Is it me ...

Star Trek related discussion, information, links, etc.

Moderator: Dancyer McCoy

Forum rules
For those who haven't noticed the Forum Rules have been revised. It might be a good idea to take a look at them if you haven't read them for awhile. You'll find them in the Forum Rules forum at the top of the index page.
JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Is it me ...

Post by JM1776 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:48 am

... or is Mary Wiseman's character just a tad too chunky for a Starfleet cadet?
"Mechagodzilla and Titanosaurus are controlled by spacemen. They're moving fast and they're near the heart of the city."

If you're feeding your cat a vegan diet your head is so far up your ass that you can lick your own tonsils from the back way.

Quoshara
Klingon Admin
Klingon Admin

Re: Is it me ...

Post by Quoshara » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:45 pm

JM1776 wrote:... or is Mary Wiseman's character just a tad too chunky for a Starfleet cadet?
*googles since I can't watch the show*

Um...I think it's just you. I must say that those uniforms are not the most flattering ones they've had though.
*~Quo~*

Fic ahoy!

Well, damn....what should I write next? Hmmmmmmmm......

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by captainuniverse » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:33 pm

Mary Wiseman’s character seems to be more comic relief, sometimes. Of course, she seems to be a character that has some form of autism. Probably something curable by the 23rd century but Tilly can be awkward.

At least, that’s my impression. When it comes to Captain Lorca before they found out he was from the Mirror Universe, I would almost say that he was almost like Captain Mantovanni. At least, that’s my impression. My favorite character of the series, so far, is Saru. He definitely takes me back to the Original Star Trek about how aliens were made. Kelpiens seem to be more original than some of the aliens created in the other series. If the producers keep him there, I could see him as the first alien captain of a mainstream starship.

Anyways, those are my thoughts.
"All of Time and Space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?"

"Geronimo!"

Thanks to FltCpt. Bossco for my Tattok avatar. This is Tattok when he assumed the position of Commander-in-Chief, Starfleet in the year 2411.

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by captainuniverse » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:34 pm

Quoshara wrote:
JM1776 wrote:... or is Mary Wiseman's character just a tad too chunky for a Starfleet cadet?

Um...I think it's just you. I must say that those uniforms are not the most flattering ones they've had though.

They could have designed better uniforms.
"All of Time and Space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?"

"Geronimo!"

Thanks to FltCpt. Bossco for my Tattok avatar. This is Tattok when he assumed the position of Commander-in-Chief, Starfleet in the year 2411.

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:01 am

Quoshara wrote:

Yeah.

I was mostly speaking rhetorically. She's definitely too chubby to be a Starfleet cadet. They would have either rejected her out of hand, or really, really cracked down on her physical training until she met standard.
"Mechagodzilla and Titanosaurus are controlled by spacemen. They're moving fast and they're near the heart of the city."

If you're feeding your cat a vegan diet your head is so far up your ass that you can lick your own tonsils from the back way.

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:03 am

captainuniverse wrote:When it comes to Captain Lorca before they found out he was from the Mirror Universe, I would almost say that he was almost like Captain Mantovanni. At least, that’s my impression.
I'll try not to be insulted on behalf of my character, who's far more compassionate, humane, and kind than Lorca.

If I haven't conveyed that in my series, then it's been a failure from day one.

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by captainuniverse » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:11 am

It was not intended as an insult. They just share a few things but in a war or on an away mission, I would put my faith more in Mantovanni. Lorca didn’t really instill any trust for me in him.

"Geronimo!"

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:36 am

captainuniverse wrote:It was not intended as an insult. They just share a few things but in a war or on an away mission, I would put my faith more in Mantovanni. Lorca didn’t really instill any trust for me in him.
Well, in Lorca's defense, we never saw him. We only saw his ruthless, "evil" counterpart.

Mantovanni's a more intense guy. His good is better, and his bad is worse.

I've considered what the Mirror Universe Mantovanni would be like ... and it's not pleasant at all.

