ST: CITADEL - Interlude, "The Gift"

A place to post ideas, casting, ships, images, and stories for the ST: CITADEL shared-universe.

Moderator: Michael

Forum rules
For discussion of ideas, casting, ships, images, and stories of the ST: CITADEL shared-universe. Please observe all requests by thread originators concerning the level of feedback/critique they seek. (11/15/16 - I have received a request to lock this subforum. If there is a desire to unlock it again, please contact me by PM. Thanks. - Michael)

ST: CITADEL - Interlude, "The Gift"

Postby AdmiralSirJohn » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:18 am

Here's the first part of an interlude I'm writing, with the goal of finishing it by Christmas:

STAR TREK
CITADEL

Interlude: “The Gift”
By John H. Harris

As Rina Rentoshi stepped out of the car, she gasped.

There before her was a study in wood, glass and stone unlike any she had ever seen.

“It’s beautiful,” she breathed.

“You haven’t seen anything yet,” her husband, General An Rentoshi, said.

The house wasn’t actually theirs, as the small sign at the end of the walkway read BASE COMMANDER in both Intaran and Federation script. But she would be the first Lady of the House.

One of the aliens who had built the house met them on the front porch. It was the felinoid; the one in charge of the team from the Starfleet Corps of Engineers.

“General, Mrs. Rentoshi,” he said as they climbed the short ramp to the porch, “welcome home.”

“Thank you, Commander,” the general replied. “You and your people have done a remarkable job.”

“I’ll pass that along, Sir.” He then turned to Rina. “Ma’am, we have the general’s biometrics, but we don’t have yours yet.” He held up a small device. “May I?”

“Of course, Commander. What do I need to do?”

“Nothing at all. Just a quick scan, and… there you go. The house will recognize you now. Shall we go in?”

“Please.”

As he guided the Intaran couple through the house, M’Rowri kept up a running explanation.

“We started with a standard civilian house plan called the Dugan, which dates from Earth’s twenty-first century, and adapted it to Intaran design aesthetics and modern Federation technology. The house is designed as a three-plus-one bedroom house, meaning three bedrooms on this floor and a fourth bedroom as part of the second floor suite. Since you obviously don’t have any children living with you, we’ve reconfigured one of the bedrooms into an office, with full Intaran civilian, military and Starfleet communications and computer gear. In fact, the base computer pretty much runs the house.

“To the right is a full en-suite master bedroom, which we’ll look at shortly. This is what we call the Great Room or the Living Room. It’s the general center of the house. These doors lead to the deck, and, as you can see, there is open access to the kitchen and dining area. Above, the vaulted ceiling is open to the upper floor.

“You’ll notice that most of the walls have these black panels,” M’Rowri continued. He then touched the corner of the large panel in the Great Room, which instantly lit up with a standard Federation computer interface and house status display. “These are standard computer interface panels. They can display just about anything, and include full communications capability. They’re also linked to the planetary data and entertainment networks, so they can operate as standard Intaran entertainment displays.”

“Oh, good!” Rina said. “I can watch my stories.”

“Indeed, Ma’am. Since this house is fully accessible, there are both stairs and a lift. Next to it is a small lavatory and the dining area.”

They then walked into the kitchen area. “As you can see, the kitchen has all of the standard amenities: sink, dishwasher, chilled and frozen storage and a professional stove with double oven. We’ve also installed a replicator, which can produce most items you might need.”

“Just imagine,” Rentoshi said, grinning at his wife. “No more cooking unless you want to.”

“It does have some limitations,” M’Rowri added, “and some people can taste the difference between replicated and manually prepared foods.”

“Still, it sounds like a real time saver,” Rina remarked.

“And it saves space, as well.” He then led the two through the dining area to a short hallway. “In here we have two bedrooms, a bathroom, a laundry room and a room we’ve configured as an artist’s studio for you, Mrs. Rentoshi. General, we’ve placed your office in the back bedroom. It’s a direct copy of your office over in the administration building.”

“Excellent.” He then pointed. “I assume the vehicle bay is through that door.”

“Yes, Sir. Large enough for three family vehicles or a type 9 shuttlecraft.”

“Well, I doubt I’ll need to park one of those here anytime soon, but it’s good to know.”

“Let me show you the—”

M’Rowri was interrupted by the sound of an electronic chime. “General Rentoshi,” the newly-installed base computer’s voice announced, “there is a call for you from the Command Information Center.”

“I’ll take it in my office,” the general replied. “Commander, why don’t you show my wife the rest of the house while I take care of this?”

“Of course, General. Mrs. Rentoshi, let me show you the master bedroom suite…”

More to come.
(Yes, the image is me, but the photomanip wasn't done by me.)
AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Location: Aboard USS Marshal Martz, NCC-78506 (though physically in Jamestown, NY)

Re: ST: CITADEL - Interlude, "The Gift"

Postby captainuniverse » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:12 am

Nice piece of work there, John. I like how you described the house.

