My current fear for Discovery

Star Trek related discussion, information, links, etc.

Moderator: Dancyer McCoy

Forum rules
For those who haven't noticed the Forum Rules have been revised. It might be a good idea to take a look at them if you haven't read them for awhile. You'll find them in the Forum Rules forum at the top of the index page.
Gazomg
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

My current fear for Discovery

Post by Gazomg » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:04 pm

Is that this abomination of a show based on what I have seen so far will not only make me hate it, I would be concerned it will kill any future people from developing an interest in the past shows.

It was bad those alternate timeline movies sucked, but at least i could tell myself there were just that..movies and convince myself they had nothing to do with the canon trek, but this discovery so far looks atrocious.

Canon seems to be fucked out the window, after finally sorting some semblance to the change from the TOS klingons they went and screwed with that again.
Its like some tv writers who never saw an episode of star trek decided to rape the franchise.
My only hope now is not if it will be bad, but how bad will it be.
MANIPULATIONS ON MY SITE - 1918 - AUGUST 14th

Bry_Sinclair
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Re: My current fear for Discovery

Post by Bry_Sinclair » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:33 pm

The more that is released from Discovery the more I feel disheartened.

Even the ship seems to have been screwed up now; why put huge holes in your saucer? On a vessel with limited space why restrict it even more with a ridiculous design feature!

I'll watch it, with a very low level of expectations, and if it is shite lock it away in the same universe as NuTrek and Enterprise and forget the lot!
Avatar: Captain Reihyn, Commanding Officer, U.S.S. Orion (circa 2375)
Artist: FltCpt. Bossco

Gazomg
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Post by Gazomg » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:49 pm

Made the exact post elsewhere on another forum and the nazi cunts all nearly had a stroke and mods locked the thread.

Like the abrams shit movies, the fact a member could dare criticize trek is abhorrent to them.
I remember when the trek movies came out these same retarded fuckwads were clambering out of their holes to defend the movies like they were then personally offended.

As for discovery, I truly hope I am wrong but fear I won't be.
All those who complained about enterprise and its settings must now think surely Enterprise was perfect in comparison.
No matter how discovery turns out it does seem canon is hardly a priority, the klingons look has been fucked up.

The only thing I can comfort myself with is to this day I have only ever seen the first eleven episodes of the original series, and been keeping the rest for the future to enjoy, as i have watched ds9 in its entirety 8 or 9 times over the years, voyager, enterprise and TNG around 5 times each.

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:17 pm

Gazomg wrote:...nazi cunts...
:[]]

I'm not sure it's possible to concentrate more vitriol into two words than you did above. Vulgar, but accurate.

I have few expectations for Discovery. I wager, though, that the predominant reason there's been such a crackdown on fan films is TPTB realize how creative the Trek community is, and grew terrified of such labors of love partly if not entirely putting their new series to shame.

Will it surpass Star Trek Continues? Will it make us forget the dream that was Axanar?

Will it even hold our attention?

I have my doubts.
You don't put bumper stickers on Ferraris. You don't put graffiti on a church. By the same ironclad reasoning, you don't put a tattoo on a beautiful woman.

Gazomg
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Post by Gazomg » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:56 pm

I only watched pieces of Star trek continues and was not my cup of tea as they say.

I made numerous comments on fan productions in general in the past elsewhere which caused uproar , with me having the audacity to voice my own opinion on the quality or lack off, but never questioned those peoples passion and love.
Needless to say the herds of sheep who claim everyone has the right to an opinion are not as quick to believe it when someone else's opinion does not match theirs.
To be honest upsetting sheep is an added bonus, and seeing them try to avoid my posts always brings a smile to my face. I say the things I do as I truly believe it not to troll as some might believe.

Axanar was the exception to the rule for me. It was the first fan production I really was anticipating, Prelude was awesome.
I will obviously give Discovery a chance, the uniforms etc are minor things when major issues like canon and the klingons are far more worrying.

I had reservations about Enterprise with Baluka, but nothing like this.
As for the abrams movies, I simply don't class them as Trek.

Bry_Sinclair
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Post by Bry_Sinclair » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:06 pm

This is part of the reason I love STPMA, you can voice an opinion and not have to defend yourself as though your on trial for crimes against Trekdom.

Gazomg
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Post by Gazomg » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:09 am

Bry_Sinclair wrote:This is part of the reason I love STPMA, you can voice an opinion and not have to defend yourself as though your on trial for crimes against Trekdom.

sadly it happens in most things, being it football, darts, star,trek music, some people cannot accept others might have an opinion that differs, and even thats ok,
Its when threads get locked , or people get accused of trolling simply because it does not conform then it really irks me.

i remember how sceptical I was of Enterprise and did not like it at the time, just never took Bakula serious, maybe he lacked gravitas or whatever, but years later I enjoy that show and has grown on me like a wart since.

