Warp 10 and beyond

Star Trek related discussion, information, links, etc.

Moderator: Dancyer McCoy

Forum rules
For those who haven't noticed the Forum Rules have been revised. It might be a good idea to take a look at them if you haven't read them for awhile. You'll find them in the Forum Rules forum at the top of the index page.
McManus
Banned
Banned

Re: Warp 10 and beyond

Post by McManus » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:16 pm

I was thinking that, perhaps, the physical speed between warp factors is incredible and even though it is only one integer ( 9 to 10) they are separated by a great deal. Something like the Richter Scale where a 2 isn't twice as strong as a 1 and a 3 isn't 1 time stronger than that. For instance, an Earthquake that is 6.9 is TWICE as strong as a 6.7 (340 Kilotons of TNT to 170 Kilotons)

So, in a way, Warp 9.9 could be 100x the Speed/Distance of Warp 9. Warp 9.99 may be 6x faster/further than that -- 9.999 (you get the point)

I suppose I don't view it as the same kinda limitation that others do because there is a 'whole world' of speed in there.

Interestingly enough, both the Richter and Warp Scale seemingly pin out at 10.
Unless otherwise stated all of my images are FREE TO USE. If you plan to use them with the Obsidian Fleet let me know beforehand so that I can make sure it doesn't conflict with someone I am going to use. I make pictures for everyone to enjoy (<-- is that better?)

JaceRidley
-The Captain-
-The Captain-

Post by JaceRidley » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:04 am

McManus wrote:I was thinking that, perhaps, the physical speed between warp factors is incredible and even though it is only one integer ( 9 to 10) they are separated by a great deal. Something like the Richter Scale where a 2 isn't twice as strong as a 1 and a 3 isn't 1 time stronger than that. For instance, an Earthquake that is 6.9 is TWICE as strong as a 6.7 (340 Kilotons of TNT to 170 Kilotons)

So, in a way, Warp 9.9 could be 100x the Speed/Distance of Warp 9. Warp 9.99 may be 6x faster/further than that -- 9.999 (you get the point)

I suppose I don't view it as the same kinda limitation that others do because there is a 'whole world' of speed in there.

Interestingly enough, both the Richter and Warp Scale seemingly pin out at 10.
That's actually exactly how it works.

Several years ago there was a thing released from the former TNG staff that they used as a warp bible. I'll see if I can't find it later...

That's magic in a cheetah print coat, Just a slip underneath it I hope
Asking if I can have one of those, Organic cigarettes that she smokes
Wraps her lips round the Mexican coke, Makes you wish that you were the bottle
Takes a sip of your soul and it sounds like…

AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché
Location: Aboard USS Marshal Martz, NCC-78506 (though physically in Jamestown, NY)

Post by AdmiralSirJohn » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:28 am

It's in both the TNG Technical Manual by Rick Sternbach and Michael Okuda and the Star Trek Encyclopedia by Michael and Denise Okuda (another couple of celebs who connect with the fans on Facebook).
(Yes, the image is me, but the photomanip wasn't done by me.)

amehatrekkie
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

Post by amehatrekkie » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:20 pm

they're both lograthmic
Ahmie K-[ay][aka Adam Kriegel], Captain of the Department of Weird yea i'm weird
STPMA WORLDBUILDING EXPERT[ RIP MJ!!] Normal people scare meAging is inevitable, maturity is optional
https://imgur.com/a/bUvNm

AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché
Location: Aboard USS Marshal Martz, NCC-78506 (though physically in Jamestown, NY)

Post by AdmiralSirJohn » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:24 pm

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I was going through the archives and noticed this, which I excerpted from a larger post:
LStyer wrote:This is sort of analogous to "absolute zero." Whether you talk about 0K, −273.15 °C or −459.67 °F, you're talking about the same thing. And there is no such thing as -1K or -273.16°C or −459.74 °F.
It seems that this is no longer true...

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/ ... lute-zero/
(Yes, the image is me, but the photomanip wasn't done by me.)

amehatrekkie
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

Post by amehatrekkie » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:23 pm

oh wow

straight out of star trek :)
Ahmie K-[ay][aka Adam Kriegel], Captain of the Department of Weird yea i'm weird
STPMA WORLDBUILDING EXPERT[ RIP MJ!!] Normal people scare meAging is inevitable, maturity is optional
https://imgur.com/a/bUvNm

AlyssaJaneway2
Commander
Commander

Post by AlyssaJaneway2 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:50 pm

sirus wrote: To me if we limit the speed of warp travel to warp 10 {there's} a major problem still. In voyager it was said that at warp 9.6 it would take about 75 years to get from where they were in the Delta Quadrant to where they wanted to be in the Alpha Quadrant. Ignoring for a moment the wonky math needed {For} that to be true. This means that traveling at warp with a standard warp engine star-fleet could never explore that much of the galaxy with their standard "5 year mission" plans.
Now that last statement my not be as true as you would like it to be. The Federation could have decided to send a special research Fleet into another quadrant. Perhaps to establish a colony or two or what ever you would want to do that far from home. Perhaps they would just send ships. But the Warp drive would have to be upgraded ( Some what). There was also a episode where Janeway was talking to starfleet and they said that there was 2 deep space ships on and intercept course and they would meet in a short amount of time......
  I don't know what episode it was but I have eliminated 'Inside Man'.  
Though I do count the possible future as seen in All Good Things as just that, Possible. I think the reference to warp 13 was simple a reference to a totally new type of warp travel.
Possible. But it could have very well been an over imaginative mind at work as well.
In the Voyager episode Hope and Fear we see for the first time the slipstream drive. This was said to be able to take the voyager crew from someplace in the Delta Quadrant to Earth in a matter of 3 months. Now I'm no expert, but if at warp 9.6 it would take them 75 years and a standard slipstream drive could do it in 3 months, slipstream would have to be going a hell of a lot faster than warp 10.
When discussing topics like so it is helpful to keep both an open mind and think out side the box.

There is a number of reasons why the slipstream drive could have gotten them home a lot faster. First off I would have to input that the distortion of sub-space alone would make it possible. It could be very possible that the slipstream altered sub-space in a way that the Voyager warp drive didn't.... Also I would like to interject that the slipstream could have been used in conjunction with spacial anomalies native to the Delta Quadrant. Ex.( Wormholes, subspace corridors, geodesic formation, another alien similar to the caretaker.)

There are many of possibilities! :D
So perhaps in the "future" of the 24th century the model warp cores that are limited to warp 10 are simply phased out and newer faster models replace them. They still use the old warp scale, but they're actually not traveling at "warp" at all.
In some way this would allow for some aspects of Threshold to be used without limiting anything and not resorting to saying something like "well we just changed how fast warp is."
My first thought was: )wtf(........ Would you care to elaborate?
Thoughts?
Yup! That is all I have at the moment...
Promise me you'll always remember:
You're braver than you believe,
and stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.