And here I was thinking that General Rentoshi was a widower or divorced. Great work, sir! \w/ \w/ \w/
"All of Time and Space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?"

"Geronimo!"

Thanks to FltCpt. Bossco for my Tattok avatar. This is Tattok when he assumed the position of Commander-in-Chief, Starfleet in the year 2411.
captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Postby AdmiralSirJohn » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:55 am

No, we were always going to meet his wife. It was just a matter of when.

Now I have to cast her...
AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Location: Aboard USS Marshal Martz, NCC-78506 (though physically in Jamestown, NY)

Postby captainuniverse » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:31 pm

If I might offer a suggestion, please, sir...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brenda_Fricker
"All of Time and Space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?"

"Geronimo!"

Thanks to FltCpt. Bossco for my Tattok avatar. This is Tattok when he assumed the position of Commander-in-Chief, Starfleet in the year 2411.
captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Postby AdmiralSirJohn » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:36 pm

Too old.

I picked Delta Burke. She's in her 50's, like Louie Anderson, so they should be a good fit together.
AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Postby captainuniverse » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:47 pm

She'll definitely work. Good selection there, Admiral, sir. (\gorn/)

"Geronimo!"

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Postby AdmiralSirJohn » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:01 pm

Here's the next piece:

As Rentoshi took a seat in the exceedingly comfortable chair, he reached forward and activated the terminal on the desk.

“This is Rentoshi,” he said.

“Sorry to disturb you at home, Sir,” the watch officer, an Intaran Navy lieutenant, replied, “but tracking stations have detected a ship approaching the system.”

“Tzenkethi?”

“No, Sir. It’s squawking an Intaran IFF code.”

“What’s it’s vector? The Krental is the next ship due back, but not for several weeks.”

“It’s not the Krental, General. It’s showing an Intaran registry number, UIS-4, but no name.”

“What does Starfleet have to say about it?”

“They don’t seem concerned. In fact,” the lieutenant added, leaning in toward the screen at his end, “they all look like the guetta that ate the kortay.”

Rentoshi sat back in his chair. “We’ve only laid the keels for three UIS-designated ships. What the hell would a ship with that designation be heading in-system for?” He absently pinched his chin, turning the question over in his mind before continuing. “Lieutenant, is Commander Wilcox still on duty?”

“He’s in orbit, General. He’s conferring with the officers on the Ernst Ruska.”

“Very well. I’ll take care of it. Rentoshi out.”

The screen switched to its default setting, a split-screen of the UFP seal and the Intaran government seal.

“It took a little doing,” M’Rowri remarked, “but we managed to shoehorn in both a sonic and water shower system.”

“Amazing. And you say the house is actually more energy efficient?”

“Yes, Ma’am. All of the systems are adapted from those used on starships, where pretty much everything is at a premium.”

“Commander,” the general said, entering the expansive bathroom, “is there a reason you’re taking us on this tour personally? I just received a call about a ship heading in-system, using an Intaran registry that hasn’t yet been assigned. Yet none of the Starfleet people seem worried.”

The look on the felinoid engineer’s face, despite the difference in species between them, said it all. “We’d hoped to make it a surprise, General.”

“If the Tzenkethi, with technology equal to your own, can’t sneak into the system,” Rina asked, “how did you expect to sneak one of your ships in? The entire planet is, after all, on heightened alert.”

M’Rowri seemed to deflate in front of them, as he made a deep, warbling purr sound. It took the two Intarans a moment to realize that was how Caitians laughed. “I told Admiral Mecum it wouldn’t work, but he insisted.”

“We’ll put it in the ‘Nice Try’ department,” Rentoshi answered. “So why is a ship coming here, squawking an unassigned Intaran ID?”

In reply, the engineer walked into the expansive closet, returning a few seconds later with a bundle of red, blue and gold fabric.

“It’s time to update your Space Service uniform, General.”

More to come...
AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Postby captainuniverse » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:54 pm

I can't wait to read more. =P~ =P~ \Y/

"Geronimo!"

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Postby amehatrekkie » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:07 pm

love the story so far dude :/
Ahmie K-[ay][aka Adam Kriegel], Captain of the Department of Weird yea i'm weird
STPMA WORLDBUILDING EXPERT[ RIP MJ!!] Normal people scare meAging is inevitable, maturity is optional
https://imgur.com/a/bUvNm
amehatrekkie
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

Postby AdmiralSirJohn » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:00 pm

Here's the next scene:

When Rentoshi beamed up to the Ernst Ruska, he found Prime Councilor Kodo waiting for him. To say the look on his face was one of anger mixed with confusion would have been an understatement.

“They didn’t tell you, either?” Rentoshi asked, stepping down from the platform.

