A new ship in the Star Trek universe.

Star Trek related discussion, information, links, etc.

Moderator: Dancyer McCoy

Forum rules
For those who haven't noticed the Forum Rules have been revised. It might be a good idea to take a look at them if you haven't read them for awhile. You'll find them in the Forum Rules forum at the top of the index page.
captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

A new ship in the Star Trek universe.

Post by captainuniverse » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:18 pm

https://comicbook.com/2018/10/20/star-t ... mett-till/

Other than book canon, how the heck can there be a ‘Season Eight’? Or how can a Lieutenant JG become captain of a ship so young?

Weird.
"All of Time and Space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?"

"Geronimo!"

Thanks to FltCpt. Bossco for my Tattok avatar. This is Tattok when he assumed the position of Commander-in-Chief, Starfleet in the year 2411.

Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Re: A new ship in the Star Trek universe.

Post by Michael » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:25 pm

I went to the link, read the article, and I'm still confused. ):(
-Michael Gray
"In Great Deeds Something Abides"

Lionheart
Command Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by Lionheart » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:31 am

That was a horribly written article...

As for Dax being a Captain, there are two plausible possibilities. A time jump or they're using it as a title and its an EXTREMELY small ship.

Of course, if this is canon then everything the novels have done post-Dominion War is null and void.
"What is life? It is the flash of the firefly at night, it is the breath of the moose in winter. It is the shadow which runs along the grass and loses itself in the sunset." - First Nation Quote

Gazomg
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Gazomg » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:06 pm

Lionheart wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:31 am

As for Dax being a Captain, there are two plausible possibilities. A time jump or they're using it as a title and its an EXTREMELY small ship.

Of course, if this is canon then everything the novels have done post-Dominion War is null and void.
Maybe its just me , but as someone who has zero interest in Trek books, novels, fan produced movies, trek games etc, I class NONE of that as Canon.
If it aint been on the screen as official canon as in a tv show or movie then I class it as just fan stuff.
This is not to belittle the love, time and effort the people put in to their obvious love for all things trek,much like I love creating trek stuff, but its just fan stuff.

Even some of the official stuff on tv itself in my opinion is hardly canon, just look at some of the shit passing for canon in discovery.
MANIPULATIONS ON MY SITE - 2063 - NOVEMBER 13th

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:36 pm

Gazomg wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:06 pm
...but it's just fan stuff.
Rarely have I ever read a more incorrect statement.
"Thinking of a reason, well, it's really not very hard
to love you even though you nearly lost my heart"

Gazomg
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Gazomg » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:31 am

JM1776 wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:36 pm
Gazomg wrote:
...but it's just fan stuff.
Rarely have I ever read a more incorrect statement.
In your opinion only, as that is all it is, which you are absolutely entitled to have and believe in, just as I believe fan productions are not canon, and claiming that I am incorrect does not make it so, .
What constitutes canon has long been argued among trek fans for a long time.

Star trek continues, renegades, even the prelude to axanar which I thought was superb are not canon in my opinion, its fan stuff to me.
Again thats not to belittle the time, work and effort put in by fans who have a love for it

What we leave behind is a fan funded project and I will regard that as non canon and fan stuff, even if it has the people and stars responsible for DS9 which is my favorite show of all time involved in it and am really looking for to.

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:39 pm

It seems you completely missed the point of my post.

Lionheart

Post by Lionheart » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:46 pm

Gazomg wrote:
Lionheart wrote:

Maybe its just me , but as someone who has zero interest in Trek books, novels, fan produced movies, trek games etc, I class NONE of that as Canon.
If it aint been on the screen as official canon as in a tv show or movie then I class it as just fan stuff.
This is not to belittle the love, time and effort the people put in to their obvious love for all things trek,much like I love creating trek stuff, but its just fan stuff.

Even some of the official stuff on tv itself in my opinion is hardly canon, just look at some of the shit passing for canon in discovery.
I know its not canon, but its the only decent Trek we've received in years. It was hit and miss sometimes, but they put it all into a continuity and played together in the same sandbox.
"What is life? It is the flash of the firefly at night, it is the breath of the moose in winter. It is the shadow which runs along the grass and loses itself in the sunset." - First Nation Quote

Gazomg
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Gazomg » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:19 pm

Lionheart wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:46 pm
Gazomg wrote:
Lionheart wrote:

I know its not canon, but its the only decent Trek we've received in years. It was hit and miss sometimes, but they put it all into a continuity and played together in the same sandbox.
forgive my ignorance, but who decides what is and what isnt canon. ?
Surely that should be up to paramount, cbs or whoever own the rights.. and even then thats still debatable.

Other than a stitch of time I have never read a single trek book, despite me having over 500 books in e format.

The problem is if you believe the books are canon, then you are putting the books by writers who most have nothing to do with official trek ahead of people like ira behr who had more to do with proper trek has, than the writers of the books have.

This is why i class all fan stuff as non canon , just easier in the end

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:36 am

OK.

My point was not, "Fanon should be considered canon." That's absurd ... and I'm one of those fan fiction writers who've more than once had my stuff hailed as, literally, "The best Star Trek fan fiction on the Internet."

So what? That doesn't make it official any more than, as Scotty might say, putting wheels on a woman makes her a wagon.

My point was, instead, "One cannot disregard the creativity of those who've demonstrated their superiority to even, at times, official sources. One cannot disregard their passion, their dedication and their love of Star Trek."

You're right about canon ... but canon has become largely meaningless. It changes to suit the suits. Who gives a shit?

I know people here who consider Liberty more real than Discovery ... but that's not canon. It's personal continuity.

And if you can push into someone's PC, you've really made a mark that should be hailed as significant.

Star Trek is greater than Official Star Trek. It's worse. It's better.

And that's a good thing.