Login |  Register |  FAQ

Forum rules

For those who haven't noticed the Forum Rules have been revised. It might be a good idea to take a look at them if you haven't read them for awhile. You'll find them in the Forum Rules forum at the top of the index page.

An ... ahem ... perspective on "A Matter of Perspective"

Post subject: An ... ahem ... perspective on "A Matter of Perspective"
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:13 pm 
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

When Riker indignantly asks Troi whether it's obvious to her that Mrs. Apgar is lying, her tactful response leaves unsaid something I'd really not noticed until now.

In Riker's deposition, he portrays himself as a paragon of virtue, a business-first-and-only type—which we know from having watched the series is not entirely accurate. Apgar's widow insists he tried to ravish her, while his version of events shows him nobly fending her off and attempting to stay on point of purpose for their visit.

We've all heard the phrase, "Your version, my version, and the truth."

I've finally realized that she at first came on to him (though possibly as a result of some Riker wattage directed her way), he was quite willing (but perhaps a bit reluctant with Apgar on the premises), and that the professor interrupted them minutes before they would have been in flagrante delecto.

He certainly didn't deserve to die for it, but ... Riker's perfectly capable of banging an older man's frustrated wife.

And that's exactly what he was going to do.

I wager Apgar's grievance, at least on this score, would have been justified.

Post subject: Re: An ... ahem ... perspective on "A Matter of Perspective"
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:16 pm 
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

i never liked that character, she lost her husband, but it doesn't excuse her behavior blaming an innocent man of assault.

Post subject: Re: An ... ahem ... perspective on "A Matter of Perspective"
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:00 am 
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

amehatrekkie wrote:
i never liked that character, she lost her husband, but it doesn't excuse her behavior blaming an innocent man of assault.

He's a good person, but women are his weakness, and he's not a paragon of virtue (cf. "The Pegasus" and this ep).

Like Troi said, she wasn't lying, so accusing "an innocent man of assault" isn't precisely what happened.

And Riker is definitely capable of a little, "Come on, honey, you know you want it," though not in a mean-spirited fashion. He understands women, and reads them extremely well. He knows how with some it's a matter of being perceived as at least a little virtuous before giving in to perhaps inappropriate desires and lusts. Would he push a woman if she resisted strenuously or even more than a bit? Of course not. He's not evil, just horny. But if she gave him a smiling, giggling, "Commander, you mustn't ... I'm a married woman," all while allowing him to fondle her and clearly enjoying it, he'd absolutely keep going to see if "no" meant "yes," as it does for many women of this type—dangerous, unpopular and controversial though that statement is. (Note that I personally do not condone that. I'm talking about my character assessment of Will [and likely Thomas] Riker, not my own code of conduct.)

I absolutely believe they played a little slap-and-tickle, and if her husband hadn't walked in, Riker would've had her, and she would have happily received him.

But in the sense that she very likely was willing (and at least eventually enthusiastic), you're right: It wasn't assault. That is definitely not in Riker's character.

On the other hand, if you believe, as some religious people do, that to have sex with a woman married to another man is an immoral act, and arguably an assault against both her virtue and the husband's honor, then Riker is unquestionably capable of assault ... and in that sense, he'd "assault" a willing woman.