Vessels rendering honors?

Star Trek related discussion, information, links, etc.

Moderator: Dancyer McCoy

Forum rules
For those who haven't noticed the Forum Rules have been revised. It might be a good idea to take a look at them if you haven't read them for awhile. You'll find them in the Forum Rules forum at the top of the index page.
AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché
Location: Aboard USS Marshal Martz, NCC-78506 (though physically in Jamestown, NY)

Vessels rendering honors?

Post by AdmiralSirJohn » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:55 am

Here's a question for the Navy/Merchant Marine veterans (of whatever country), or anyone who cares to chime in:

What do you think is the Trek equivalent of "rendering honors", whether it be by gun salute or dipping the ensign (flag, that is, not the junior officer... though that might be fun, depending on who it is)?

So far, the best I've been able to come up with is what I call "shields to honors", which is described in the novel The Wounded Sky, where a ship's shields are tuned to radiate visible light in the color of the vessel's system primary.

I've also thought about a simpler form of this, which I call "flashing the shields", in which a ship's shields are raised and then immediately lowered.

I'd love to hear any thoughts you folks would have on the subject...

Jpatten
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Vessels rendering honors?

Post by Jpatten » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:03 pm

Hmm Interesting idea on the shields, I don't remember that in Wounded sky, but then again it has been forever since I read it, if i read that one... I think in the Honorverse novels the ships will flash their running lights in salute. If I recall in one book The Fleet gave her ship a salute by having all of them flash the running lights simultaneously or flashing in a particular pattern that was a salute.
I don't know half you half as well as I'd like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
--KN4BMP

AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché
Location: Aboard USS Marshal Martz, NCC-78506 (though physically in Jamestown, NY)

Post by AdmiralSirJohn » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:07 pm

I forgot about that Honorverse light salute.

The shields salute was right at the end, where somebody on the bridge called Kirk in his quarters and said, "Jim, you really should see this." The screen then changed to show the whole fleet with their shields up and tuned, and he ordered "Full spectrum, infrared to ultraviolet. We went out there for all of them." (Or something to that effect.) In the same scene, K's't'lk hatches.

Jpatten
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jpatten » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:24 pm

OK.. now that does sound vaguely familiar. I think it works well in Trek, though I must admit digesting it some I have a little trouble with the idea of the shields as EM emitters, but I won't quibble it too much. Just in how I see ships operating, the running lights make more sense to me. But again that likely comes down to your trek your wave type thing.
I don't know half you half as well as I'd like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
--KN4BMP

AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by AdmiralSirJohn » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:25 pm

Still, now that you reminded me about the running lights, I think that's what I'll end up using.

Jpatten
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jpatten » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:29 pm

You're welcome. The shield emissions thing seems... Too "ooh cool!" The running lights have more dignity if that makes sense.

Especially as "tuned to the home system primary" bit.
--KN4BMP

Taiho
Crewman 1st Class
Crewman 1st Class

Post by Taiho » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:11 am

Interesting. I always wondered about how traditions like that would translate. I love the shield and running lights ideas. In one of my stories, a phaser barrage is used as a gun salute. We've also seen ships firing fireworks (including, oddly, the Cardassians). Coming up with a system of what honours to render on a particular occasion would be interesting.

One thing I have been trying to think of an equivalent for is the Royal Naval tradition of cheering a ship that has done something particularly noteworthy. A bit of a problem without an open deck...
Let us redefine progress to mean that just because we can do a thing, it does not follow that we must do that thing.
-Federation President

AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by AdmiralSirJohn » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:35 am

Yeah, "Manning the Rails" might be a bit problematic...

KahlessOfVulcan
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Post by KahlessOfVulcan » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:44 pm

What about this?
"You may think you're stronger than me - and MAYBE you are - but I got something you ain't never gonna have. Heart."
-Ben Grimm, AKA The Ever-Lovin' Blue Eyed Thing

Thanks to Joshawott for my avatar (Lt. Mike McCormack, USS Sovereign)

AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by AdmiralSirJohn » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:48 pm

Interesting idea, and I could see it replacing the gun salute. Not sure it would work in close quarters, though, and the folks down below on an inhabited planet might get the wrong idea... though it would certainly be a pretty fireworks display for something like Federation Day.

KahlessOfVulcan
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Post by KahlessOfVulcan » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:56 pm

Yeah, I figured it would work more as a fireworks display than a gun salute replacement. Of course, I'm sure it could be modified to fit the occasion, at least to some extent.
"You may think you're stronger than me - and MAYBE you are - but I got something you ain't never gonna have. Heart."
-Ben Grimm, AKA The Ever-Lovin' Blue Eyed Thing

Thanks to Joshawott for my avatar (Lt. Mike McCormack, USS Sovereign)

AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by AdmiralSirJohn » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:07 pm

Actually, I just had an idea that ties into Jpatten's idea about the running lights.

Perhaps flashing the self-illumination lights (which we've seen ever since ST:TMP) in a pattern or changing their color would work for dipping the ensign.

Indeed, most honors only work when ships pass rather close to each other, especially in space...

Jpatten
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jpatten » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:37 pm

I would have included those lights in the running lights salute i think.. that makes sense.
--KN4BMP