Discovery Trailer

Star Trek related discussion, information, links, etc.

Moderator: Dancyer McCoy

Forum rules
For those who haven't noticed the Forum Rules have been revised. It might be a good idea to take a look at them if you haven't read them for awhile. You'll find them in the Forum Rules forum at the top of the index page.

Discovery Trailer

Postby Bry_Sinclair » Wed May 17, 2017 11:46 pm

Looks like I'm first to post it.

Will have to watch it a couple dozen times today, but first impression it looks far too NuTrek for my tastes!
Avatar: Captain Reihyn, Commanding Officer, U.S.S. Orion (circa 2375)
Artist: FltCpt. Bossco
Bry_Sinclair
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Re: Discovery Trailer

Postby captainuniverse » Thu May 18, 2017 12:59 am

I agree. It seems like it's Kelvinverse. Though it could be an alternate universe of its own... Who knows?
"All of Time and Space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?"

"Geronimo!"

Thanks to FltCpt. Bossco for my Tattok avatar. This is Tattok when he assumed the position of Commander-in-Chief, Starfleet in the year 2411.
captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Postby Bry_Sinclair » Thu May 18, 2017 3:08 am

I did read over on TrekBBS that is was confirmed by the PTB that it is not a reboot or in the NuVerse.
Bry_Sinclair
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby captainuniverse » Thu May 18, 2017 12:22 pm

I don't know. Lately, I've been asking myself if I should still be a Trekkie. CBS has ruined Star Trek for me in some ways.

I don't even know if I should keep writing Trek. I've very discouraged.
"All of Time and Space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?"

"Geronimo!"

Thanks to FltCpt. Bossco for my Tattok avatar. This is Tattok when he assumed the position of Commander-in-Chief, Starfleet in the year 2411.
captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Postby Gazomg » Thu May 18, 2017 5:59 pm

pure shit.

Bad enough Abrams prostituted the shit out of it, at least we could tell ourselves it was a different universe or alternate or whatever , but now they rape it some more.

What the fuck with the klingons.
They just about solved the TOS issue in Enterprise by making the story of the eugenics or whatever and now they change them again.

Star Trek as a series died when voyager and DS9 ended.

MANIPULATIONS ON MY SITE - 1640 - December 7th -
Gazomg
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby JM1776 » Thu May 18, 2017 6:22 pm

Honestly ... it looks like it's gonna suck.
A tattoo on a beautiful woman is like graffiti on a church.
JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Postby captainuniverse » Thu May 18, 2017 7:10 pm

I'm even asking myself why should I get CBS All-Access if this is gonna be crap.

"Geronimo!"

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Postby Bry_Sinclair » Thu May 18, 2017 10:48 pm

I'm really glad I already pay for Netflix and will be able to catch it without forking out anything extra, but my hopes for the series have waned significantly.

Yes, I understand the designs of the 1960s won't hold up to modern day scrutiny/aesthetics. Yes, I understand they want to make something that's visually appealing and possibly draws in those who call themselves "Trekkies" after only seeing the last three movies. But why, if this is meant to be a direct link between ENT and TOS, then go against all existing canon? Even the Kelvin from the NuTrek films (which I still believe was in a totally separate universe anyway) didn't look as messed up as this, it also had the excuse of being another 20 years before "The Cage", when this series is set around. If the first act doesn't include some sort of explanation for the huge differences in styling, uniforms, etc. then I will be most annoyed.
Bry_Sinclair
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Michael » Fri May 19, 2017 11:28 am

The trailer has a very cinematic look to it which I like. I consider that an improvement over how both VOY and ENT looked.

However, what the hell is going on with the Klingons? Was it really necessary to re-design them yet again???

