Why the Borg don't just attack in force

Star Trek related discussion, information, links, etc.

Moderator: Dancyer McCoy

Forum rules
For those who haven't noticed the Forum Rules have been revised. It might be a good idea to take a look at them if you haven't read them for awhile. You'll find them in the Forum Rules forum at the top of the index page.
JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Why the Borg don't just attack in force

Post by JM1776 » Wed May 10, 2017 8:42 am

At another website, this question was asked:
Why did the Borg not send two cube ships when the Federation only narrowly defeats one (after all, they appear to have plenty)?

In the movie Star Trek: First Contact, the Borg send one cube ship to destroy Earth/The Federation. Since they have plenty of ships, as shown in the Voyager episode "Endgame", why not simply send two or more since the Federation struggles so much with one cube?

They could easily just send a few cubes and then a large amount of space would come under their control along with the Federation's technology and manpower as they assimilate the citizens.
I responded thus:

The various explanations about logistics are, when examined, ultimately specious. The difference between one and two cubes, when you have the immense resources the Borg Collective has at its disposal, is negligible.

There are only three explanations that really make sense.

One: The Borg are trying to fatten up humanity. By sending only one cube, they force the Federation to grow stronger and more resourceful. Then, when the Borg come en masse, the “meal” will be far more nutritious and satisfying. Perhaps there are civilizations all over the galaxy that the Borg handle in this fashion … and all of them think they’re “special” for resisting the Borg—until dinner time, that is.

Two: The various godlike entities in the galaxy—the Q, the Organians, the Metrons, the Douwd, et alii—all of whom are so far beyond the Borg in power that they could easily obliterate the entire collective with a single determined thought (as a Douwd did to the Husnak), are not allowing the Borg to come at the Federation en masse, for reasons of their own. Perhaps they see potential in humanity that they don’t wish the Borg to ruin via complete assimilation.

Three: The Borg are afraid for/of humanity. They sense, somehow, that mankind holds the key to their survival and evolution/defeat and destruction, but assimilating individual humans hasn’t done the trick. So they’re carefully studying the problem, one cube and/or a few humans at a time, trying to figure out what makes us special, and knowing that assimilating us seems to destroy or at least suppress it.

I think the Borg are an evolutionary dead end, in that what they want is ultimately beyond their comprehension, because it’s not physical, but rather metaphysical. They can continue to absorb information from various cultures, societies and civilizations, but by assimilating them and suppressing their individuality and creativity, they’re killing the very spark that would eventually enable them to transcend their physical limitations and evolve into beings who need no physical form to survive. They’re their own worst enemy.

The Borg are the Tower of Babel personified. No matter how high they build, they’ll never reach Heaven.
You don't put bumper stickers on Ferraris. You don't put graffiti on a church. By the same ironclad reasoning, you don't put a tattoo on a beautiful woman.

Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Re: Why the Borg don't just attack in force

Post by Michael » Wed May 10, 2017 6:10 pm

JM1776 wrote:Three: The Borg are afraid for/of humanity. They sense, somehow, that mankind holds the key to their survival and evolution/defeat and destruction, but assimilating individual humans hasn’t done the trick. So they’re carefully studying the problem, one cube and/or a few humans at a time, trying to figure out what makes us special, and knowing that assimilating us seems to destroy or at least suppress it.
Number three appeals to me the most. The Borg appear to be cautious when it comes to humanity. If there is indeed some quality in humans they wish to assimilate, and if as you suggest that quality gets lost in assimilation, they wouldn't want to ruin the entire species until they found a way to preserve that quality.

But I also like what you suggest in number two. It could be the Borg have been given "rules" for their marauding behavior by the more advanced beings in the Galaxy similar to those given to the Federation and Klingons by the Organians.

Another possibility I would suggest is we may not yet truly understand the goals of the Borg. Given their abilities, and the vast intellectual capacity of the collective, they may be far more advanced than has yet been portrayed. I'm not suggesting they might be at a level comparable to that of the Q, or the Organians, or the Douwd, or the Metrons, but if they are one or two steps below those beings, their goals might be more complex than we think.
-Michael Gray
"In Great Deeds Something Abides"

Jpatten
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jpatten » Tue May 23, 2017 10:15 am

Of course, it could be much simpler. THe Galay is a HUGE place and they are spread all over the place to assimilate as much as they can as fast as they can and they just haven't pulled it all together to make a fleet yet. Plus despite their ability to learn they have never needed to attack en masse and thus don't think of it or discount it as unneeded waste of resources.
I don't know half you half as well as I'd like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
--KN4BMP

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Wed May 24, 2017 8:16 am

That doesn't necessarily qualify as "simpler".

In addition, we've seen Borg fleets before.
You don't put bumper stickers on Ferraris. You don't put graffiti on a church. By the same ironclad reasoning, you don't put a tattoo on a beautiful woman.