Official "Star Trek Into Darkness" Spoiler Thread

Star Trek related discussion, information, links, etc.

Moderator: Dancyer McCoy

Forum rules
For those who haven't noticed the Forum Rules have been revised. It might be a good idea to take a look at them if you haven't read them for awhile. You'll find them in the Forum Rules forum at the top of the index page.
Quoshara
Klingon Admin
Klingon Admin

Official "Star Trek Into Darkness" Spoiler Thread

Post by Quoshara » Wed May 15, 2013 6:50 pm

Yes, it's true, not everyone will be able to see "Star Trek Into Darkness" on opening weekend...so please, keep all your spoilers, squee, fan wank, spoilers, quotes, screenshots, spoilers, jeers, cheers, and BLOODY spoilers in this thread!

Thank you. *L*
*~Quo~*

Fic ahoy!

Well, damn....what should I write next? Hmmmmmmmm......

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Re: Official "Star Trek Into Darkness" Spoiler Thread

Post by captainuniverse » Wed May 15, 2013 11:53 pm

I plan on attending. Of course, I wonder if taking my Enterprise phase pistol and communicator with me is a good thing. They probably check phasers at the door, right?

Anyways, I wonder if there will be cosplayers. Last weekend, at the library, there were Star Wars cosplayers and I had my picture taken with them. And, Michael, your troops never suspected for one minute that Yoda was there. Lol! \Y/
"All of Time and Space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?"

"Geronimo!"

Thanks to FltCpt. Bossco for my Tattok avatar. This is Tattok when he assumed the position of Commander-in-Chief, Starfleet in the year 2411.

Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Post by Michael » Fri May 17, 2013 5:16 pm

captainuniverse wrote: And, Michael, your troops never suspected for one minute that Yoda was there. Lol! \Y/
:)

-

I went to see Star Trek: Into Darkness today.

The story is much tighter this time with far fewer plot holes than the previous film. The opening was good (I thought the design of the aliens was great), but unlike the first film, it wasn't the strongest part of the film. But it worked, doing what it needed to do.

I really liked the Kirk-Pike scenes. I wish there had been more of them.

Scotty got a much larger part of the story this time which I enjoyed a lot.

Benedict Cumberbatch was excellent.

The Spock-Uhura relationship was nicely done, building on what they'd done in the first film.

I felt McCoy got shortchanged in this film. I wish they'd done more with him.

The effects were excellent. I like the new warp effect they used. The look of both London and San Francisco was great, though different from what we'd come to expect from Earth in past Trek stories.

There was a point when we find out who Harrison is that at first made me roll my eyes, but in very short order, they took the story in a different direction than I expected which I very much liked.

On another point...
Spoiler:
I have never been a fan of the idea of Section 31, but here I thought they dealt with it in an effective way. I had always thought S31 was something that couldn't exist for a prolonged period of time, given its goals. But having it a dark corner of Starfleet, driven by Admiral Marcus, taking things to the logical end the admiral did, worked for me. I thought it also allowed the film to comment on a shadowy organization like S31, and to effectively end S31 for the foreseeable future.
I saw the film in IMAX 3D and found the 3D quite well done.

Overall, I'd give the film a three out of four.
-Michael Gray
"In Great Deeds Something Abides"

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by captainuniverse » Sat May 18, 2013 12:03 am

I give the movie a three out of four as well. And I agree with every point that the wizened old man in his mother's Sunday robe said. \Y/
"All of Time and Space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?"

"Geronimo!"

Thanks to FltCpt. Bossco for my Tattok avatar. This is Tattok when he assumed the position of Commander-in-Chief, Starfleet in the year 2411.

collierctr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by collierctr » Sat May 18, 2013 1:28 pm

Haven't seen it, but have read spoilers. Sounds like it might be fun. Been reading the numbers for Friday night and if it trends the way I think it will, the opening weekend domestic box office will be in the $88-$96m range. Not Iron Man 3 money, but decent for a Star Trek movie, better than the last one's opening (2009 trek did $79.2 million opening weekend enroute to a $257m domestic and $128m foreign take).

Things have changed however - at least for some movies. For example, Avengers made $623m domestic in release; and the foreign take was $891m, for a combined take of $1.514 billion. The foreign take was 143% of the domestic.

Iron Man 3 which has only been out 12 days, already has $301M domestic and $692 foreign and will pass the $1 billion worldwide this weekend.

Be interesting when this has had its run if it follows that trend and has similar worldwide appeal, or if it bucks that trend and like its 2009 predecessor, is more popular at home than abroad.

Also... if this trek movie were to make more money from foreign markets than it does from US markets, it will be the first Star Trek film to do so.
Spoiler:
I hear someone vociferously references that French Riviera location, "Cannes!"
::fd::
"THERE IS NO SANCTUARY!"

JLP
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class

Post by JLP » Sat May 18, 2013 2:33 pm

Spoiler:
I loved the redesigned Klingons. Different, yet still having the same basic design. I really hope they bring back the Cardassians next time.

Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Post by Michael » Sat May 18, 2013 6:17 pm

captainuniverse wrote:...the wizened old man in his mother's Sunday robe said. \Y/
:[]]
-Michael Gray

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by captainuniverse » Sun May 19, 2013 2:20 am

I liked your Gene Hackman manip, Michael. He'd make a great Starfleet captain.

