"Star Trek: Axanar" sued by CBS, Paramount

Star Trek related discussion, information, links, etc.

Moderator: Dancyer McCoy

Forum rules
For those who haven't noticed the Forum Rules have been revised. It might be a good idea to take a look at them if you haven't read them for awhile. You'll find them in the Forum Rules forum at the top of the index page.

"Star Trek: Axanar" sued by CBS, Paramount

Postby Triton » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:06 pm

"‘Star Trek’ Crowdfunded Film’s Producers Sued by CBS, Paramount"
Dave McNary
Film Reporter @Variety_DMcNary
December 30, 2015

Paramount Pictures and CBS Studios have sued the makers of the upcoming crowdfunded “Star Trek” film “Axanar” for alleged copyright infringement

Paramount and CBS are alleging three claims of copyright infringement in the suit: “The Axanar Works infringe plaintiffs’ works by using innumerable copyrighted elements of ‘Star Trek,’ including its settings, characters, species and themes.”

The action alleges that producers of “Axanar” have “unabashedly” taken the CBS and Paramount intellectual property to “look and feel like a true ‘Star Trek’ movie.” Paramount and CBS are seeking an injunction along with damages for direct, contributory and vicarious copyright infringement.

Source:
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/star- ... 201669522/
"Fortune favors the audacious" -- Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus (October 28, 1466 – July 12, 1536)
Triton
Commodore
Commodore

Re: "Star Trek: Axanar" sued by CBS, Paramount

Postby Triton » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:16 pm

December 30, 2015 6:25am PT by Eriq Gardner
"Crowdfunded 'Star Trek' Movie Draws Lawsuit from Paramount, CBS"

Paramount and CBS, represented by attorneys at Loeb & Loeb, are now demanding an injunction as well as damages for direct, contributory and vicarious copyright infringement. Although the plaintiffs have allowed ample cosplaying over the years and even permitted other derivatives like amateur "Star Trek" shows to circulate, the lawsuit illustrates that there is a place where no man has gone before, where the entertainment studios are not willing to let be occupied: crowdfunded, professional-quality films that use copyrighted "elements" like Vulcans and Klingons, Federation starships, phasers and stuff like the "look and feel of the planet, the characters’ costumes, their pointy ears and their distinctive hairstyle."

Paramount and CBS gave us this joint statement after the posting of our original article: "'Star Trek' is a treasured franchise in which CBS and Paramount continue to produce new original content for its large universe of fans. The producers of 'Axanar' are making a 'Star Trek' picture they describe themselves as a fully professional independent 'Star Trek' film. Their activity clearly violates our 'Star Trek' copyrights, which, of course, we will continue to vigorously protect."

Source:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-es ... aws-851474
"Fortune favors the audacious" -- Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus (October 28, 1466 – July 12, 1536)
Triton
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Gazomg » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:04 pm

shower of bastards cbs are

MANIPULATIONS ON MY SITE - 1730 - February 22nd-2018
Gazomg
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Triton » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:02 pm

The Four Years War: Prelude to Axanar

Triton
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Triton » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:05 pm

Vulcan scene from Star Trek: Axanar

Triton
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Gazomg » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:06 pm

Gazomg
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Triton » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:29 pm

Gazomg wrote:shower of bastards cbs are

Gazomg wrote:shower of bastards cbs are

Star Trek: Axanar is the upcoming Star Trek film that I most want to see, not Star Trek Beyond. I don't believe that I am unique in that sentiment. With improvements in technology, the production quality of Star Trek fan films are beginning to rival the films produced by CBS and Paramount Pictures. The special effects by Tobias Richter of The Light Works and the sound design by Mark Edward Lewis exceed anything that we have seen in Star Trek: Remastered or Star Trek: Enterprise. Alec Peters even recruited professional actors, many of whom have previously appeared in Star Trek, for his prelude fan film: Richard Hatch, J. G. Hertzler, Gary Graham, Kate Vernon, and Tony Todd. All this with a budget of $80,000 and the donation of time by volunteers, many of whom are professionals in television and motion pictures.

Unfortunately Tony Todd has left the production of the Star Trek: Axanar feature and Garrett Wang has joined the cast. Then Alec Peters raised over $1 million dollars on Kickstarter and Indiegogo. As incentives for donations to help finance the film, Peters is offering model kits, t-shirts, illustrated screen plays, patches, soundtrack CDs, and Blu-Ray discs of the finished film as gifts based on the dollars donated. It could be argued that Peters has crossed the line of a fan production. Is Peters selling merchandise to help finance the film? Is he selling the finished film on Blu-Ray? Does he intend to create a studio-quality product that is a competitor to the Star Trek television programs and feature films produced by CBS and Paramount Pictures? I would say yes to all three of these questions. CBS and Paramount Pictures have to sue Peters for infringement to protect their copyrights and trademarks. If CBS and Paramount Pictures do not adequately defend their copyrights and trademarks, Star Trek could fall into the public domain.
Triton
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Michael » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:14 pm

Paramount has on several occasions over the years, gotten it's collective panties in a bunch over fan produced works. Usually, they take a deep breath and realize those fans are the same people they want to watch their shows and movies, and they back down.

I don't think Peters was doing anything different from the other fan films, except the crowdfunding side of it. But as long as he can show the money was being used for producing the fan film, and wasn't going into his or any other individual's pocket, his lawyer should be able to make a good argument in court that Paramount has been allowing fan productions and fan works for decades, thus giving up their rights in this regard.

Of course, if the case goes before a judge in LA, the judgment will likely be in favor of Paramount.

If anyone at Paramount had any brains, they'd make a deal allowing Peters to finish his project, but under Paramount's banner, giving the studio the right to profit from sales of DVDs and other Axanar items. But I don't know if the studio is that smart.
-Michael Gray
"In Great Deeds Something Abides"
Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Postby amehatrekkie » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:45 am

They're just jealous that Axanar is better quality and more popular than their nuTrek crap. Simple as that. I don't intend to spend money on Star Trek Beyond, I didn't on nuTWOK either.
Ahmie K-[ay][aka Adam Kriegel], Captain of the Department of Weird yea i'm weird
STPMA WORLDBUILDING EXPERT[ RIP MJ!!] Normal people scare meAging is inevitable, maturity is optional
https://imgur.com/a/bUvNm
amehatrekkie
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

Postby Gazomg » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:40 pm

same here, will watch it though but only when i can download it for free, not paying a penny towards it

Gazomg
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Triton » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:44 pm

I believed this video was interesting:

Published on Oct 8, 2014

Sound designer, Mark Edward Lewis, takes you on a behind-the-scenes journey to learn how the sound effects of Star Trek: Axanar are created.

Triton
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Triton » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:46 pm

Triton
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Triton » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:57 pm

Triton
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Bry_Sinclair » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:52 am

This is a total bugger to hear. Axanar looked to be a great project, one I was eagerly looking forward too (far more than NuTrek 3).

We could try and look at this far more optimistically though. Maybe they've been asked to cease production because Star Trek 2017 is going to be based on the Four Years War and this fan production is going to be used as the basis of it :D
Avatar: Captain Reihyn, Commanding Officer, U.S.S. Orion (circa 2375)
Artist: FltCpt. Bossco
Bry_Sinclair
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Triton » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:34 pm

Posting this article for discussion purposes.

"'Axanar' Will Ruin Fan Trek For Everyone"
by Michael Hinman
Jan 02, 2015

Source:
http://1701news.com/node/980/axanar-wil ... ryone.html
Triton
Commodore
Commodore

Next

Return to Star Trek Related