“Not a word. These Starfleet types are keeping me just as much in the dark as they’re apparently keeping you. By the way, how’s your wife?”

“She’s fine. She’s conferring with Bob about where to put the Renewal Tree.”

“Renewal Tree?” Kodo asked, but quickly realized what the general was saying. “That’s right. I keep forgetting you’re Kentari.”

“Plenty of Nectem celebrate the Renewal Festival, you know.”

“Indeed. I probably should put in an appearance at Council House’s celebrations.”

He was about to say more, but stopped when the transporter room doors parted with a gentle puff of its pneumatic system. A moment later, Yineth Nikara entered.

“Captain, I hope you have an explanation for this,” Kodo growled.

“Your explanation is waiting nearly, Prime Councilor. If you gentlemen will come with me, I’ll conduct you to the Opera House.”

“You have an Opera House on board your ship, Captain?” Rentoshi asked. “As large as it is, one would think there isn’t enough room for such a venue.”

“Sorry. That’s what we call our main lounge. It doubles as the ship’s theater.”

“Interesting.”

We'll be looking in on Mrs. Rentoshi in the next scene... I'll post that tomorrow or Tuesday.
AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Postby captainuniverse » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:07 pm

I like what you named the Ernst Ruska's lounge, John. I was at odds over what to call it. Nice work on this section. Keep up the great work. I'd love to read more on the Intarans, in regards to the Kentari and the Nectrem. Did I spell that last part, right?

Anyways, keep up the awesome work, Admiral. \w/ \w/ (\gorn/)
Last edited by captainuniverse on Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Geronimo!"

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Postby AdmiralSirJohn » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:45 pm

It's actually Nectem. Necta and Kentar are two of the pre-unification countries, which continue to exist as political subsets, much the way states exist under the US government.
AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Postby captainuniverse » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Thanks for the explanation, John. \Y/

Now that the Ernst Ruska has an Opera House, I bet that Doctor Reh'loryn will be putting on a few concerts. Of course, the only person who will probably be attending them is her parma'kai, Commander Nash. \Y/

"Geronimo!"

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Postby AdmiralSirJohn » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:58 pm

Here's the next piece:

Meanwhile, M’Rowri was concluding the tour of the house with Rina.

“As you can see, the upstairs can be converted for a number of gravity and atmospheric conditions, should it ever be needed. They’re rare, but there are a few species that breathe gases other than oxygen.”

“Well, I’m sure the base housing people will be able to take care of that, should the need ever arise.” Rina paused at the foot of the stairs, looking at the Great Room before them. “Commander, I wonder if you might help me with something.”

“If I can, sure.”

“The turning of the Intaran year is only a few weeks away, and the people of my homeland have a festival we call Renewal. One of the symbols of Renewal is a decorated tree. In recent years, we’ve used an artificial tree, but nothing beats a real kraiteni.”

“Huh… Well that explains the decorations. I assumed it was the humans who decorated it. They’ve got a similar tradition with one of their holidays.”

“Oh?”

“Yes. It started as a religious observance, according to what I learned back at the Academy. The Magna Romans really play it up, though it’s been more or less secularized amongst the other human groups.”

“It must be hard telling them all apart.”

“Sometimes. We’ve catalogued dozens of kinds of humans, including you Intarans. Anatomically, you’re identical.”

“Interesting. Anyway, I wonder if we could use that transporter thing of yours to get a tree. There was this farm near where I grew up where one could cut their own trees. I remember playing there with my friends as a child.”

“Well, we’re not really supposed to use the shipboard transporters for personal use, but seeing as this is to decorate the base commander’s house…”

“I’ll even buy you lunch. I know you Starfleet types don’t use money—”

“Actually, we do,” M’Rowri countered, pulling a few neatly folded pieces of what looked like a plastic film. “Your government has started paying us in this scrip.”

“Oh, yes. I did hear something about that on the update channel.” She examined the blue one the Caitian passed her. “It’s a very simple design. Nice picture of Council House on the back, but who is this James T. Kirk?”

“Only the most famous starship captain in history,” M’Rowri answered, tucking the bill back into the pocket of his uniform pants. Like most engineers, he preferred the multi-pocketed cargo pants to the simple style that was standard to most of the fleet. “Back in the last century, he racked up more first contacts than anyone in the fleet. In fact, that’s why the Enterprise is Starfleet’s flagship.

“So where’s this farm you’re talking about?”

More to come, though with my STO addiction, I've abandoned my goal of having it finished by Christmas...
AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Postby amehatrekkie » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:00 pm

me likey! :-D
Ahmie K-[ay][aka Adam Kriegel], Captain of the Department of Weird yea i'm weird
STPMA WORLDBUILDING EXPERT[ RIP MJ!!] Normal people scare meAging is inevitable, maturity is optional
https://imgur.com/a/bUvNm
amehatrekkie
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

Next

Return to ST: CITADEL