Second Romulan Isolation

Star Trek related discussion, information, links, etc.

Moderator: Dancyer McCoy

Forum rules
For those who haven't noticed the Forum Rules have been revised. It might be a good idea to take a look at them if you haven't read them for awhile. You'll find them in the Forum Rules forum at the top of the index page.
Lionheart
Command Master Chief Petty Officer
Command Master Chief Petty Officer

Second Romulan Isolation

Post by Lionheart » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:15 pm

I've never bought into the Romulan disappearing behind the Neutral Zone for 53 years. A major player in two Quadrants of the galaxy just doesn't pack its bags and leave the stage, regardless of what the Tomed Incident was.

Canon Incidents:
* 2344 - Attack on Narenda III
* 2346 - Attack on Khitomer
* 2349 - Stefan DeSeve defects with enough knowledge and contacts to make it across the Neutral Zone. And then he shows back up in a Romulan Star Navy uniform.
* pre-2364 - Admiral Jarok's Norkan campaign.
"What is life? It is the flash of the firefly at night, it is the breath of the moose in winter. It is the shadow which runs along the grass and loses itself in the sunset." - First Nation Quote

Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Re: Second Romulan Isolation

Post by Michael » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:45 pm

Lionheart wrote:I've never bought into the Romulan disappearing behind the Neutral Zone for 53 years. A major player in two Quadrants of the galaxy just doesn't pack its bags and leave the stage, regardless of what the Tomed Incident was.
I could see them doing so if they were dealing with a major internal problem--- a Civil War, or a plague, or something similar. Or if there was some external threat on their border opposite the Federation. But I agree, I don't see a one time event with the Federation sending them into hiding.
-Michael Gray
"In Great Deeds Something Abides"

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:17 pm

It's entirely possible the Romulans never left. Their cloaking device is superior to that of the Klingons, after all. Perhaps they retained a presence in or near the Neutral Zone for decades, occasionally testing Starfleet's defenses along the border, and content so long as Federation technology seemed unable to detect them. For all we know, centuries from that point in time, when the Romulan Empire is a part of the Federation and their military annals from the period are declassified, it will become common knowledge that the Romulans conducted extensive reconnaissance throughout the Federation during the decades of their supposed isolation, wholly unnoticed.
"Much of [Philip] Pullman’s (and [Richard] Dawkins’) reputation for being intelligent seems to be based largely on the reflexive American tendency to regard a British accent as conferring extra IQ points. Whenever these men speak about matters outside their narrow field of competence, they are complete ninnies and ignorami." – Mark Shea

Bry_Sinclair
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Post by Bry_Sinclair » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:31 am

Their isolationism seems directed at the Federation, their imperial expansion and military campaigns are directed at the Klingons.
Avatar: Captain Reihyn, Commanding Officer, U.S.S. Orion (circa 2375)
Artist: FltCpt. Bossco