Lionheart
Command Master Chief Petty Officer
Command Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by Lionheart » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:08 am

You're right, she's a bigger girl. Look at her character Meg Joyce from Longmire.
She's also 32... not sure how she's a Cadet at that age.
"What is life? It is the flash of the firefly at night, it is the breath of the moose in winter. It is the shadow which runs along the grass and loses itself in the sunset." - First Nation Quote

fereality
Crewman 2nd Class
Crewman 2nd Class

Post by fereality » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:46 pm

JM1776 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:48 am
Nah, just a different body type. Perfectly healthy for military recruitment.

This is the equivalent of expectung all male recruits to look like Riker when they could just as easily be Nog.

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:08 pm

fereality wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:46 pm
Nah, just a different body type. Perfectly healthy for military recruitment.

This is the equivalent of expectung all male recruits to look like Riker when they could just as easily be Nog.
For recruitment, perhaps.

But unless the character is a first-year cadet, she'd likely have been required to shed significant poundage before now (if the series were better written, that is). It's self-evident she's a little too hefty for a Starfleet officer or enlisted member. On the other hand, she is a cadet. She may well have those four years to reach Starfleet fitness minimums for an ensign.

Despite your analogy, Nog was perfectly acceptable as a recruit, because he's not carrying an inordinate amount of extra body fat. Ms. Wiseman is.

Interesting to note that Lionheart and I, both veterans, think she's too heavy.

Gazomg
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Gazomg » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:48 pm

JM1776 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:48 am
Said the same on another forum a while back and got jumped all over and accused of being a hater etc.
Another "excuse2 was its not the flagship, as if that somehow means less restrictions for other ships.

And another excuse was scotty was fat as well, but seeing as he only put the weight on after it rendered wisemans character weight as different issues.
I know , in the sickingly disgusting pc age we must accept all shapes and sizes but my first opinion was also she was too heavy.
MANIPULATIONS ON MY SITE - 2012 - OCTOBER 17th

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:32 pm

Gazomg wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:48 pm

..Said the same on another forum a while back and got jumped all over and accused of being a hater, etc.
You are a hater.

You hate shitty Star Trek.

Gazomg
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Gazomg » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:56 pm

JM1776 wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:32 pm
Gazomg wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:48 pm

..Said the same on another forum a while back and got jumped all over and accused of being a hater, etc.
You are a hater.

You hate shitty Star Trek.
:D
MANIPULATIONS ON MY SITE - 2012 - OCTOBER 17th

sirus
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by sirus » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:07 am

To me, the issue is not so much that she's chunky or not. It's that I don't think she would make it through the Academy. She doesn't seem to have it together enough to pull that off, like not mentally or physically. They can add as many scenes of her running around in those stupid "DISCO" shirts, but in the end, she doesn't seem mature enough. I doubt she'd pass the mental health exam either. Starfleet is about being the best. If she were non-commissioned I could buy it, but she's not, she's an officer. A young officer perhaps, but you'd expect her to be even better fit and driven because she is still young. Instead, she is shown to be immature at every point.

One could also say the same for Michael as well as her mental health is never implied to be anything close to officer material, and that's before she ever even joins Starfleet.

The whole show seems to be confused at what "the best of the best" even means, because that was what I understood Starfleet to be.

Now I've become more a fan of the Union military of Orville as it seems to be a bit laxer and maybe I'd stand a chance getting in, but in terms of Starfleet, even Westley didn't get in on his first try. It's implied to be a bitch of a test and a heavy load as a student. You can't convince me that Michael could have held it together being surrounded by humans like that for the first time since she was adopted into Vulcan society. And I highly doubt Tilly has the mental fortitude to not get distracted by it all or not get bogged down by the class load. Starfleet Academy is supposed to be hard. It's why Starfleet officers are the best of the best, because they pulled through it and graduated.

After that, you either die a low-rank nobody, a hero, or you live long enough to be promoted to a morally questionable admiral.
From ignorance lead me to truth
From darkness lead me to light
From death lead me to immortality

ryjuda.deviantart.com