Login |  Register |  FAQ

Forum rules

For those who haven't noticed the Forum Rules have been revised. It might be a good idea to take a look at them if you haven't read them for awhile. You'll find them in the Forum Rules forum at the top of the index page.

Brief thoughts on Star Trek: Discovery, Episode One

Post subject: Brief thoughts on Star Trek: Discovery, Episode One
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:20 am 
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Spoiler:
1. Thought the protagonist an insufferable Mary Sue smarty-pants.
2. Could not comprehend why there was no translation from the Klingon, unless the ultimate goal was to frustrate and bore the audience.
3. Found Michelle Yeoh's voice contained a bit too much Elmer Fudd for my taste. I've never noticed it when watching her before.
4. Disliked the design aesthetic for the various ships.
5. Not sure why these aliens needed to be labeled Klingons.
6. Insubordination, assaulting a superior officer, mutiny ... and we're still in episode one!

Interesting that she's a human raised on Vulcan as a prominent Vulcan's ward, and Michelle Yeoh's in the cast. Starting to think someone used to read Liberty (since both were found first over a decade-and-a-half ago therein) ... but didn't get much out of it.

Post subject: Re: Brief thoughts on Star Trek: Discovery, Episode One
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:35 am 
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Well? No one else has an opinion they'd like to express?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:47 am 
--------Da Sib-------- Moderator
--------Da Sib-------- Moderator

First ep was boring and ended as a 'cliff hanger.' I wouldn't order that access channel just based on this.

I live in my own little world, but it's OK ... they know me here.

“Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.” Albert Einstein

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” - Dr. Seuss

Festina Lente

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:38 pm 
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

I won't order the access channel anyway. I'll not be held over a black hole because CBS has badly misjudged the appeal of shitty Star Trek. There are other ways to see the series, if it even proves worth bothering over.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:07 pm 
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

I sat down to watch episode one but less than 5 minutes in I had to get a notepad to scribble down issues/nitpicks:

The Klingons look even worse than they did in the trailers, in large groups it's made even worse

Our introduction to the crew is on a mission that violates non-interference in the natural development of a species (Starfleet doesn't go around solving all the natural disasters of pre-warp planets so they they'll have a chance to flourish, otherwise they'd get no exploring done at all, for all they know the species struggle to survive against the odds is what propels them forward faster than anything else--it may sound harsh but it's non-interference for a reason)

If they have a map why not beam down to the exact co-ordinates?

The ship can't pick up two life-signs but can somehow see a pattern made in the sand by them walking? If they're operating solely with optical sensors why not just fire the rifle until it attracts attention?

The intro was very bland and the music was uninspired, basically just ripping off TOS but making it worse than "Faith Of The Heart"

The episode title is very weak

Michelle Yeoh is only down as a special guest star and doesn't look to be a series regular

The warp effects are hellish

The sets and overall designs are far too advanced for mid-23rd century, including the blingy uniforms

Are there robots on the bridge?!

Overly complex airlock, all you need is two doors--it works on every other sci-fi series so stop trying to show off

Why not send a controlled probe instead of an officer in an EVA suit?

Vulcans come off as cruel (essentially torturing Michael by making her relive the memories of her parents' deaths, Vulcans understand the impact and sway emotions have, they almost drove their world to annihilation before they imposed their mental discipline and control, they have feelings and know how strong they are which is why they've pursued a doctrine of suppression, it doesn't make them unfeeling to others, especially a child who doesn't have the mental fortitude to impose such controls)

Sickbay comes across as a damned computer centre

No one has seen a Klingon in 100 years? Yeah don't buy that. Had it been the Romulans I could go with it as they were in the midst of the first period of isolation at the time--but by the time of TOS no one had (knowingly) seen a Romulan before

Since when did Klingon's have a caste system?

A cowardly alien second officer who somehow made it through the Academy's psych evaluations and training to rise to his rank and position even though all he seems to want to do is run and hide?

Klingons with cloaking devices before their alliance with the Romulans?

Hideous ship designs for the Klingons

The (assumed) comm officer asking others if there's any chance the Klingons can't hear them--know your damned job!

Holo-communicators? What's wrong with a normal screen?

The apparent distrust and ultimate mutiny on the bridge just doesn't make it feel like the crew had been together 7 years, in all that time there would be strong bonds of trust and faith in one another's abilities, so that chances would be taken solely on how well they know one another

After the serious disappointment that was the pilot episode I had very little interest in seeing the second, it didn't grab or motivate me enough in order to want to see how they got out of it (still haven't either and can't say I'm missing out even though some have said Ep2 is better).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:27 pm 
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

I have the problems with Discovery as the rest of you.

"Geronimo!"

