Top Five Favorite Main Characters

Star Trek related discussion, information, links, etc.

Moderator: Dancyer McCoy

Forum rules
For those who haven't noticed the Forum Rules have been revised. It might be a good idea to take a look at them if you haven't read them for awhile. You'll find them in the Forum Rules forum at the top of the index page.
JaceRidley
-The Captain-
-The Captain-

Top Five Favorite Main Characters

Post by JaceRidley » Fri May 12, 2006 2:07 pm

Who are your top Five Favorite Main Series Characters in Trek? To Qualify they have to have appeared in at LEAST 10 episodes of Any or all Star Trek Series. For Example.... Vic Fontaine, a Hologram(only appeared in 9 episodes), does not count despite numerous appearances. Barclay, with appearances in TNG, First Contact, and Voyager, can be counted.

Here's my Top 5 in No Particular Order:

The Doctor - VOYAGER - I Loved the Doctor. From the way Robert Picardo played him, to the stories written about him, I thought he was a wonderfully executed character that was simultaneously a satire of all doctors we've seen, and a character as unique as any human being. I thought he was wonderful.

Jean Luc Picard - TNG - I happen to just be a Picard Fan. He's my favorite captain of all the series, and Patrick Stewart is just a wonderful actor who brought Picard to Life in a way I don't think any other actor would have. Picard is the ultimate federation captain, to me, and I use traits I see from him to write my captain.

Data - TNG - This character is kind of everyone's favorite in some way. Brent Spiner played him masterfully, and I enjoyed the evolution of the Robot into the Man. He evolved in a very visible way from a Machine trying to grasp "the human equation" into a compassionate, complete person.

Jonathan Archer - ENT - I liked Bakula as Archer because he had the right attitude and he made the character exactly what I think the character needed to be. He had the right energy for the character, in a very subpar TV show.

Q - TNG/DS9/VOY - How can you not love Q and John DeLancie's Portrayal of him? The ultimate Antagonist. To me, he was kind of like a portrayal of the Angel and The Devil that watched over Starfleet to "See What Would Happen". He is, by far, my overall FAVORITE Character.

Honorable Mentions
--Phlox
--Tuvok
--Odo

That's magic in a cheetah print coat, Just a slip underneath it I hope
Asking if I can have one of those, Organic cigarettes that she smokes
Wraps her lips round the Mexican coke, Makes you wish that you were the bottle
Takes a sip of your soul and it sounds like…

collierctr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by collierctr » Fri May 12, 2006 7:06 pm

Great topic, tough question if I can change my mind next week after more thought, here goes in no particular order, this weeks top five in my burg:

Jadzia Dax - sexy and brainy and way way way too good for Doctor Becker.

Worf - if not only for the line "I am not a merry man!" but so many reasons more. More Klingons! That's what Trek needs. Make the next flick all Klingons! Yeah!

Riker - not only for the occasional look of boredom, or his poker playing, Will Riker was a solid XO in comparison to the other shows.

Miles O'Brien - there will be Irish in space, and they won't be habitual drunks. It's an optimistic message. We can drink, we can play darts, we can even enjoy excess, but we don't overdo it. Three cheers for Miles O'Brien. He even landed a cute missus.

And heck, I scratched my head a few minutes for a fifth... (hey there's one in the liquor cabinet! oops not that kind of fifth, DJ.) so I cheated, and peaked at your list. of Doc Hologram, JLP (hey, was the guy who named Picard a Jean Luc Ponty fan?) Data, Archer, and Q, all good choices (uh oh, sounds like I'm sucking up to the boss)... the one of those who brought me the most enjoyment was probably Doc Hologram. His 'What is the nature of the medical - oh its you, what do you want?' attitude was a good antidote for the 'I love you, you love me, we're a perfect family' Federation mentality.

Now I was going to ask something, but I can't remember what it was..........hmmmm, it'll come to me.....
"THERE IS NO SANCTUARY!"

Ramage
Senior Chief Petty Officer
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post by Ramage » Sat May 13, 2006 9:54 am

Benjamin Sisko -- He is a true Starfleet exemplar. Thrust into a crazy situation where he must balance the roles of base commander, diplomat, reluctant religious figure, civil administrator, and military commander, he pulls off the part with aplomb, determination, and a flashing smile. Of all the captains, he is the one I admire most. Especially after he shaved his head... ;)

Miles O'Brian -- This man is Blue Collar Trek. Miles is Everyman, married, father, the guy willing to get his hands dirty, respected, though without the rank, not a 100% genius the way that Scotty was, but getting things done through a combination of grit and determination, he has a conscience, a heart, and is flawed, but in a marvelously human manner. I respect him as a man.

