Asked for my brief critique of Discovery

Star Trek related discussion, information, links, etc.

Moderator: Dancyer McCoy

Forum rules
For those who haven't noticed the Forum Rules have been revised. It might be a good idea to take a look at them if you haven't read them for awhile. You'll find them in the Forum Rules forum at the top of the index page.
JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Asked for my brief critique of Discovery

Post by JM1776 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:07 am

Answered thus:
You have every right to enjoy/be entertained by this series and think it’s “great”. People like what they like. (Why we like certain things I’ll leave to the psychologists.)

If, however, you think Discovery is great Star Trek, well …

The term I use for both it and Abrams-Trek is TiNA: Trek In Name Alone. Arguably, it’s “Star Trek” (and I use that name looser than an Orion hooker) for the ADHD generation of morally-challenged twerps.

When a series is so thematically and structurally antithetical to the spirit of its predecessors, lengthy criticism is unnecessary. On the eye test, and in the truly beating heart, Discovery is not Star Trek. End of conversation.
Compare the behavior of Naomi Osaka and Serena Williams, then tell me who's the real champion.

Bry_Sinclair
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Re: Asked for my brief critique of Discovery

Post by Bry_Sinclair » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:44 pm

Here here!
Avatar: Captain Reihyn, Commanding Officer, U.S.S. Orion (circa 2375)
Artist: FltCpt. Bossco

amehatrekkie
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

Post by amehatrekkie » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:23 pm

i call it an STD; the name fits since it's an infection on the franchise.
Ahmie K-[ay][aka Adam Kriegel], Captain of the Department of Weird yea i'm weird
STPMA WORLDBUILDING EXPERT[ RIP MJ!!] Normal people scare meAging is inevitable, maturity is optional
https://imgur.com/a/bUvNm

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by captainuniverse » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:35 am

The new generation has broken it. Fix it.
"All of Time and Space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?"

"Geronimo!"

Thanks to FltCpt. Bossco for my Tattok avatar. This is Tattok when he assumed the position of Commander-in-Chief, Starfleet in the year 2411.

Drake
Plain Old Captain
Plain Old Captain
Location: USS Vanguard NCC-91000 (currently operating in the Florida sector)

Post by Drake » Mon May 14, 2018 2:26 pm

TINA covers it well. I admit to being a cranky curmudgeon whose warp core doesn't extend all the way to the top, but I stopped watching the new movies after the first one and will not pay to see the new series. Your mileage may very.
“I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harms way.” – John Paul Jones

"Ooops... the navigator just told me I'm drifting off subject again. Damn my old thrusters!"

Chomh sean leis an cheo agus níos sine faoi dhó. (As old as the mist and older by two.)

Gazomg
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Gazomg » Tue May 15, 2018 11:00 am

Unlike most forums on here you can give your opinion more freely than most other trek forums that are over populated with snowflake morons

I gave my opinion on discovery on another forum and because I said Tilly was too heavy to be a cadet, which broke no rules I was accused of trolling.
Snowflake mods love to use that as an excuse to ban people who have a different opinion to their but have broke no rule.

As to my quick overall opinion, I thought discovery was far better than i expected.
That said not exactly my idea of proper trek as the jury is still out on that.
Loved lorca, hated georgiou, loved stamets, hated the klingons look.
The main cast is thin on depth, harry mudd was decent
MANIPULATIONS ON MY SITE - 1954 - SEPTEMBER 19th