My current fear for Discovery

Star Trek related discussion, information, links, etc.

Moderator: Dancyer McCoy

Forum rules
For those who haven't noticed the Forum Rules have been revised. It might be a good idea to take a look at them if you haven't read them for awhile. You'll find them in the Forum Rules forum at the top of the index page.

Re: My current fear for Discovery

Postby JM1776 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:12 am

If The Orville proves a brilliant parody, and Discovery fails spectacularly, this might well be the death knell for episodic Star Trek. MacFarlane reveres Trek, and will likely skewer it incisively out of love. Could be hilarious, appalling ... or both.

A point we've perhaps not considered hitherto: Most millennials, even those who are otherwise intelligent, like Abrams' films, and think they're cooler than traditional Trek. If Discovery garners, and, for the most part, holds that audience, there'll be little to no subsequent chance for the kind of series we'd all like to see.

I'll watch the first episode. I'll not subscribe and will thus be forced to engage in shadiness to see subsequent installments ... but I'll not even bother with that if the initial offering instills me with little or no hope.

I have a feeling this is gonna suck.
Johnny Depp is a brilliant actor, but he’s not even in Gene Wilder’s league as Willy Wonka.
JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Postby captainuniverse » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:03 pm

I think the universe just exploded because I just agreed with Joe.
"All of Time and Space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?"

"Geronimo!"

Thanks to FltCpt. Bossco for my Tattok avatar. This is Tattok when he assumed the position of Commander-in-Chief, Starfleet in the year 2411.
captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Postby ambessalion » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:20 pm

it seems like discovery is not in the prime universe but a THIRD universe (also co-owned by bad robot)

if it is then i don't plan to watch anything beyond the first episode on TV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQcLLfzzKWA
Ahmie K-[ay][aka Adam Kriegel], Captain of the Department of Weird yea i'm weird
STPMA WORLDBUILDING EXPERT[ RIP MJ!!] Normal people scare meAging is inevitable, maturity is optional
ambessalion
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

Postby JM1776 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:12 am

captainuniverse wrote:I think the universe just exploded because I just agreed with Joe.

Evidently your intelligence recently increased by a factor of two.
Johnny Depp is a brilliant actor, but he’s not even in Gene Wilder’s league as Willy Wonka.
JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Postby captainuniverse » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:06 am

Must be my anti-depressants working.
"All of Time and Space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?"

"Geronimo!"

Thanks to FltCpt. Bossco for my Tattok avatar. This is Tattok when he assumed the position of Commander-in-Chief, Starfleet in the year 2411.
captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Previous

Return to Star Trek Related