James T. Kirk -- How can I not tip my hat to the man who got me interested in Trek in the first place? Yeah, he was a cowboy and often skirted the rules (okay, massively violated them on several occassions), but he was decisive, bold, and visionary. He did not ask for sugggestions; he led.

Mr. Spock -- The outside perspective, Spock started as a rather odd character, but by the end of Star Trek VI he had mellowed into a thoughtful presence. At first he was merely about "logic"; later, he developed true depth, including a true range of emotions. He was a calming force for the Enterprise, and often Starfleet in general.

Odo -- The ultimate outsider-looking-in, Odo wasn't even truly humanoid, though he played at it pretty well. He was more tightly wound than a cheap 1950s watch, but he kept to a moral code that few could match. I respect him utterly for his integrity.

JaceRidley
-The Captain-
-The Captain-

Post by JaceRidley » Sat May 13, 2006 11:53 am

Ramage wrote:Benjamin Sisko -- He is a true Starfleet exemplar. Thrust into a crazy situation where he must balance the roles of base commander, diplomat, reluctant religious figure, civil administrator, and military commander, he pulls off the part with aplomb, determination, and a flashing smile. Of all the captains, he is the one I admire most.
First, I'm not discounting your favorite. Its totally your call since it's YOUR favorite. I just have a small problem with your reasoning, as, of all the Starfleet captain's we've seen, he has done some seriously questionable things, much like Janeway. At least Janeway had half an excuse...

That's magic in a cheetah print coat, Just a slip underneath it I hope
Asking if I can have one of those, Organic cigarettes that she smokes
Wraps her lips round the Mexican coke, Makes you wish that you were the bottle
Takes a sip of your soul and it sounds like…

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:49 am

JMaxwell wrote:
Ramage wrote:Benjamin Sisko -- He is a true Starfleet exemplar.
First, I'm not discounting your favorite. It's totally your call since it's your favorite. I just have a small problem with your reasoning, as, of all the Starfleet captains we've seen, he has done some seriously questionable things, much like Janeway. At least Janeway had half an excuse...
Jason should be commended for his restraint. The idea of Sisko as an "exemplar" is laughable, and easily cast to the philosophical four winds in the face of basic logic and applied ethics.

Is he a cool (or, rather, 'kewl') character? Unquestionably. Do I enjoy watching him? Indeed so ... in no small measure for the purpose of studying the slow disintegration of an individual's moral base as a result of lionization. Looking past the surface reveals a very different Benjamin Sisko than most rabid Niners are capable, or rather desirous, of seeing.

As to my own favorites, in no particular order ...

... Jean-Luc Picard, Spock, Kira, Worf and Garak.
[O'Brien] even landed a cute missus.
Yeah. If only the wench could shut her hole every once in a while, it'd be the perfect marriage.
"Mechagodzilla and Titanosaurus are controlled by spacemen. They're moving fast and they're near the heart of the city."

"And after all this time, you'd think that I, I wouldn't feel the same ... but time melts into nothing, and nothing's changed."

Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Post by Michael » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:32 pm

Kirk-Spock-McCoy --- These three worked best as an ensemble, rather than as separate characters. They were the externalization of a single character's dilemmas.

Scotty --- He could be serious, funny, falling down drunk, or fighting mad, but he was always Scotty.

Geordi --- Despite the technobabble he had to spew, Geordi was probably the most human of TNG characters.

Data --- He wasn't human, but it was hard not to empathize with him.

Janice Rand --- And not for the reasons some of you might be thinking. Sure she was beautiful, but she was also a Star Fleet Officer, and it was that side we saw when the episode was well written. Yet she was still a woman. She showed the two weren't incompatible.
-Michael Gray
"In Great Deeds Something Abides"

collierctr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by collierctr » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:48 am

JM1776 wrote:
[O'Brien] even landed a cute missus.
Yeah. If only the wench could shut her hole every once in a while, it'd be the perfect marriage.
Never let it be said I can't exercise restraint.

Oh hell...

To each his own preference - I like the wench's hole open.

Shite... couldn't help myself.

And neither could O'Brien. :wink:
"THERE IS NO SANCTUARY!"

stjedi
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by stjedi » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:40 pm

Riker, Sisko, Tucker, Data, EMH

Bry_Sinclair
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Post by Bry_Sinclair » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:36 pm

1. Kira Nerys
2. B'Elanna Torres
3. Tuvok
4. Montgomery Scott
5. William Riker

Captain Marshal
Commander
Commander

Re: Top Five Favorite Main Characters

Post by Captain Marshal » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:15 am

Number 5: Worf. He may not be a merry man but he is certainly a great character.

Number 4: Jonathan Archer. Loved how Scott Bakula portrayed him and the character's story. His development from an arrogant kid to an ambitious Starfleet officer to a worthy Federation captain certainly made him a favorite of mine. His willingness to accept things, even his faults mark him as someone unique.

