Login |  Register |  FAQ

Forum rules

For those who haven't noticed the Forum Rules have been revised. It might be a good idea to take a look at them if you haven't read them for awhile. You'll find them in the Forum Rules forum at the top of the index page.

Second Romulan Isolation

Post subject: Second Romulan Isolation
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:15 pm 
Command Master Chief Petty Officer
Command Master Chief Petty Officer

I've never bought into the Romulan disappearing behind the Neutral Zone for 53 years. A major player in two Quadrants of the galaxy just doesn't pack its bags and leave the stage, regardless of what the Tomed Incident was.

Canon Incidents:
* 2344 - Attack on Narenda III
* 2346 - Attack on Khitomer
* 2349 - Stefan DeSeve defects with enough knowledge and contacts to make it across the Neutral Zone. And then he shows back up in a Romulan Star Navy uniform.
* pre-2364 - Admiral Jarok's Norkan campaign.

Post subject: Re: Second Romulan Isolation
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:45 pm 
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Lionheart wrote:
I've never bought into the Romulan disappearing behind the Neutral Zone for 53 years. A major player in two Quadrants of the galaxy just doesn't pack its bags and leave the stage, regardless of what the Tomed Incident was.

I could see them doing so if they were dealing with a major internal problem--- a Civil War, or a plague, or something similar. Or if there was some external threat on their border opposite the Federation. But I agree, I don't see a one time event with the Federation sending them into hiding.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:17 pm 
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

It's entirely possible the Romulans never left. Their cloaking device is superior to that of the Klingons, after all. Perhaps they retained a presence in or near the Neutral Zone for decades, occasionally testing Starfleet's defenses along the border, and content so long as Federation technology seemed unable to detect them. For all we know, centuries from that point in time, when the Romulan Empire is a part of the Federation and their military annals from the period are declassified, it will become common knowledge that the Romulans conducted extensive reconnaissance throughout the Federation during the decades of their supposed isolation, wholly unnoticed.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:31 am 
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Their isolationism seems directed at the Federation, their imperial expansion and military campaigns are directed at the Klingons.