And I agree, the ship and its bridge have a very Abrams-Trek design. :-k
-Michael Gray
"In Great Deeds Something Abides"
Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Postby Moogie » Fri May 19, 2017 12:21 pm

While the new films have a drastically different tone than the old series, I don't feel that should take anything away from how much people enjoyed the old series. You're perfectly allowed to love one series and hate the next. Or call yourself a Trekkie because you like the old stuff, but don't care for the new products. While I didn't mind the first of the new films, personally, I will agree that it didn't feel like "Star Trek". In truth, it probably reminded me more of Star Wars with the focus on combat and drama vs science and exploration.
Moogie
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class

Postby FltCpt. Bossco » Fri May 19, 2017 2:54 pm

The show will be the final nail in the coffin for Star Trek.
FltCpt. Bossco
-Fleet Captain-
-Fleet Captain-

Postby Bry_Sinclair » Fri May 19, 2017 10:45 pm

I love how most folk here seem to be of the same mind (different opinions are of course always welcome, this isn't a Discovery bashing thread), over at TrekBBS I'm starting to get the impression that if you say anything bad against NuTrek or Discovery you're branded a traitor to Star Trek and then forced to walk through the Promenade naked, with Kai Winn ringing a bell and repeating "shame" (mixing shows I know, but it seemed very fitting).

I don't understand why they've been so drastic with the changes when they've said that the show is in the 2250s in the Prime Universe, then ignore everything about that timeframe.
Bry_Sinclair
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby captainuniverse » Sat May 20, 2017 2:11 am

Bry_Sinclair wrote:I'm really glad I already pay for Netflix and will be able to catch it without forking out anything extra, but my hopes for the series have waned significantly.

Yes, I understand the designs of the 1960s won't hold up to modern day scrutiny/aesthetics. Yes, I understand they want to make something that's visually appealing and possibly draws in those who call themselves "Trekkies" after only seeing the last three movies. But why, if this is meant to be a direct link between ENT and TOS, then go against all existing canon? Even the Kelvin from the NuTrek films (which I still believe was in a totally separate universe anyway) didn't look as messed up as this, it also had the excuse of being another 20 years before "The Cage", when this series is set around. If the first act doesn't include some sort of explanation for the huge differences in styling, uniforms, etc. then I will be most annoyed.

Those of us in the States aren't so lucking with our Netflix subscriptions.

"Geronimo!"

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Postby captainuniverse » Sat May 20, 2017 2:12 am

FltCpt. Bossco wrote:The show will be the final nail in the coffin for Star Trek.

It feels that way. It's activated my depression and I've been struggling over whether or not to continue writing my Trek fan fiction.

"Geronimo!"

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Postby sirus » Sat May 20, 2017 6:36 am

Ok, so I figured I'd comment here too.

I am not to hyped about this new Star Trek. I don't think it can even be called Star Trek. In my mind it's hard for me to call anything after "Admiral Janeway" giving Picard orders, "Star Trek".

Discovery had promise at first, but as we have moved forward they have squandered it on meaningless things. First came the redesign of the Klingons. I sit there and wonder why bother. Why not just use the Kzinti or maybe even make up another new version of them (ala the Ferasan of STO). Or maybe go into the canon and pick another race the Federation has had problems with. Personally I'd love it if they did something with the Xindi.

But no, this is just another Federation vs Klingons story.

Then we get to the new look of everything. Why? I mean at least NuTrek tried to look like the TOS costumes in their own way. If they wanted inspiration for what the uniforms looked like before those ones, just look at "The Cage" or "The Menagerie" both clearly show pre-TOS uniforms.

Then the new sets. Not only do they fail to make an impact, but they look like the NuTrek sets with the lights turned off. They leave no strong impact on me.

Lastly I want to touch on the fact that this trailer makes it look like this is a 100% pure drama. And though I do like me some drama, I feel like there needs to be some levity as well. I think if you combined Discovery and Orville you'd have a show I'd want to watch. Or at the very least a show that would be self aware, maybe even something that would be, dare i say it, fun to watch.

As it is it seems like it's just STAR TREK™ DRAMA™ and I can't say I am all that interested.
From ignorance lead me to truth
From darkness lead me to light
From death lead me to immortality

ryjuda.deviantart.com
sirus
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Next

Return to Star Trek Related