Number 3: Odo. I like his story, about how he turns his back on his people, condemning them for actions he holds morally or intellectually reprehensible. His character development was very endearing as well, going from an ice cold personality to one more warm and emotional. His romance was certainly charming by far, the quintessential friend to something more story. In many ways, I identify with him the most out of all the characters. His love of order, disdain with chaos and mess, badass attitude, no-nonsense work ethic.

Number 2: Q. There is no going around it. His dry caustic humor endeared him to me as no other character could. Who else could get away with calling Worf "microbrain" or insulting Riker at every turn? No 2 bouts about it, Q was the quintessential villain/hero. John de Lancie did right by this character and made him the lovable guy he is.

Number 1: Captain Jean-Luc Picard. The epitome of everything I envision a Starfleet officer to be. He reminds me of myself, callow youth tempered by age. Responsible and uptight. Explorer at heart and soul of a poet. I could wax poetic about it but I will only say that he was the best.

Honorable mentions:
-Beverly Crusher: Doctor's ethic and desire for life.
-William Riker: Ladies' man
-Spock: Pointy-eared logical Vulcan
-Leonard 'Bones' McCoy: Loved his "I'm a doctor, not a..." trademark lines.
Always fight for the dream of a better tomorrow, one that future generations will be proud to inherit.
Any dream worthy of fighting for is worth dying for. But anything worth dying for is also worth LIVING for.
Never stop fighting back the darkness or else it will overwhelm you. Faith Manages.

amehatrekkie
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

Post by amehatrekkie » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:53 pm

in no particular order:

Barcley- quirky sense of humor and a general oddball

Spock- no matter how much everyone else is stressing out/panicking about something, he's just chilling out

Data- he has a childlike curiosity about everything

Jadzia- beautiful, experimental (take that as you will) and full of life...what's not to like?

Weyoun- chilling, caluclating. he's a d---k to everyone but as soon as a Founder shows up, he's a fawning brown noser :)
Ahmie K-[ay][aka Adam Kriegel], Captain of the Department of Weird yea i'm weird
STPMA WORLDBUILDING EXPERT[ RIP MJ!!] Normal people scare meAging is inevitable, maturity is optional
https://imgur.com/a/bUvNm

AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché
Location: Aboard USS Marshal Martz, NCC-78506 (though physically in Jamestown, NY)

Post by AdmiralSirJohn » Wed May 01, 2013 12:26 am

Ooh... This is a difficult one, since there are so many candidates to choose from.

5. Christopher Pike (nuTrek version) - While I cannot call myself a fan of nuTrek (or even especially like it, though I will probably watch the new one at some point, likely on DVD), I must say this version of Pike is who I would hold up as a mentor. It's just bad luck that he chose a total a**hole to mentor...

4. Worf - What began as a very two-dimensional character really became the most developed character of the entire franchise, even above James T. Kirk. We know more about him than anyone else in the entire mythos.

3. Dr. Julian Bashir - While we had the "country doctor" in McCoy, the consummate professional in Crusher and the "SOB with a heart of gold" in the EMH, Bashir seemed to have all the qualities I like in a doctor. While he was a bit of a... pest(?) in the first couple of seasons of DS9, he matured quite well.

2. Benjamin Sisko - Almost because of, as Joe puts it, the "slow disintegration of his moral base". Especially in the Dominion War arc, he exemplified the difficulty military leaders can face, given unusual circumstances.

1. Montgomery Scott - The consummate "miracle worker", he's the prototype for every modern fix-it guy/girl, and we wouldn't have it any other way.

Honorable mention: General Chang - I should go find the cinematics from Klingon Academy just to see how the absolutely amazing Christopher Plummer developed this character. I would absolutely love to see a TUC prequel just about him.
(Yes, the image is me, but the photomanip wasn't done by me.)

collierctr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by collierctr » Thu May 02, 2013 12:06 am

Ya know, if you could get 100,000 trek fans together to offer up their 5 favorite characters and then total the results, I imagine there'd be several that would get very few votes.

Seska
Naomi Wildman
Vorik
Lon Suder
Icheb
"THERE IS NO SANCTUARY!"

AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché
Location: Aboard USS Marshal Martz, NCC-78506 (though physically in Jamestown, NY)

Post by AdmiralSirJohn » Thu May 02, 2013 3:54 am

collierctr wrote:Ya know, if you could get 100,000 trek fans together to offer up their 5 favorite characters and then total the results, I imagine there'd be several that would get very few votes.

Seska
Naomi Wildman
Vorik
Lon Suder
Icheb

Agreed. Seska was just your stereotypical "alpha bitch", and the rest just didn't get much development, though they all had wonderful potential...
(Yes, the image is me, but the photomanip wasn't done by me.)