"Geronimo!"

Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Post by Michael » Sun May 19, 2013 11:25 am

captainuniverse wrote:I liked your Gene Hackman manip, Michael. He'd make a great Starfleet captain.
I agree.

He'll show up in a future Dark Horizon story as Captain Eduard Raban.

-Michael Gray

Quoshara
Klingon Admin
Klingon Admin

Post by Quoshara » Sun May 19, 2013 3:56 pm

Okay... I just got home from viewing STITD and I'm ready to REALLY pop some spoilers, so if you don't want to hear them, read no further (and if you don't want to hear them, why are you reading a thread CLEARLY MARKED AS SPOILERS?)

I really enjoyed this film. I was a little annoyed with the revelation of Harriman being Kahn but really aside from the name and the tropey background he wasn't the same at all.

And the tropey background wasn't overused, it just made why Harriman was doing what he did more understandable. It gave him justification and a bit of sympathy rather than it all just being about vengeance.

High points for me (yes, just tiny things I noticed):
Chris Pine's wooby face when Pike tells him he's not ready for 'the big chair'.
The baby volcano planet alien.
The android/cyborg/whatever-he-was on the bridge.
Bones flirting with Carol Marcus all the way to disassembling the torpedo. *L*
Scotty at the disco in his horrid shirt.
Spock telling Kirk not to interfere with the Klingons because it would piss Uhura off. *L*

Low points:
Okay... why the heck did she have to get naked in the shuttle? Just hur? That was a bit gratuitous.
Using the smart kid for laughs (Chekov)
Loooooooong freaking battle/space evac/topsy-turvy fix the ship and save the day scenes (yes, there are reasons I close my eyes during these parts.)

All in all though it was fun and I will be adding it to my DVD library as soon as I can.

EDIT = I can't believe I didn't say a word about what an amazing villain BC was... That voice, that cold expression... I don't think I've been as frightened by a villian since Bill Sikes.
*~Quo~*

Fic ahoy!

Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Post by Michael » Sun May 19, 2013 10:34 pm

Quoshara wrote:The android/cyborg/whatever-he-was on the bridge.
What was up with that guy? :-k
Scotty at the disco in his horrid shirt.
I loved the argument Scotty and Kirk had via communicator while Scotty was in the disco.
-Michael Gray

collierctr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by collierctr » Mon May 20, 2013 10:47 am

Well I was a bit off on the numbers but it still did better than the 2009 incarnation. Evidently a few people besides me didn't see this one this weekend. I didn't stay away on purpose; just didn't have the time to go. Having read the spoilers, I expect to like it when I see it.
"THERE IS NO SANCTUARY!"

amehatrekkie
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

Post by amehatrekkie » Thu May 23, 2013 2:30 pm

i saw it.....and was pissed. they pretty much lied to us flat out

it was a bad imitation of ST2 in so many ways

it's just like the last movie.....good action movie, bad trek
Ahmie K-[ay][aka Adam Kriegel], Captain of the Department of Weird yea i'm weird
STPMA WORLDBUILDING EXPERT[ RIP MJ!!] Normal people scare meAging is inevitable, maturity is optional
https://imgur.com/a/bUvNm

amehatrekkie
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

Post by amehatrekkie » Thu May 23, 2013 4:24 pm

it bugged the heck out of me and confirmed the reasons for my ambivlanece

i can understand the need for secrecy but they pretty much lied to us when they said cumberbatch isn't playing kahn

the scene when spock is discussing his emotions IN FRONT OF STRANGERS (the conversation is a stretch in itself since the prime-spock never did even with kirk and mccoy, his closest friends)

the climax in the engine room with kirk pretty much copies the scene from ST2....*shudder*

that silly mini-jem hader-rip off dude.....his friendship with scotty on it's face is cute but give him a personality, he never says a word
Ahmie K-[ay][aka Adam Kriegel], Captain of the Department of Weird yea i'm weird
STPMA WORLDBUILDING EXPERT[ RIP MJ!!] Normal people scare meAging is inevitable, maturity is optional
https://imgur.com/a/bUvNm

Quoshara
Klingon Admin
Klingon Admin

Post by Quoshara » Thu May 23, 2013 8:59 pm

I won't go into the 'lying' claim since, really, did you expect them to verify something like that from the very beginning? :wink:

As for the rest, I think you're missing the basic idea of what an "Alternate Universe' is. That means some things are the same and some things are very, very different.

So, rather than being awakened by the Enterprise crew and freeing his fellow crew members, Kahn is awakened secretly and exploited until he manages to rebel. He's an ice cold killer, but has unsurpassed feelings of family and loyalty to his crew, something the original Kahn never personified. The reversal of roles between Kirk and Spock in the engine room scene was purposeful, showing that the more things change the more some things are inevitable - in this case, someone having to make the supreme sacrifice for the good of the many.

I do tend to agree with you about the movie being a bit long on action and lean on interaction, but that seems to be what blockbuster movies consist of these days, so I'm thinking it's something we'll have to deal with until the trend changes again.
*~Quo~*

Fic ahoy!