Thanks to FltCpt. Bossco for my Tattok avatar. This is Tattok when he assumed the position of Commander-in-Chief, Starfleet in the year 2411.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:33 am 
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Bry_Sinclair wrote:
Michelle Yeoh is only down as a special guest star and doesn't look to be a series regular

This one actually pleases me, for selfish reasons.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:11 am 
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Uh ... yeah.

I agree with most if not all of Bry's observations, and would have included more of my own above, if I'd even bothered to write them down. I'd already mercifully forgotten much of what I'd seen until rereading about it here. I fully understand why someone would seethe and scribble furiously, the better to share with his/her fellow disgruntled fans; and I appreciate those insights, the better to know that it's not just me.

I simply don't care enough anymore. My indifference won out over expressing indignation at length over another colossal misstep by those who control Star Trek. When resignation has already set in twenty minutes into a two-hour premiere, you know that (at least for you) it's likely over.

I have not watched Star Trek into Darkness or Star Trek Beyond (which is why you've never heard me critique either even superficially); it's possible I never shall. I must now consider ignoring Discovery as it begins its run, too.

It doesn't help that I took an almost instant dislike to the lead character. (Let's see how long it takes someone to inform me that I'm a sexist/racist/misogynist/bigot longing for the return of white male privilege.) Frankly, I think they're wasting Sonequa Martin-Green, who's too talented an actress for this caricature of competence.

An aside: Michelle Yeoh is listed at IMDB as having appeared in 15 episodes, so ... perhaps she's going to be the flashback queen.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:32 pm 
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

JM1776 wrote:
I have not watched Star Trek into Darkness or Star Trek Beyond (which is why you've never heard me critique either even superficially); it's possible I never shall. I must now consider ignoring Discovery as it begins its run, too.

Lucky you. When I watched STID I audibly groaned with disgust several times in the cinema. I can honestly say I will never watch it again. Beyond is better by comparison, but that's not difficult.

JM1776 wrote:
It doesn't help that I took an almost instant dislike to the lead character. (Let's see how long it takes someone to inform me that I'm a sexist/racist/misogynist/bigot longing for the return of white male privilege.) Frankly, I think they're wasting Sonequa Martin-Green, who's too talented an actress for this caricature of competence.

She really is wasted here. Shame.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:25 am 
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I haven't commented here sooner as I have commented elsewhere, but I have seen both episodes. I saw part one and part two of whatever the hell that was. It wasn't Star Trek and there was no starship called Discovery in sight. So it was nothing. It broke my one Star Trek rule when it comes to narratives and I can't remember if it happened in the first or second half, but I think the idea of someone being blown/sucked into space is not only horrific in it's own right, I think it has no place in Star Trek as a whole, especially after the person makes the statement "we're explorers, not soldiers."

On another note I must say again that I am glad to see Star Trek back on TV, even if it is on Fox. Discovery is a stain on Trek for me because now it has invaded every space I used to go for Star Trek and it brings me nothing but anger and resentment. I hate it for that. JJ Trek brought in some fans who quickly began to seek out more Star Trek and there was a big boom for a bit of new fans watching TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY & even ENT, so I can't hate it. I have seen the movies and I mostly ignore them.

But this...

In the first minutes they violate the PD. The new main lead gives us info about a coming storm down to the second and is horribly wrong. She acts like how people seem to think Vulcans act, at least those who know very little about them. It is implied that she has been on the ship for 7 years and came directly from Vulcan. In the flashback when she arrived she does not do so in uniform which leads me to think she was not even fresh from the academy. Then as first officer she has a pissing match with the science officer on the bridge. She is small minded and petty. Call me racist, call me sexist, call me whatever. She sucks as a Starfleet officer.

To top it off the whole concept of a Vulcan Hello insults me even more. One ship is destroyed and from then on it's shoot first and ask question later? This is not logical at all. Vulcan ships are ridiculously fast and stupid strong. Even in ENT the Klingons did not stand a chance against a Vulcan cruiser. Also sucker punches are not honorable, and that's what the Vulcan Hello is. It's a sucker punch, something that I don't see the Vulcans doing or the Klingons tolerating. I think this would have caused open hostilities between them, not a peaceful outcome.

I have seen everything Star Trek to date. The good, the bad, the stupid. But this... This makes me wonder if I can go on. I almost want to take a break and leave this fandom for awhile because of it. It angers me so. I just don't know.

Anyway, I have tried hard not to cuss in this post, but I will add this final thing and forgive my language, but I have no other words for my pure vitriol at this show.

Fuck this show. God damn it for what it's done to the franchise I love. It is a true STD, I can tell because there is a burning sensation on my Trek.

ryjuda.deviantart.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:37 pm 
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

I'm watching episode three now.

I'm really not diggin' this show.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:03 pm 
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

have not watched it yet but have downloaded the first 3 episodes and will watch the first eight on a binge watch when the time arrives