NuTrek: Alternate TImeline or Total Reboot?

Star Trek related discussion, information, links, etc.

Moderator: Dancyer McCoy

Forum rules
For those who haven't noticed the Forum Rules have been revised. It might be a good idea to take a look at them if you haven't read them for awhile. You'll find them in the Forum Rules forum at the top of the index page.
Bry_Sinclair
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

NuTrek: Alternate TImeline or Total Reboot?

Post by Bry_Sinclair » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:39 pm

Whatever your feelings on NuTrek, it looks like its here to stay for a while.

However, is it actually an alternate timeline or is it actually a total reboot for the franchise? The loss of the Kelvin seems to have massive ramifications across the quadrant. It's loss effects how starships are designed (if you go with the super-sized Enterprise) as well as the introduction of megawarp that allows ships to get from Earth to Vulcan in seconds, whilst whoever tweaked Starfleet shielding must've been fired early on, the overseer of uniform design is now very sexist and believes that women will never attain a high enough rank to warrant sleeves, they've put windows onto the bridge, etc.

Some of that could be explained by engineers and designers who were on the Kelvin being lost, but that has no effect on how different Khan is (when he left Earth 250 years before the divergence), or the very different appearance of the Klingons and their new love of bling.

I'd have felt better about the NuTrek films if they'd decided to reboot everything instead of trying to tie the continuities together in a tedious way.
Avatar: Captain Reihyn, Commanding Officer, U.S.S. Orion (circa 2375)
Artist: FltCpt. Bossco

collierctr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: NuTrek: Alternate TImeline or Total Reboot?

Post by collierctr » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:22 pm

I'm too old and familiar with Oltrek to care about Nutrek. Nutrek is for people who either were indifferent to Oltrek or too young to care about it. For them, it's great, it's grand, it's splendiferous that Nutrek is there to energize them, but for me another Kirk & CO movie or story is about as exciting as a dinner of warm beer and cold bread.
"THERE IS NO SANCTUARY!"

KahlessOfVulcan
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Post by KahlessOfVulcan » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:51 pm

It's an alternate (or "altered" if you prefer) timeline, just like the first movie specifically and unambiguously points out. It's consistent with what we know about alternate timelines in Trek that when a timeline is altered and parallel reality is created, the original reality still exists somewhere out there. At least that's how I've always interpreted things.

I do concur that the Kelvin's destruction doesn't explain all the timeline changes, which leads me to believe it was a different timeline to begin with.

My basic feeling is that from a viewer's perspective, it's a franchise reboot. You don't need a background in Trek to understand what's going on - in that respect, it's a reboot. But from an in-universe point of view, there's absolutely no gosh-darn reason to imagine NuTrek has erased Prime Trek.
"You may think you're stronger than me - and MAYBE you are - but I got something you ain't never gonna have. Heart."
-Ben Grimm, AKA The Ever-Lovin' Blue Eyed Thing

Thanks to Joshawott for my avatar (Lt. Mike McCormack, USS Sovereign)

amehatrekkie
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

Post by amehatrekkie » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:35 pm

the concept of an AU/reboot wouldn't have bothered me if abrams hadn't changed so many things about it

and don't get me started on into darkness lol
Ahmie K-[ay][aka Adam Kriegel], Captain of the Department of Weird yea i'm weird
STPMA WORLDBUILDING EXPERT[ RIP MJ!!] Normal people scare meAging is inevitable, maturity is optional
https://imgur.com/a/bUvNm

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by captainuniverse » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:34 am

I'm too old and green to learn new tricks. \Y/
"All of Time and Space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?"

"Geronimo!"

Thanks to FltCpt. Bossco for my Tattok avatar. This is Tattok when he assumed the position of Commander-in-Chief, Starfleet in the year 2411.

Bry_Sinclair
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Post by Bry_Sinclair » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:34 am

ambessalion wrote:and don't get me started on into darkness lol
Now that kinda makes me want to poke the bear and see what happens :lol:

When I went to see STID, I purposefully never read anything about it, wanting to be surprised and hoped for the best. Barring the ship underwater and the gross violation of Prime Directive on Nibiru, I enjoyed the beginning of the film. Harrison as a baddie was interesting, a human with a serious issue against Starfleet and access to advanced technology, and the plot was pretty decent (glossing over the limp excuse to get Marcus in her underwear). As soon as Harrison was in the brig and revealed himself as Khan, I groaned in despair, and the film plummeted--especially when it just starting ripping lines from the script of TWOK. Now they live in a universe where death is treatable, so really what stakes are there for Kirk and Co to face?
Avatar: Captain Reihyn, Commanding Officer, U.S.S. Orion (circa 2375)
Artist: FltCpt. Bossco

KahlessOfVulcan
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Post by KahlessOfVulcan » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:14 pm

You guys were thinking too hard when you watched Into Darkness.

