Star Trek Beyond - No Spoilers

Star Trek related discussion, information, links, etc.

Moderator: Dancyer McCoy

Forum rules
For those who haven't noticed the Forum Rules have been revised. It might be a good idea to take a look at them if you haven't read them for awhile. You'll find them in the Forum Rules forum at the top of the index page.
jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Star Trek Beyond - No Spoilers

Post by jayphailey » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:37 am

Tonight, I took my daughter and son in law to see Star Trek Beyond

This will be a spoiler free review.

This film is very much the Swashbucking roller coaster the other two were.

The film moves very well. Two hours flew by in a rush.

I strongly recommend seeing this one in the Theater.

Tom said he saw the punchline coming a mile away. I didn't so much.

But it also has two subversive elements in it, (Although they are more subtle than the one in Star Trek Into Darkness) along with good dialog, character arcs and interesting stuff.

I am waffling between an A- and a B+

I am sort of inured to the "Oh, come on" moments that we see in action movies these days. The heroes are supernaturally durable and damage resistant.

Some one less forgiving might find it harder to just roll with it.

I am also rolling it around my mental palate. ST:ID and ST:B have to slide their subversive points in under cover, they have to fan dance them in around action and crazyness.

But....

A film has to entertain first. If it has any message past "This is where this character is at the start and here he is at the finish", it simply cannot afford to club you in the head with it. Doing so makes the film anvilicious.

We've known this since Shakespeare and Dumas.

But, recent films like The Hunger Games and Harry Potter have been much more clear about just what they are talking about. And it didn't seem to cost them any money

On the other hand ST '09 makes it really clear. Paramount wants a space action franchise and you can keep all your noodling about prime directives and war is bad to yourself.

So all three films fit the evident Paramount formula for a Star Trek film.

ST:ID and ST:B seem to have their adrenaline crazed insanity come much more organically. The conflicts are understandable and relatable, unlike Nero, or any Big Bad from the TNG movies, who were just evil for the sake of being evil. The Borg Queen's evil was long established. The Borg assimilate. Its just what they do.

But All the rest? stupidly insane people who's evil didn't really stand up under scrutiny.

So... does the Big Bad in ST:B exceed the previous ones?

Well, I said no spoilers. So you'll have to go see for yourself.

-*-

I went and saw this one because ST:ID sold me the ticket. I liked ST:ID enough to come back for ST:B

I liked this one well enough, so that it sold me the ticket for the next one.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bry_Sinclair
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Re: Star Trek Beyond - No Spoilers

Post by Bry_Sinclair » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:05 am

I'm off to see it on Saturday.

Though I am not a fan of NuTrek, I need to seem them at least once so I can pass judgement and comment on them. At least there are no unnecessary, gratuitous underwear shots in the trailer.
Avatar: Captain Reihyn, Commanding Officer, U.S.S. Orion (circa 2375)
Artist: FltCpt. Bossco

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by captainuniverse » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:46 pm

I haven't seen it yet. I like to see it for the same reasons as Bry. I'm just waiting until my fiance has some time off from work so both of us can see it.
"All of Time and Space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?"

"Geronimo!"

Thanks to FltCpt. Bossco for my Tattok avatar. This is Tattok when he assumed the position of Commander-in-Chief, Starfleet in the year 2411.

amehatrekkie
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

Post by amehatrekkie » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:13 pm

i'm ambivalent about watching.....i will eventually, but i don't want to pay for it.

i watched ST-ID download and will probably watch STB the same way
Ahmie K-[ay][aka Adam Kriegel], Captain of the Department of Weird yea i'm weird
STPMA WORLDBUILDING EXPERT[ RIP MJ!!] Normal people scare meAging is inevitable, maturity is optional
https://imgur.com/a/bUvNm

Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Post by Michael » Mon May 08, 2017 9:22 pm

I just saw this one. Much to my surprise, it was better than I had expected.

It's got the frantic action of the first two, though less lensflares, but this one seemed to have more heart to it. I think that's due to the involvement of Simon Pegg as one of the writers. He's a Trek fan, and he seemed to put some effort into getting the characters more right than they had been in the previous two films.

I'm not going to rehash all the Nu-Trek criticisms. I find it best to view these films as very expensive fan films, done in their own version of Trek. And on that basis, I enjoyed it. I liked the interactions between Spock and McCoy, the choices being made by Kirk and Spock about their futures, and the general tone of the movie. I liked that Scotty got more involvement than he did in the previous two films.

I also liked the references back to Enterprise and Ambassador Spock's past.

I wished they had spent a bit more time on the Starbase, showing the crew in their downtime, especially Sulu and his family. I think they missed a real opportunity to give Sulu some dramatic weight given his family was in peril in the third act.

I'd give it a B+ overall.
-Michael Gray
"In Great Deeds Something Abides"

Gazomg
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Gazomg » Tue May 09, 2017 12:16 pm

I enjoyed it, mainly because I have little love for "nu trek" and expected it to be utter shit like the previous 2, so with that in mind my levels of expectation were lower and I decided to watch it as a stand alone type of sci fi movie and it was good for what it was.

As you say michael, crisper, cleaner, better writing, no flares and more a proper film.
Still not my type of trek, but certainly an improvement on the 2 prior
MANIPULATIONS ON MY SITE - 2063 - NOVEMBER 13th

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Post by jayphailey » Thu May 18, 2017 3:10 pm

Sadly, it didn't do as well as the previous two. I fear Paramount will learn the wrong lesson from this one.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." - Ralph Waldo Emerson