Federation Trek Politics

Star Trek related discussion, information, links, etc.

Moderator: Dancyer McCoy

Forum rules
For those who haven't noticed the Forum Rules have been revised. It might be a good idea to take a look at them if you haven't read them for awhile. You'll find them in the Forum Rules forum at the top of the index page.
Captain Marshal
Commander
Commander

Federation Trek Politics

Post by Captain Marshal » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:23 am

I asked for some guidance on such a possibly controversial topic and received a response consistent with site policy: Do NOT bring real world politics into this thread discussion.

That said, the topic is Trek Politics. While the movies and series don't satisfactorily address this issue, the novels do to a large extent. Therefore I wish to talk about the following Presidents of the Federation.
President Jaresh-Inyo (2369-2373)
President Min Zife (2373-2379)
[President Pro Tem B'ullhy (2379)]
President Nanietta Bacco (2379-2385)
[President Pro Tem Ishan Anjar (2385)]
I’d like to offer my take on the abovementioned Presidents of the Federation.

President Jaresh-Inyo was the Grazerite seen in DS9 episodes Paradise Lost & Homefront. His policies were non-aggressive and perfectly suited for a peace-time president. He led during the time when the Federation was moving in a peaceful era, the Borg attacks on the 2360s notwithstanding. But his handling of first contact with the Dominion led to his defeat in the election of 2373.

President Min Zife was a Bolian president who led during the Dominion War and the aftermath, right up until just shortly before the events of Star Trek Nemesis. His policies were far more aggressive. He took a largely autonomous role to better manage the war, often skirting the Federation Council in his executive actions. However, he over-reached during the peace achieved. His heavy-handedness to force the council into line ultimately backfired in the Tezwa debacle, leading to what amounted to a coup initiated by Starfleet's admiral Ross and Section 31.

President Pro Tem B'ullhy was temporarily president for a month long term, just long enough to elect Nan Bacco into office. However, the Damiani President pro tem didn't attempt any bold actions, merely keeping the government functioning long enough for the Special election to take place and swear in a new leader. She was the perfect model of a president pro tempore.

President Nanietta Bacco was an elderly stateswoman, a female human, from Cestus III. Taking office at a critical time, her administration was beset by dozens of crises that she dealt with admirably. The collapse of the Romulan government, the Romulan Secession, the Borg Invasion of 2381, Reconstruction, Rise of the Typhon Pact, Andorian Secession, and many others. She was a pro-active president, striving hard to make the lives of all sentient beings better. One may call her a progressive or one may call her idealistic. Yet it amounts to much the same. Her assassination is a tragedy and one that should drive home the fact that she was a far cry from the regular politician if there were attempts to assassinate her on 2 separate occasions, finally succeeding on the second try.

Now…onto President Pro Tem Ishan Anjar. This was a former councilor from Bajor. While it demonstrates the strength of the Federation’s democracy that a citizen from one the relatively newest members of the UFP can assume the highest office in the Federation, it says little about the man itself. His policies on the other hand though... says quite a bit about this man. He is very heavy-handed in his policies. Upon assassination of Nan Bacco and his assumption of the office of the President Pro Tem, he nearly demolishes the Federation/Cardassian Alliance. This is one of Bacco’s greatest achievements and he literally destroys it in a matter of days.

What REALLY gets me going on this guy is how he deals with the Andorians. He initiates an embargo on the planet so critical supplies can no longer be traded with the seceded world, leading to widespread suffering among the civilian population. Furthermore, the Andorian people are dying of a reproductive crisis, facing extinction within the century. The Federation could assist by means of the Shedai Meta-Genome (classified for over a century) but he refused simply out of spite that they seceded from the Federation and reached out to a rival power that attempted to offer the Andorians the very help he denied them.

In this, he put his ambition to become the new President ahead of the interest of an endangered people. To score political points, he was willing to callously condemn an entire sentient species to extinction. This guy is only a President Pro Tem! Sure he is responsible for safeguarding of the Federation but his actions do not speak kindly of this guy at all.

For such actions…I say the following:

Ishan Anjar is not fit to WALK where Nanietta Bacco once led.

I’d like to hear what others people think of the Trek politics of these politicians. I’d like to know if they agree, disagree, or otherwise have any thoughts or comments on this. In particular, those who know about Ishan Anjar, I would most definitely like to know your thoughts on him. Would you support him in the upcoming special election for the President of the United Federation of Planets or would you back one of the other candidates? Quite possibly Kellasar sh’Tarash of Andoria?
Always fight for the dream of a better tomorrow, one that future generations will be proud to inherit.
Any dream worthy of fighting for is worth dying for. But anything worth dying for is also worth LIVING for.
Never stop fighting back the darkness or else it will overwhelm you. Faith Manages.

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Re: Federation Trek Politics

Post by captainuniverse » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:44 am

I liked Bacco. She was a force for good in thd galaxy. Ishan... he's either getting some bad advice or he's a complete and utter idiot. Probably both.

Anyways, I wouldn't vote for Ishan.

Now if a Horrusi ran for office against the Councilor from Naboo... lol... just kidding, Michael. Still, Ishan's only in office for sixty days. Hopefully, the next guy or girl will be an improvement. I do like the fact that Elim Garak will be Castellan of Cardassia.
"All of Time and Space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?"

"Geronimo!"

Thanks to FltCpt. Bossco for my Tattok avatar. This is Tattok when he assumed the position of Commander-in-Chief, Starfleet in the year 2411.

Captain Marshal
Commander
Commander

Re: Federation Trek Politics

Post by Captain Marshal » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:35 pm

I do like that Garak is the new Castellan, he's a different man than he once was and he has his people's best interests at heart.

As for Ishan, he's running the special election. Kelleshar zh'Tarash of Andoria will also be running. As the leader of the Progressive Party who led the Loyal Opposition to toppling the self serving ch'Foruta government, she's demonstrated she has her people's best interests at heart as well. Therefore, she has my vote. Then again, many people would against Ishan.
Always fight for the dream of a better tomorrow, one that future generations will be proud to inherit.
Any dream worthy of fighting for is worth dying for. But anything worth dying for is also worth LIVING for.
Never stop fighting back the darkness or else it will overwhelm you. Faith Manages.