Stuff blows up. John Harrison annihilates a squad of Klingons in one of the most epic smackdowns I've ever seen. The Enterprise fights the biggest, coolest Federation starship we've ever seen. Sulu shows off his badass Captain skills. More stuff blows up. NuKlingons are gloriously creepy. Spock goes into full-on Hulk Rage Mode and gives Harrikhan a beating that makes the one he gave Kirk in the last film look like a tickle fight. Scotty does awesome stuff. Johnedict Cumberba...er, Benedict Cumberkhan...Khanedict Harrimbatch...Bandersnatch Cummerbund?

I'm sorry, I got distracted. What was I saying? Oh, right. Into Darkness is a good movie, as long as you don't think too hard. If you want to appreciate it, you gotta think like the target demographic. Explosions? Check. Aliens? Check. Fight scenes? Check. Charismatic and badass villain with a deep voice? Check.
Now they live in a universe where death is treatable, so really what stakes are there for Kirk and Co to face?
People keep saying that. Am I the only one who didn't miss the fact that Bones specifically says Kirk was "barely dead?" Khan's blood cured the radiation poisoning, not the death. We have technology in this century capable of bringing the clinically dead back to life. No reason to suspect Bones has access to better technology - in fact, it's plainly stated that they put Kirk in a stasis pod to preserve his brain function. If he was totally biologically dead he wouldn't have brain function. Ergo, he was clinically dead for a little while, but the stasis pod kept him alive long enough for Bones to revive him, AND THEN Khan's superblood helped heal the radiation poisoning. It's hardly the magical death healer everyone says it is. It wouldn't work on every case - if you were blown up or torn apart or shot in the head, for example. So it's a case of "only MOSTLY dead," not a magical death healing potion.
"You may think you're stronger than me - and MAYBE you are - but I got something you ain't never gonna have. Heart."
-Ben Grimm, AKA The Ever-Lovin' Blue Eyed Thing

Thanks to Joshawott for my avatar (Lt. Mike McCormack, USS Sovereign)

Quoshara
Klingon Admin
Klingon Admin

Post by Quoshara » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:15 pm

I enjoy Nu!Trek with the same enthusiasm that I still enjoy Old!Trek. It's two different visions of the same thing, in much the same what that the BBC's Sherlock and CBS's Elementary are different visions of the classic ACD Holmes novels. Are they the same? Of course not. Can I still enjoy them separately? Absolutely. I can and I do.

So there. :P *L*

But, to answer your question, I consider Nu!Trek to be an alternate reality (whether it's a reboot or not is inconsequential).
*~Quo~*

Fic ahoy!

Well, damn....what should I write next? Hmmmmmmmm......

Captain Marshal
Commander
Commander

Post by Captain Marshal » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:08 am

collierctr wrote:I'm too old and familiar with Oltrek to care about Nutrek. Nutrek is for people who either were indifferent to Oltrek or too young to care about it. For them, it's great, it's grand, it's splendiferous that Nutrek is there to energize them, but for me another Kirk & CO movie or story is about as exciting as a dinner of warm beer and cold bread.
:## :## :##

I completely agree with collierctr on this. I'd waste a post or two bashing away at NuTrek but that's a waste of time and energy. So I'll stick to topic and just say in the Star Trek Universe, it's an alternate timeline. For fans it's a total reboot. Depends on perspective. For those of fans who knew and loved Oltrek, we think of it as an alternate timeline so what we consider canon remains intact. For those fans who didn't appreciate Oltrek, its a reboot and a great one at that (which would lead to a diatribe about the differing standards and values held by the younger generation in normal circumstances).

Which begs the question in the Trek Universe's science about quantum/temporal theory: in a million years, which timeline will win out Oltrek or Nutrek?
Always fight for the dream of a better tomorrow, one that future generations will be proud to inherit.
Any dream worthy of fighting for is worth dying for. But anything worth dying for is also worth LIVING for.
Never stop fighting back the darkness or else it will overwhelm you. Faith Manages.

amehatrekkie
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

Post by amehatrekkie » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:31 pm

i'll say it was badly done AU and move-on lol :)
Ahmie K-[ay][aka Adam Kriegel], Captain of the Department of Weird yea i'm weird
STPMA WORLDBUILDING EXPERT[ RIP MJ!!] Normal people scare meAging is inevitable, maturity is optional
https://imgur.com/a/bUvNm

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by captainuniverse » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:54 pm

I see NuTrek as an alternate universe and leave it at that. I have no intention of participating in it as I prefer twisting the Prime universe to my own aims and desires. And yes, I have a Yoda-like species called the Horrusi because they came close to what I imagined when I created them.
"All of Time and Space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?"

"Geronimo!"

Thanks to FltCpt. Bossco for my Tattok avatar. This is Tattok when he assumed the position of Commander-in-Chief, Starfleet in the year 2411.