I have even watched some of the abrams movies and found parts in those I enjoyed but always in the back of my mind its like its a different and complete genre,

Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Post by Michael » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:37 pm

Bry_Sinclair wrote:This is part of the reason I love STPMA, you can voice an opinion and not have to defend yourself as though your on trial for crimes against Trekdom.
Nah... we save the trial for crimes against Trekdom for topics like the size of the Federation...

I AM KIDDING!!! :mrgreen: [-o<

Just a friendly reminder... Differing opinions are okay. But attacks against other forum members are not.

Carry on.
-Michael Gray
"In Great Deeds Something Abides"

Gazomg
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Post by Gazomg » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:26 pm

I was not referring to any one person, and certainly not on here but the general consensus elsewhere when a negative opinion on discovery or the abrams movies.

The "you must not be a trek fan then" attitude as if their opinions are more valid than others.

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:37 pm

Michael wrote:Nah... we save the trial for crimes against Trekdom for topics like the size of the Federation....
"Mikey ... don't make come down there!"
You don't put bumper stickers on Ferraris. You don't put graffiti on a church. By the same ironclad reasoning, you don't put a tattoo on a beautiful woman.

Lionheart
Command Master Chief Petty Officer
Command Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by Lionheart » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:48 am

Michael wrote:
Nah... we save the trial for crimes against Trekdom for topics like the size of the Federation...

I AM KIDDING!!! :mrgreen: [-o<

Just a friendly reminder... Differing opinions are okay. But attacks against other forum members are not.

Carry on.
Or the number of ships in Starfleet...

Back on topic...
I've seen little to interest me in this new series, and plenty to infuriate me:

1.) The design of this ship doesn't look like anything else in the Fleet at the time we've seen, such as the Constitution, Antares or Daedalus class.

2.) I was wondering if they'd acknowledge Enterprise being out ins space at the same time, and what we get is one of the character's is Spock's until now unknown 1/2 sister?!

3.) I have to pay for a streaming service to watch this :JD

4.) I'm not going to speak of the "Klingons"
"What is life? It is the flash of the firefly at night, it is the breath of the moose in winter. It is the shadow which runs along the grass and loses itself in the sunset." - First Nation Quote

Gazomg
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Post by Gazomg » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:44 pm

On the issue of the ship, I remember the criticisms of enterprise, which lets be fair they were in a predictament when they had to make something good but at the same time look less advanced than the tos 60s show ship.

I think overall enterprise did well, so the new discovery ship has kind of a similar problem and ideally the ship should look like a cross of the nx and the original tos enterprise.

I am gonna skip the Klingons as I could go for paragraphs

sirus
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by sirus » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:31 am

Personally I see this undercurrent building up to Axanar, the Planet not the Web Show. Though he's being called "Gabriel Lorrca" right now, I get the feeling Gabriel is not his real name and he might be from the Planet Izar. I know people have talked about it, but it feels a lot like they are prepping for another failed John Harrison reveal. It's the sort of thing that I think if they came out and said it, we might even get hyped, but they seem to think the "shock" reveal is better.

Now as for the ship, it's not the exterior design that annoys me, it's the interior. I think it looks nothing like it should and as a prequel it fails miserably in that regard.

I won't say to much about the Klingons, but I do want to say that the Klingons have been redesigned before. The thing is the design lasted from 1979-2002 and we have not seen this design since. Star Trek Into Darkness redesigned the Klingons, but it looked like a one off design (similar to what they did to the Caitians). And now there is a new design again. I mean I don't understand them using the Klingons at all... Unless this is all building up to Axanar.

And one friendly reminder that Star Trek Discovery was said to be about "an event in Star Trek history that's been talked about but never been explored" and all evidence at this moment is that Jason Isaacs will be playing a man from Izar and this will be about a moment in the Klingon War that happened that broke that man, which is why he cannot be our POV character, so instead his first officer will be. So CBS sunk Axanar so they could do their own version of it, a pity then that their version doesn't look like it will be as faithful as the fan version was set to be...

Axanar is dead, long live Axanar
From ignorance lead me to truth
From darkness lead me to light
From death lead me to immortality

ryjuda.deviantart.com

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:14 pm

sirus wrote:...CBS sunk Axanar so they could do their own version of it...
And out of mortal terror that the fans' version would put theirs to shame.

Bry_Sinclair
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Post by Bry_Sinclair » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:56 am

I actually liked the original design of the U.S.S. Discovery, when the first teaser was released many moons ago. Now though...not so much, it's been fiddled with too much for no real reason.

The "Klingons" are awful, just awful. I'm not sure what ones I dislike more, the Disclingons or the Blingons.

As for Axanar, when I heard what the time period was for the new show then that was my first thought. The studio had sunk it because that's what their show was going to focus on. Comparing the Discovery trailers to the Prelude to Axanar short, I know which one I'd want to invest time into. I think everyone can guess which one I'd opt for :D