Is it me ...

Star Trek related discussion, information, links, etc.

Moderator: Dancyer McCoy

Forum rules
For those who haven't noticed the Forum Rules have been revised. It might be a good idea to take a look at them if you haven't read them for awhile. You'll find them in the Forum Rules forum at the top of the index page.
markc
Crewman 1st Class
Crewman 1st Class

Re: Is it me ...

Post by markc » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:27 pm

She was at her best when they crossed over to the mirror universe. I really thought her character grew in those episodes.

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Post by jayphailey » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:54 am

Honestly, I was not really happy with the way DSC handled the Mirror Universe.

The uniforms reminded me of track suits.

I think the Tartigrade Drive was weird.

But, as always, there were things I liked about the series and things I would keep.

As for Mary Wiseman, she's not chunky, she has a thicker body type. The one time we see her exercising, she's keeping up the pace. Humans come in all sorts of shapes and sizes.

I do not agree with the opinion that she's "too fat". In person I think she' come off as "not a skeleton", while most folks on TV are really petite or thin. It's an artifact of the technology of TV.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Post by jayphailey » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:55 am

sirus wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:07 am
After that, you either die a low-rank nobody, a hero, or you live long enough to be promoted to a morally questionable admiral.
LOL!
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:04 am

jayphailey wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:54 am
As for Mary Wiseman, she's not chunky...
Time was I would have argued this well into 2019.

Now, I'm just going to say "Agree to disagree" and leave it at that.

Well, not quite: I'd assert that the veterans' opinions on what constitutes "too heavy" for the service are more substantive than the layman's, with all due respect.

And she's too heavy.

Oh, and ... that's not a fallacious appeal to authority. It's a proper one. :tomato:
Whenever someone says they're "beyond good and evil", they're evil.

Gazomg
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Gazomg » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:39 am

She would not pass the physical training in my opinion
in fact i doubt she would have the mentality to pass, let alone fit in with other cadets.
I know when i did military training a long time back people like her would have been destroyed mentally by the others and dont give me that political correctness bullshit because everyone is not treated equally in certain situations and military camp is not like civvy street.

To be among the elite of those that pass training , you would have to stand out among the others, I doubt she would compete on the lower spectrum let alone the elite level.
MANIPULATIONS ON MY SITE - 2196 - FEBRUARY 11th

An-Gel Sakura
Alpha Goth Chick From Hell Moderator
Alpha Goth Chick From Hell Moderator

Post by An-Gel Sakura » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:33 am

Like NASA, it depends on her expertise. There has been zostic people in NASA.
Scientists, Engineers etc....
Starfleet is paramilitary and not as strict as actual military .
Personally I think she does lack the personality skills to advance to captain though.
That which does not kill me ......BETTER RUN DAMN FAST !!! (\angel/)

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:06 pm

An-Gel Sakura wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:33 am
Starfleet is paramilitary....
Don't start this up again.

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:17 pm

OK, rather than walking away, let me go about this in a slightly different way.

Do you consider this character someone from whom you would readily take orders? Remember, ensigns outrank every NCO in Starfleet. That includes, say, Chief O'Brien.

Do you think this person capable of the extreme physical exertion someone in Starfleet might be required to perform in an emergency situation?

Might we be able to compromise on the fact that admission to the Academy is not graduation from the Academy and leave it at that?

Gazomg
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Gazomg » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:31 pm

you only had to see how O Brien did not think much of Bashir who out ranked him. early in ds9

In the episode Armageddon Game when both were on the run and hiding out you could sense O Brien was the dominant one, the one educating Bashir.
Look how O Brien took none of his shit or orders when they were captured by the Jem Hadar

The notion of Tilly being in charge of people like O Brien is laughable to conceive.
MANIPULATIONS ON MY SITE - 2196 - FEBRUARY 11th