One of the things about The Orville ...

Star Trek related discussion, information, links, etc.

Moderator: Dancyer McCoy

Forum rules
For those who haven't noticed the Forum Rules have been revised. It might be a good idea to take a look at them if you haven't read them for awhile. You'll find them in the Forum Rules forum at the top of the index page.

One of the things about The Orville ...

Postby JM1776 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:18 pm

... that's annoying the shit out of me: The excessive use of contemporary vernacular and references.

I always hate when sci-fi or fantasy is set hundreds of years in the future, but almost every reference is to something with which we'd be familiar. Yes, I understand its purpose in context, but it often jars me right out of my suspension of disbelief. Star Trek: Voyager was guilty of this, too: Tom Paris' obsession with the 20th century grew tiresome after only a few occurrences.

No one is going to be watching Seinfeld, the single most overrated comedy in history, even fifty years from now, let alone 500.
The fascination with zombies in modern entertainment has a great deal to do with the fact that most of us are precisely that.
JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Re: One of the things about The Orville ...

Postby Jpatten » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:31 am

I won't disagree with you there. Of course I think its done partly because of how absurd it is especially in the context of This show.
I know its done often in order ot make a character "More Relatable" but I almost get the idea that with ORville it is done at least partly as parody of that.

Riker had his Jazz, Paris his obsession with ALL things 20th century and I am sure there are other characters doing similar things. Picard had Shakespeare.

Of course part of it is the fact we don't actually have any future or non-human works to draw from but that doesn't stop writers from making stuff up.
Still I get the feeling that it is being overdone a bit on purpose in Orville. But yeah it does tend to break the story some. I wont disagree there.

My eyes rolled a bit at them watching Rudolf.
I don't know half you half as well as I'd like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
Jpatten
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby JM1776 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:31 pm

Jpatten wrote:My eyes rolled a bit at them watching Rudolf.

Now, honestly, I see Rudolph standing the test of time more easily than Seinfeld. The art style is a delightful medium and Santa would definitely survive into the 24th century.
The fascination with zombies in modern entertainment has a great deal to do with the fact that most of us are precisely that.
JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Postby ambessalion » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:08 pm

it does get annoying when it's over done, i only do it sparingly.

the captain is a huge michael jackson fan, she learned about him from her uncle.

a relative of another character is a huge animation expert.

and another races cars on the holodeck, that's pretty much
Ahmie K-[ay][aka Adam Kriegel], Captain of the Department of Weird yea i'm weird
STPMA WORLDBUILDING EXPERT[ RIP MJ!!] Normal people scare meAging is inevitable, maturity is optional
https://imgur.com/a/bUvNm
ambessalion
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

Postby Lionheart » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:12 pm

JM1776 wrote:... that's annoying the shit out of me: The excessive use of contemporary vernacular and references.

I always hate when sci-fi or fantasy is set hundreds of years in the future, but almost every reference is to something with which we'd be familiar. Yes, I understand its purpose in context, but it often jars me right out of my suspension of disbelief. Star Trek: Voyager was guilty of this, too: Tom Paris' obsession with the 20th century grew tiresome after only a few occurrences.

No one is going to be watching Seinfeld, the single most overrated comedy in history, even fifty years from now, let alone 500.

My Fanfic was full of it, until someone called me out on the "No, you can't have my Bud Light..."

I like it, but it the comedy aspect does get old sometimes.
“Be polite; write diplomatically; even in a declaration of war one observes the rules of politeness.” – Otto Von Bismarck
Lionheart
Command Master Chief Petty Officer
Command Master Chief Petty Officer

Postby JM1776 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:44 pm

It's like the use of italics for emphasis in my own work.

My formula since having it pointed out to me: I write. I go back and normalize half of the italicized words. Then I do it again.

And I still use it more than many.

Yes, that one was intentional.

And so was that one.
JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Postby jayphailey » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:18 pm

I remember watching the second or third episode and thinking about a discussion we'd had in the late 1990s on the topic.

As a matter of fact, Garry and I are still occasionally making up "Modern" (24th century) elements of pop culture for our characters to reference.

I understand why Orville is doing it. It makes the characters seem more real and relatable and it's occasionally funny.

But yeah, the effect is "People from 2017 have a starship"

It doesn't really annoy me, like it does you. I am enjoying Orville.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Postby JM1776 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:35 pm

jayphailey wrote:I am enjoying [The] Orville.

I am, too. I'm also more easily annoyed than you.

And, for me, it makes them less believable, because it hits my bullshit detector too hard.
JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Postby jayphailey » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:28 am

JM1776 wrote:
jayphailey wrote:I am enjoying [The] Orville.

I am, too. I'm also more easily annoyed than you.

And, for me, it makes them less believable, because it hits my bullshit detector too hard.

Agreed. Agreed. I understand, and I understand.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Postby Jpatten » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:50 am

I need to watch the latest episode today
I don't know half you half as well as I'd like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
Jpatten
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby jayphailey » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:01 pm

Reminds me, there is a new episode of "Star Trek Continues" out

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Postby JM1776 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:29 pm

jayphailey wrote:Reminds me, there is a new episode of "Star Trek Continues" out

Ooh, thanks for telling me.

It's more real Trek to me than either The Orville or Discovery.
JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Postby jayphailey » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:53 pm

Well, it's a good one, but it's a two parter that doesn't drop the next episode for two weeks

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Postby Jpatten » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:55 am

I was kind of intrigued by the premise on the recent episode. Of course setting it on a planet that is virtually identical to 21st century Earth lets them save a ton of money on sets. They can just film out on the streets and in regular street wear. Saves a ton on set building.
That being said the idea of a legal system that is so democratic in nature has its definite pitfalls as Demonstrated. It is definitely a commentary on the ability of a person's life to be destroyed by social media.

I think the one thing that bothered me most about the episode was the alarm clock. Why?
Because it is pyramid shaped with the the way to turn it off being to hit the pointy end on top. If you flop over and slaap your hand down on the alarm button sticking up there it is going to hurt. I would despise an alarm clock that hurt like that when I turned it off. You would have ot make sure to hit lightly.

yeah I know that sounds stupid.
But as far as the episode? given the setting they were in they really didn't make as big a deal out of it as they could have. They didn't spend the whole episode throwing "This is just like Earth was, wow were they primitive and weird." at us like they could have.
(well outside of the danger of social media message)

Or maybe I m just more willing to suspend my disbelief and get into the story. (I still hate the alarm clock)
Jpatten
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby jayphailey » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:16 pm

Noted. Downvote on the Alarm Clock.

I think it was also a commentary on our modern "outrage culture"

Everyone was in danger of becoming the most recent outrage spectacle.

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Next

Return to Star Trek Related