyebrow. “I believe that your last physician was treating your condition with a prescription of hallitene and improvaline?”

“You would be correct, Doctor. According to Starfleet Medical, exposure to the virus will take twenty years before I lose complete autonomic control over my body. I won’t be able to move, to speak, or to do much less anything else except be a brain stuck in a shell.”

“As this malady has no cure yet, why have you come to me, Ensign?”

“You’ve heard of rosinstalis, right?”

“I have,” the doctor said, returning his padd to the table. He recalled reading about the research of Doctor Beverly Crusher who had done some research on the Dystrum-B virus. She hypothesized that this drug could remedy the effects that every strain of the virus had on most humanoids during the progression of the disease and make them capable members of society.

“Then you understand what I’m asking for.”

“If I would Human, I would be flattered as such a request. However, as a Vulcan and as a practicing medical physician, I am obliged to deny you such treatment. Rosinstalis has not been cleared for release by Starfleet Medical because of the possible side effects of the drug.”

“I’ve taken it before, Doctor, when I was aboard the Celestris during the war. The whole time, I was under a doctor’s care and –“

“And you believed that with your transfer to this ship, I would be sympathetic enough to give you what you required for your condition?”

“I came to you for help because I want to continue being useful, not spend the rest of my life in a hospital!,” the ensign shouted before he remembered himself. Holding up a hand, he spoke in a gentler tone of voice. “Look, Doctor, I’m not an addict. So if you have to, report me to Starfleet Medical.”

Sovek released a deep breath and considered the younger man’s words. After taking the Hippocratic Oath to ‘do no harm’, he had been a physician for over seventy years. A request for medical intervention couldn’t be ignored, no matter the circumstances.

“I can synthesize the drug,” he said in agreement. “However, I shall only prescribe the drug to you when you absolutely need it. I shall also be closely monitoring your condition. There may be a possibility that I may be able to devise a cure or an antidote.”

“Sounds like a plan, Doctor.”

----

“Good morning, Skipper,” Mundi said, greeting her, the next morning as she walked onto the bridge. He was standing beside Senior Chief Anax at the tactical console. “Did you sleep well, last night?”

“Started ‘The Compass Rose’, I did,” the blonde Horrusi said, referring to a piece of 21st century fantasy fiction written by Gail Dayton. Since their time at the Academy, both officers had enjoyed a shared interest in the genre.

“Good book?”

“So far, good, it is.” Moving to the center of the bridge, the green-skinned captain looked around. “Ready to get underway, we are, Mr. Mundi?”

“As far as I know, Skipper. All personnel are aboard and all systems are online.”

Ikar nodded at him. “Mr. Lake,” she said, looking at the young officer sitting at one of the port consoles,” clear all moorings.”

“Aye, ma’am.”

“Port and starboard thrusters are at station-keeping, Captain,” Ensign Grev announced from the helm, anticipating Ikar’s next command.

“Lake,” Mundi said,” request departure clearance from Operations.”

“Aye, sir,” the operations officer acknowledged, typing commands into his panel. He shared the same enthusiasm that the other members of the crew had for getting underway and back out into space.

“Ikar to Engineering.”

“Engineering, Nayce here,” the Espero’s Haliian engineer responded over the intercom. “Everything’s shipshape down here, Skipper.”

“Incredible,” Mundi said, walking over to stand by Ikar’s chair. “She said that it would take us six months to get the ship up and running again. And then she gets us operational again in only two months.”

“The whip, crack it, did you, Andrew?” Ikar shared her first officer’s grin before his gaze moved to observe the crew at work.

“Tarahni’s from the Scott School of Engineering. They love to set their repair estimates by a factor of two. Of course, she had some help from 128’s engineers.”

“I have Operations on audio, Captain,” Lake reported from ops.

“Starbase Operations, the Espero, this is. Request departure clearance, we do,” the Espero’s commander said, leaning back into her seat. She liked this chair since it was the most comfortable seat on the ship.

“Espero, this is Starbase 128 Operations,” a disembodied voice announced over the intercom. “You are cleared for departure. Please follow course nine-seven-three, mark two-one until you reach the outer markers.”

“Acknowledged, it is. Espero out.” The Horrusi woman looked ahead of her at the Tellarite at the helm. “Plot course and proceed, you shall, Mr. Grev. Maximum impulse.”

“I do know how to drive,” the Tellarite responded, sarcastically.

“Excuse me, Ensign?,” Mundi shot back at him as he turned to face him.

“Yes, ma’am. Course and speed set.”

“Engage.”

The End.

"Geronimo!"

AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by AdmiralSirJohn » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:22 pm

I like it. Needs a little polish, but it's a good opener for the series.

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by captainuniverse » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:52 pm

Yeah, I kinda was having problems with it. I wasn't sure if I should send them on a mission after leaving delivering the shuttles or anything else. I even entertained the idea at one point of finally introducing the Ernst Ruska but I'm still working out the kinks for that crew.

Anyways, if anyone has any suggestions, PM me, please. Thank you.

"Geronimo!"

AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by AdmiralSirJohn » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:43 pm

For the first few months, the Kumari will be the "big gun" in the Intar area, but will mostly be patrolling surrounding systems, but she'll eventually be rotated out, so there will be a need for a ship such as the Ernst Ruska at that time.

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by captainuniverse » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:24 pm

It's definitely an idea to consider. I've already been working on the ER's senior staff today.

"Geronimo!"

AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by AdmiralSirJohn » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:35 pm

Okay. Once I get my desktop back, I'll be able to do manips of whatever cast you come up with.

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by captainuniverse » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:37 pm

Cool. Thank you. You are the Man. :/

"Geronimo!"

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by captainuniverse » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:30 pm

I finally come up with the Ernst Ruska crew. Now I have to cast them. :cry:

Casting is some frickin' hard. It's a damn PITA! ]]:0 ]]:0

"Geronimo!"

AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by AdmiralSirJohn » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:51 pm

Didn't I do a set of manips for that crew? Or was that a different crew?